PDA

View Full Version : What stock for a middy?

Fire_Medic
07-16-09, 22:23
What stock are you guys that own midlength's using and why? What do you and don't you like, etc.

Dunderway
07-16-09, 22:35
I just put an optic and a light on my BCM middie, and it got really front heavy. I looked into this quite a bit, and it seems your (our) best options are as follows:

1: VLTOR EMOD - available now, good balance, great cheek weld, good storage, good price.

2: Magpul ACR - Same as above, but not yet available and who knows when.

3: LMT SOPMOD - same as above, yet quite a bit more $$$, seamless cheekweld, deployed by some of the most bad-ass servicemen in history.

4. Magpul UBR - Seems to be the perfect mid-length stock (from what I read here), but you would probably have better luck finding Emilia Earhart. Also the most expensive.

Fire_Medic
07-16-09, 22:44
Thanks for your input, I'm down to the EMOD vs UBR. I have found some UBR's here and there but I refuse to pay an individual $100+ over retail for that stock. But hey that's just me. I have been looking at the EMOD as it's available now, and comes in FG which is the theme I have decided for my middiy. The SOPMOD looks good but no FG, and a bit pricier. Same deal with the UBR.

I was fondling my BCM middy and I started to see what people were saying about it being a little front heavy after holding it around the house for a few minutes. And I don't even have a FF Rail, flashlight, or Optic, YET. So I could just imagine. Glad I caught this before I went and spent the $$ on the CTR I was looking at.

I just haven't seen too much feedback either negative or positive on the EMOD's.

I guess no news is good new huh.

So it looks like one vote for the EMOD from you, thanks again.

Dunderway
07-16-09, 22:50
Do not just take my word for it, since I am certainly not an expert. This is just what I have gathered from the members that I trust here.

Some people seem to really be taken with the CTR on a Middie. I have handled them, and really don't see that big of a difference with the basic M4 stock for me to justify buying one. I will probably go with the Emod, and I don't think you would be dissappointed with it either.

Fire_Medic
07-16-09, 22:53
Do not just take my word for it, since I am certainly not an expert. This is just what I have gathered from the members that I trust here.

Some people seem to really be taken with the CTR on a Middie. I have handled them, and really don't see that big of a difference with the basic M4 stock for me to justify buying one. I will probably go with the Emod, and I don't think you would be dissappointed with it either.

Thanks again for your input, hopefully others chime in as well. :D

3CTactical
07-16-09, 23:09
I currently have emod's on all my middies (both BCM and Noveskes) except one of my BCM's which I just threw a MOE stock on. I must say I like the emods on the middies much more so than the MOE. The MOE does make an overall lighter carbine as it weighs less than the emod, but then your carbine will not balance as nice. But its just my opinion...

SPM14430
07-16-09, 23:10
+1 for the EMOD

I have one installed on my BCM 16" M4 with a Knights rail and as stated above, really balances out the rifle.

Previously had a CTR installed and the rifle was a bit front heavy.

http://img.skitch.com/20090717-jyxe75h2n89r6qxe4q5aayy4uj.jpg

Fire_Medic
07-16-09, 23:13
Thanks guys, keep the feedback coming. :)

militarymoron
07-16-09, 23:18
I just haven't seen too much feedback either negative or positive on the EMOD's.

I guess no news is good new huh.

maybe not lately, as they've been out for a while, so the initial new product threads and hubbub have come and gone. there's a ton of feedback to be found in the various forums - you just need to search it out.

general consensus (from what i've seen from people's feedback) is that the SOPMOD, EMOD and UBR are all good stocks that perform well - most of the differences between them are mostly decided on by personal preference.

jakjakman
07-16-09, 23:32
I like the UBR on my middy.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e5/jakjakman/shootin/xIMG_2004_2.jpg

parishioner
07-16-09, 23:48
Weird. I was driving home tonight and I was just thinking that my MOE doesn't balance my middy to well and was trying to figure out how I'm going to pay for a sopmod and then I see this thread.

merge
07-17-09, 00:48
The Sully stock is nice if you don't need a collapsible one.

rob_s
07-17-09, 05:22
My BCM midlength wore a MOE until yesterday when I installed my BCM lower on it. Now it wears an M4 stock, and I'll run it that way a bit. If there are balance concerns this will of course make it even worse as the M4 stock is even lighter than the MOE.

