PDA

View Full Version : Your next workout

John Frazer
07-16-09, 10:38
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_HelenGetYourGun.wmv

John Frazer
07-16-09, 15:31
For a comment by the shooter/athlete/warrior in the video, go to http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/004812.html and go down to comment #103. He answers question sfrom me and others about his choice of target order, and also discusses limitations of shooting under physical stress vs. adrenaline/fear stress.

Cascades236
07-16-09, 17:12
Nice vid
Avid crossfitter myself. To put things into perspective, I'd put money on most persons not even being able to complete the kettlebell sets unbroken much less go straight to push presses and then shoot.

The above link to the comments appeared broken, can you fix that, it's probably a good read. There are major differences between increased heart rate do to physical exertion and from "stress," i.e. loss of fine motor skills, perception, tunnel vision, audio exclusion etc. But that doesn't mean we should neglect our abilities to get into the fight after physical exertion.

John Frazer
07-16-09, 20:27
The above link to the comments appeared broken, can you fix that, it's probably a good read.

The link worked for me, but if it's still weird just go to the homepage at http://www.crossfit.com, go to "Thursday 090716" and click on "comments."

Wilson's comment is #100 now -- apparently a few above his got moderated away.

JHC
07-17-09, 17:34
Holy crap!

John Frazer
07-17-09, 20:42
Nice vid
Avid crossfitter myself. To put things into perspective, I'd put money on most persons not even being able to complete the kettlebell sets unbroken much less go straight to push presses and then shoot.

BTW it's the run that always gets me on "Helen." I still remember my first time trying that workout -- used an 18# kettlebell and thought I was going to die. Finished in something like 29 minutes -- yes, really.

Helen and "Linda" are the only two Crossfit workouts that have made me feel seriously ... unwell.

BrianS
07-19-09, 17:00
Thats an interesting video, but I wonder why he doesnt really focus on using a better stance and why he doesnt carry his equipment on the belt (maybe there are range rules preventing that, but I would think you could at least be carrying the reloads on the belt) so he can be using proper shooting and gunhandling techniques under stress?

Since combining the two like this is a pretty scientific approach to training I would think you would want to do everything right.

John Frazer
07-19-09, 18:00
Thats an interesting video, but I wonder why he doesnt really focus on using a better stance

He discusses that on the link I gave.

ZDL
07-19-09, 18:06

John Frazer
07-19-09, 18:14
G.I. Jane dude...... G.I. Jane. :( :( :(

100 burpee pull-ups.

The Bear also tore me up.

Helen is actually my favorite but the running is what wrecks me as well. And I mean WRECK.

Haven't tried GI Jane but I'm weak enough that it would take me forever to complete -- therefore it likely wouldn't be such a huge impact. "Helen" wrecks me because everything is just short enough that I can complete it with few or no rest breaks.

Here's Gillian Mounsey doing "Linda" at the same weights I used (scaled weights for me, prescribed weights for her): http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFitNY_GillianVsLinda.wmv

She completes it about 7 minutes faster than I did, and with superior form. :( I didn't feel quite right for 2-3 days after that one.

ZDL
07-19-09, 18:35

BrianS
07-19-09, 18:42
He discusses that on the link I gave.

The strength training/muscle fatigue is obviously harder to quantify and way more individualistic, but if somebody wanted to incorporate something like this into their training, what kind of heartrate and muscle feelings would a person aim for before doing their shooting drills.

Thanks for the link, I will try to read the comments when I have more time .

John Frazer
07-19-09, 18:58
I've never worn a heart rate monitor during a Crossfit workout, but I know what my "maximum" felt like when I did use one (calculated from the dubious "220 minus age" formula) and something like "Helen" feels well beyond that during the runs.

Add in your abdominal stabilization going away because you're breathing so hard and you used all those muscles on the kettlebell swings, and a kind of rubbery feeling in the shoulders and triceps from the push presses.

I need to look for my HRM and try it out sometime.