PDA

View Full Version : TAPCO'ed 10/22's... Your take?

thedog
07-15-09, 21:23
I can't afford an "assault rifle". I am a "fudd". I use it for "training". Excuses? Reasons? Who cares? What are your feelings?

I have a 10/22 and a Tapco stock. With a Wal-Mart $30 red dot. I like/love my Ruger, either way.

I have an AR and AK. I am not Tacticool. I just like to change things and tinker with my guns. I don't judge people for these types of things. Unless they are really "posers".

This can include the SKS, Mini-14 or whatever. TAPCO'ed, can mean Choate, or whatever aftermarket stocks intended to look militaristic for "guns".

How do the brains here feel?

dog

Spoon
07-15-09, 22:20
I say do what you like! I have a 10/22 in my safe with cheapy UTG rails and a cheapy BSA red dot and krylon snake camo. I like it...its fun to shoot with. If it wasn't for .22lr I wouldn't be able to shoot as much as I do. PEW PEW PEW PEW :D

The tip wasnt mounted just wondering what it would look like.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3426/3371103793_445dd4bb64.jpg

11Bravo
07-15-09, 23:13
I say do what you like! I have a 10/22 in my safe with cheapy UTG rails and a cheapy BSA red dot and krylon snake camo. I like it...its fun to shoot with. If it wasn't for .22lr I wouldn't be able to shoot as much as I do. PEW PEW PEW PEW :D
The tip wasnt mounted just wondering what it would look like.
pic snip

Could you provide a couple of more pics of the rail system on that?
Specifically the front under the barrel and how it mounts to the rifle.
I have looked at that same on simply for the tacticool of it.
I put a bull barrel on my 10/22 and free floated it in the factory stock and am wondering if those rails would still fit.

Thanks,
Greg

Dunderway
07-15-09, 23:49
It's a .22, so it's not like you need to depend on it unless you live off of squirrel. Do what you want with it and have fun.

I do try to talk people out going nuts with a gun like an SKS, because they are spending a lot of money to try and make it something that it will never be.

An SKS is a nice, cheap, farm-rifle and nothing more (at least when they were $70 - $120). You can bolt all the TAPCO to it that you want, but it will still never be an AR, a sniper rifle, or even an AK.

If you want a "tacticool" gun that will never be used for defense, then just by an airsoft replica of your favorite movie gun. You'll save a ton on ammo and range fees, and have a full-auto that you can shoot in your house.:)

loupav
07-16-09, 20:45
I have a unique 10/22. Houge stock, 16" bull barrel, harris bi-pod. Not all that done to it. But it doesn't look like everyone else's 10/22 and that's what I was going for. but I don't think it's TAPCO'ed in the sense you're talking about. It's just slightly custom.

CryingWolf
07-16-09, 22:20
I am building the same rifle. 10/22 with a Tapco stock. They are going or already making a version to fit a bull barrel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYbsc0oU_t0

thedog
07-16-09, 22:28
I believe I want another 10/22. Unless someone in deep S. Tx. has an M1 Carbine at a good price!
Right. I'll probably buy another 10/22!! Unless someone has a 9mm AR cheap! :D

I guess I'll get another 10/22... cool!

dog

Dave_M
07-16-09, 23:13
The new Tapco is just another option in a rather long line of stock options for 10/22's. Sub-caliber training is not unheard of and if you plan on doing some drills with a .22lr it is advisable to set it up as closely as possible to your working rifle.

lindertw
07-17-09, 11:26
Could you provide a couple of more pics of the rail system on that?
Specifically the front under the barrel and how it mounts to the rifle.
I have looked at that same on simply for the tacticool of it.
I put a bull barrel on my 10/22 and free floated it in the factory stock and am wondering if those rails would still fit.

Thanks,
Greg

Spoon - same here, I wouldn't mind a few extra pics of that quad rail setup. Thinking ahead for my 6yo son's 10/22 build :cool:

ABN
07-17-09, 15:02
My favorite 10/22 set-up has Tech Sites, they replicate GI style sights and a sling. For targets I use Army 25 meter zero targets. I have them on PDF, I can print targets, I minimize them to replicate 400,500,600 meter targets. Alot of the time I use the DMR qualification as scorecard, sometimes a Army standard rifle qualification. I go through 500+ rounds a week, its more recreational than anything else. I'm working on a Highpower course of fire as well as a USMC qualification. To me its fun, and has got my fundamentals relatively solid.