RyanB
07-17-09, 05:54
Running a CTR now but when I get some LPKs I'm going to use my stash or preproduction UBRs.:D

Mr.Goodtimes
07-17-09, 06:27
EMOD, UBR, SOPMOD all work great for balancing out a longer carbine. The EMOD on my rifle balances it out very well, and feels very nice.

Failure2Stop
07-17-09, 06:33
I am sure that everyone that reads these threads gets tired of me expressing my almost girlish giddiness over the UBR.

I haven't tried every stock on the market on my Middie, but of the ones that I have my favorites are the UBR (1), and the SOPMOD (2). As of three months ago every one of my guns would wear a UBR if (1) they were available and (2) they cost less than $350. The EMod and ACS seem like a much more cost efficient solution (even if the EMod is uglier than two miles of mud fence).

I want to try an EMod out as it gets favorable reviews by those using them, as well as the ACS, which has gotten very good reviews by Stickman (of sickeningly awesome photography and WEVO fame).

I pesonally find the M4 and CTR to be too light to balance my middie (16" barrel, fixed FSB, 9" DD Lite Rail, DMS-1, LaRue SPR-E) if I put on anything heavier than a rail panel. This may be because the DMS-1 is fraking HUGE (it's a POS, don't ask).

rob_s
07-17-09, 06:58
F2S, you bring up a good point, and that is that what you have hanging off the gun has as much to do with the balance as the stock. In my case, I have found that I don't have much need for a rail system, which means I can keep the gun lighter out front, which in turn colors my stock selections. For those with an operational need for lots of things that attach to the rails this may not be possible.

I find it somewhat odd that, in the commercial market, installing a rail system is now seen as pretty much standard practice. We get guys out all the time with rails but no optic, which to me is misplaced priorities (don't get me started on rails but no sling!). Yeah, yeah, I get the whole "learn the irons first" thing, but installing that rail is not a prerequisite to learning the irons, and at the very least that cost could have gone to ammo and mags, both of which are far more conducive to learning the irons. A quality midlength rail, plus covers, plus sling mount (if not already included) plus VFG is north of $300 and as much as $350. Figure a longer rail, a full set of Troy sights, and you're well north of $500 (not to mention installation, low profile gas block and/or shaving FSB costs). With an Aimpoint C3 in mount being only $450, and a rear MBUS being $50..... If there are balance/weight concerns with the C3 then frankly I'd put the money I was going to put into a stock into an Aimpoint Micro instead.

Bringing this full circle, I'm reminded of the "go shoot the gun" thread. I can't tell you how many setups I've tried in the house that seemed like the next greatest thing, only to have them suck ass at the range or at a class, as well as the reverse of something that sucked at home and worked wonders at the range. The BCM lower came with a stock, assuming that's what one has, and plastic handguards are cheap. I'd "go shoot the gun" and see how I like it the way it came.

(caveat that if you're building from scratch there's something to be said for a stock like the CTR or MOE that don't cost too much more than the M4 stock)

sl4mdaddy
07-17-09, 07:16
Magpul CTR w/buttpad here. I like that it locks up nice and firm, no wobble/rattle.

vaglocker
07-17-09, 07:25
I currently run an Emod on my BCM middy. Anybody have the weights for the Emod and the UBR? I'm curious to know which one is heavier.

Fire_Medic
07-17-09, 07:52
F2S, you bring up a good point, and that is that what you have hanging off the gun has as much to do with the balance as the stock. In my case, I have found that I don't have much need for a rail system, which means I can keep the gun lighter out front, which in turn colors my stock selections. For those with an operational need for lots of things that attach to the rails this may not be possible.

