PDA

View Full Version : Need some parkerizing done...

Razorhunter
07-16-09, 16:42
Does anyone here have a good bit of experience with parkerizing small parts?
I'm looking for someone who has experience, and capability to park a bunch of 5/8" plain steel taper pins for me. Not sure if they need to be bead blasted for or not? Would that be best?
I just want it done right, and the finish to look as if Colt/etc did it.
Anyone?

Col_Crocs
07-16-09, 18:17
No experience here, just a nosy customer at the local gunsmith...
From what I gathered, bead blasting is strongly preferred (atleast by the guy I talked to) but can be done without.
I have had some hex screws cut down, whose ends I had parked. Came out fine without blasting.

CLHC
07-16-09, 18:59
ADCO(?) and I think Rainier Arms LLC are providing that service too--whether or not it's done "in house" or otherwise, I don't know. :cool:

Dunderway
07-16-09, 19:06
The Springfield Armory Custom Shop does a good job, and might work with you on the price.

I am getting ready to get my own parkerizing setup, which is supposed to be a very easy process. You might want to look into that if you forsee this becoming a regular or high volume need.

This guy has some great info on it:

http://www.blindhogg.com/parkerizing.html

Razorhunter
07-16-09, 20:25
Yeah thanks guys. I've done a little research, and I could set up my own tank, but I've just got too many irons in the fire right now to do this myself.
I know all about Adco/Rainier/etc.
Just thought I'd hook up with someone on this forum first, if possible.
I know quite a few guys on TOS have park tanks setup, but I wanted to ask here first.
I definitely want this done right, even despite the fact that these are mere tiny taper pins. Bead blasting is so easy, I'd rather not skip the step, if it will produce best, most durable finish.
Thanks guys.

Dunderway
07-16-09, 20:29
Let us know who you go with, and how it comes out.