ABN
07-17-09, 15:04
The new Tapco is just another option in a rather long line of stock options for 10/22's. Sub-caliber training is not unheard of and if you plan on doing some drills with a .22lr it is advisable to set it up as closely as possible to your working rifle.

I have been considering a .22 conversion kit for an AR, but I need to do some research. The one's Ive seen didnt work very well.

decodeddiesel
07-17-09, 15:13
I think it's your gun and you should do what ever you want with it. My buddy has a chopped SBR 10/22 on a Choate folder that is wicked fun to shoot.

That being said, the Tapco and the "Arc-angel" 10/22 stocks are shit. They feel totally cheap and piss poor.

I think Choate and Hogue makes a great product. I have a Choate pistol grip stock on my 10/22 I bought back in 1994 that is great and has provided years of outstanding service.

However the uber sexy 10/22 stock system is the RB Precision Evolution (http://www.rbprecision.com/id72.htm) or the Nordic Components (http://www.nordic-components.com/). They allow you to "dress up" your 10/22 with AR grips, stocks, rail systems, sights, you name it.

I am personally saving for a Gen. 1 RB Precision Evolution once I am caught up on my "serious" gun purchases.

Spoon
07-18-09, 03:19
Spoon - same here, I wouldn't mind a few extra pics of that quad rail setup. Thinking ahead for my 6yo son's 10/22 build :cool:I'll get pictures uploaded as soon as I get back home Sunday.

dodge
07-18-09, 09:28
I have a Tapco kit on my 10/22 that was a Christmas gift. It is what it is. It's okay but would I buy another one probably not would I recommend one to a friend again probably not. It just makes my 10/22 different from anybody elses that I know of in my area.

Spoon
07-19-09, 19:06
I didn't get a chance to get to my safe. But heres some pics I found online that show the front of it. It does have a spacer that you can remove to put a bull barrely on it. You can use these rails on a houge stock but needs to be trimmed. I've also seen it used on Tapco stocks, also need to be trimmed. But it is cheap aluminum.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/1808/dsc03442vy9.jpg

http://combatrifle.net/10-22/Leapers%20.22%20Commando%20Tactical%20Quad%20Rail%20System.jpg

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae134/ay84/r3.jpg

Avenger29
07-19-09, 20:56
I stick with the quality items for my 10/22 or any other guns even though they may "only be a plinker". I just cannot bring myself to hand over perfectly good money for not so great goods

So far, I have a set of TechSIGHTs on my 10/22. I don't shoot it much, anymore, since I acquired my CZ-452...I consider it a lot more fun.

11Bravo
07-19-09, 22:11
I didn't get a chance to get to my safe. But heres some pics I found online that show the front of it. It does have a spacer that you can remove to put a bull barrely on it. You can use these rails on a houge stock but needs to be trimmed. I've also seen it used on Tapco stocks, also need to be trimmed. But it is cheap aluminum.
Thanks much.
Looks good.

Spoon
07-20-09, 20:49
I stick with the quality items for my 10/22 or any other guns even though they may "only be a plinker". I just cannot bring myself to hand over perfectly good money for not so great goods

So far, I have a set of TechSIGHTs on my 10/22. I don't shoot it much, anymore, since I acquired my CZ-452...I consider it a lot more fun. I really wish more American companys would take interest in making quality rail systems for the 10/22. I have seen the RB Evolution but thats a whole different stock. I do plan on building one later down the road. I'm looking for a .22 handgun to go with this combo :D But the rails have held their zero, I have a TLR-1 streamlight attached to it which has yet to fall off. $40 well spent :D and more money to keep saving up for a Noveske!

Note*For those looking into the UTG rails, do note it is cheap. I put loctite on the screws that mount the rail to the receiver. I always check to make sure they are still tight. Also you may need to trim the front of the stock a lil to make the bottom rail sit flush and allow the screws to tighten correctly.