I find it somewhat odd that, in the commercial market, installing a rail system is now seen as pretty much standard practice. We get guys out all the time with rails but no optic, which to me is misplaced priorities (don't get me started on rails but no sling!). Yeah, yeah, I get the whole "learn the irons first" thing, but installing that rail is not a prerequisite to learning the irons, and at the very least that cost could have gone to ammo and mags, both of which are far more conducive to learning the irons. A quality midlength rail, plus covers, plus sling mount (if not already included) plus VFG is north of $300 and as much as $350. Figure a longer rail, a full set of Troy sights, and you're well north of $500 (not to mention installation, low profile gas block and/or shaving FSB costs). With an Aimpoint C3 in mount being only $450, and a rear MBUS being $50..... If there are balance/weight concerns with the C3 then frankly I'd put the money I was going to put into a stock into an Aimpoint Micro instead.

Bringing this full circle, I'm reminded of the "go shoot the gun" thread. I can't tell you how many setups I've tried in the house that seemed like the next greatest thing, only to have them suck ass at the range or at a class, as well as the reverse of something that sucked at home and worked wonders at the range. The BCM lower came with a stock, assuming that's what one has, and plastic handguards are cheap. I'd "go shoot the gun" and see how I like it the way it came.

(caveat that if you're building from scratch there's something to be said for a stock like the CTR or MOE that don't cost too much more than the M4 stock)

Excellent post Rob. :)

rob_s
07-17-09, 07:56
Hopefully we'll see you out at the drills! :D

Part of why I posted what I did was I got your email about needing to get a lot of gear to come out and shoot with us, and while I think you were kidding I wanted to reinforce that it really isn't necessary. I shoot the matches with my pretty plain (now even plainer) BCM and I run the drills with my 6933 that has an Aimpoint and some Magpul MOE furniture. I even stow magazines in my pockets sometimes. :eek:

Fire_Medic
07-17-09, 08:07
Hopefully we'll see you out at the drills! :D

Part of why I posted what I did was I got your email about needing to get a lot of gear to come out and shoot with us, and while I think you were kidding I wanted to reinforce that it really isn't necessary. I shoot the matches with my pretty plain (now even plainer) BCM and I run the drills with my 6933 that has an Aimpoint and some Magpul MOE furniture. I even stow magazines in my pockets sometimes. :eek:

What I meant with that was about the requirements listed on the website to come out and shoot, chest rig, etc. Wasn't referring to stuff for the rifle.

All the rifle needs to make it out there is a sling which will be under way shortly.

Congrats on your lower buddy!
:D

USMC03
07-17-09, 08:13
I've posted this and updated it several times. Maybe it will help others here:

Xxxxxx,

Comparing the UBR to the CRT is somewhat of an "apples to oranges" comparision.

Repost of info I had written on another thread:

What stock you use on what gun really comes down to personal preference and personal preference differs from person to person and is not something that can be easliy explained or decided over the internet.

Something I have learned about AR's over the years is, it's a game of matching the right part with the right gun. You may try a stock on a 10.5" SBR and hate it, and then try the same stock on a 16" mid-length carbine and think it's the best stock on the market.

Here is something I wrote in another thread in reference to my personal preferences on different stocks:

There are some accessories that I like across the board on all AR's, there are other accessories that I may like on a 11.5" SBR but not like on a 16" Mid-Length or a 20" rifle.

Stocks can

1) help balance out a rifle

2) or if the stock too big or heavy can dominate the gun

3) and if it's too small or too light can make the gun feel muzzle heavy

After trying several different configurations over the year, at the current time I have found that I like Magpul CTR's on SBR's and some 14.5" M4's but I don't like Mapgul CTR's on 16" barreled mid-lengths or 14.5" guns with longer rail systems (9.0 - 13.2). The Magpul CTR is a light weight stock and doesn't balance out a front heavy carbine well.

SOPMODs (for me) balance perfectly on a 14.5" M4 with a 7.0 rail, but can also balance most SBR's and mid-lengths out fairly well. I'm running a SOPMOD on a LaRue Stealth 12" with 10.0 rail and for me it's a perfect balance.

Vltor EMods and Magpul UBRs balance out 16" Mid-Lenghts and most 18" gun with rifle length gas tubes quite well.

As a general rule I run:

-Magpul CTR's on SBR's (short barreled rifle) and some 14.5" M4's (with carbine length rail system)

-SOPMODs on 14.5" M4's and some SBR's with longer rails

-Vltor EMods and Magpul UBR's only on 16" mid-lengths. The EMod also balances well on 14.5" with longer rails (10.0 - 12.0)

-Magpul UBR's on 14.5" - 16" barrels with longer rail systems (10.0 - 13.2) (example shown below of a UBR on a Noveske with a 14.5" barrel and a 11.0 rail system)

I also recently had the chance to try a Magpul UBR on a 20" rifle and the UBR balanced out the rifle extreemly well.

Magpul CTR on a 11.5" Short Barreled Rifle:
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/USMC03_photos/LMT%20SBR/FixedSBR.jpg

Magpul CTR on 14.5" M4:
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/USMC03_photos/FDE%20LMT/DPP_0006.jpg

LMT SOPMOD on a 14.5" M4:
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/USMC03_photos/LMT%20SWAT%20Gun/DPP_0268.jpg

Vltor EMod on a 16" Mid-Length:
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/USMC03_photos/Noveske%20N4%20Recce%20Basic%20Black/DPP_0022.jpg

Vltor EMOD on a plain 16" Mid-Length:
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/USMC03_photos/Stag%20Mid-Length%20Coyote/DPP_0032.jpg

Vltor EMOD on a 14.5" M4 with LaRue 11.0
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/USMC03_photos/FDE%20LMT/DPP_0002.jpg

Magpul UBR on a 14.5" Noveske N4 barrel with LaRue 11.0 rail:
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/USMC03_photos/Noveske%20N4/DPP_0068.jpg

Magpul UBR on a 16" Noveske N4 RECCE with LaRue 13.2
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/USMC03_photos/Noveske%20N4%20Recce/DPP_0010.jpg

Magpul UBR on 16" Mid-Length:
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/USMC03_photos/Bravo%20Company%20Mid-Length/DPP_0093_edited.jpg

I recently put a Magpul CTR on a BCM 16" Mid-Length w/ LaRue 9.0 rail, Surefire x300, and Aimpoint T1 Micro. The gun balances well for *me*. I had tried a Magpul CTR on this gun in the past and it didn't feel right to me. I don't know what changed but tried it again recently and it feels good. Sometimes our personal preferences change over time.

By changing one item on this gun it can drastically change how the gun feels. Replace the x300 light for a Surefire 961 and the CTR is no longer a good fit for this gun, but a UBR and EMOD will balance the gun out nicely. Change out the T1 for a ACOG TA11 or Leupold MR/T 1.5-5x in LaRue SPR-E, again the CTR is too light on this gun and doesn't feel right, replace the CTR for a UBR and EMOD will balance the gun out nicely.

Many times you can chage out one accessory (light, optic, stock, etc) and it can drastically change how the gun feels. Sometimes better, sometimes worse.

The ultimate goal is to select accessories that complement each other so you end up with a well balanced carbine that doesn't feel like a boat anchor.

Hope this helps

S/F,
Jeff

Fire_Medic
07-17-09, 08:26
Thanks for the info Jeff, greatly appreciated.

tr1kstanc3
07-17-09, 09:14
LMT SOPMOD on my rifle. I found the CTR is a bit too light to balance the weight. My SOPMOD is filled with CR123A batteries as well so its a little heavier than stock. No rattles (except batteries) and tight fit.

DTHN2LGS
07-17-09, 15:30
I have the Vltor Emod on my BCM Middy and like it a lot. Everyone who has picked up my carbine has commented that they really like the stock too.

Remy
07-17-09, 18:37
What is the VLTOR stock that is similar to the E-MOD but without the battery compartment? What is that model called?

Would the VLTOR model without the battery compartment be a good choice on a Middy?? I would appreciate any information on the stock model I have specified.

SPM14430
07-17-09, 18:59
What is the VLTOR stock that is similar to the E-MOD but without the battery compartment? What is that model called?

Would the VLTOR model without the battery compartment be a good choice on a Middy?? I would appreciate any information on the stock model I have specified.

I believe what you are looking for is the VLTOR carbine modstock. It comes in two models... the standard and clubfoot. These stocks come with both the cheek weld adapters and long accessory (battery compartments).

http://www.vltor.com/images/blkcarclub.jpg

SapperRob
07-17-09, 23:01
My preferred stock is the SOPMOD, but at $150(used)-$200 I can't justify having more than one. Even had to trade one for ammo this year, leaving me with only 1 on my 6920. I was issued a DRMO A1 last year as a patrol rifle and liked the length of the A1 stock a lot more than the A2 stocks I was familiar with.

The length of the CavArms C1 (A1 stock that looks like an A2) is 9 3/8". The length of my SOPMOD on the first position on a Colt 4-position RE is roughly the same. This is the position that works best for me. Same distance on the LMT Gen II M4 stock I also run.

I'm putting together a lower for my 3-gun upper which will be wearing a borrowed DMS-1 (heavy) for awhile and have decided to try the C1 stock since I set all of my stocks to approximately the same length as the A1 stock anyway. A fixed stock will hopefully help balance out the rifle as well.

Cameron
07-17-09, 23:11
The Magpul UBR soooo good it works on everything...

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss60/cameron_personal/AR15s/3ARs2.jpg

SWATcop556
07-18-09, 02:00
I run CTR's on both of my SBR's. I liked the CTR so much that I replaced all of my stocks with CTR's.

I read Jeff's post a while back when the UBR was first coming to market and I was fortunate to snatch one up and it sat in a box.

I finally picked up a BCM mid-length and slapped in on one of my spare lowers and just didn't like how it balanced. I then remembered the UBR I had and slapped it on my lower and it was a HUGE difference in feel.

I still use the CTR's for 14.5 and shorter barrels, but the UBR is king of the midlengths. I like the SOPMOD for a 16" carbines, but not so much more than the CTR to justify the price difference.

My patrol rifle is a BCM Mid-length on a Noveske lower, UBR stock, Aimpoint ML3 in a Larue mount, a FUG, 6P LED in a in-line Larue mount, and a BFG Vickers sling. This setup balances really well and I can carry it for long periods of time.

Remy
07-18-09, 02:15
Thanks SPM14430 for the information............it is much appreciated!!!

CLHC
07-18-09, 03:15
Since mine is a 16" n4lr middy, I'm using the Magpul.UBR and to me it's the "perfect" balance for such a rifle. Though I've "skeletonized" the stock. Then again, Your Methods May Vary accordingly so. :cool:

rob_s
07-18-09, 05:57
My patrol rifle is a BCM Mid-length on a Noveske lower, UBR stock, Aimpoint ML3 in a Larue mount, a FUG, 6P LED in a in-line Larue mount, and a BFG Vickers sling. This setup balances really well and I can carry it for long periods of time.

Out of curiosity, rail or no rail?

rob_s
07-18-09, 06:22
The thread on Grant's proposed flattop 6520 and a response I just posted got me wanting to play Devil's advocate....:eek:

If you bought a BCM upper, BCG, and complete lower, installed an Aimpoint H-1 on it and used regular plastic handguards with a short rail for a light, and added the wonder-sling of your choosing, you have pretty much everything you need on the gun. If it still felt front heavy, according to this thread, you'd have a couple of stock options to balance that out:

LMT SOPMOD, $200 (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/LMT-SOPMOD-STOCK-BLACK-p/lmt%20sopmod%20stock%20black.htm)
Magpul UBR, $265 (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-UBR-Utility-Battle-Rifle-Stock-BLACK-p/magpul%20ubr%20stock%20black.htm) (and currently unavailable anywhere except used for $300+)
Vltor Emod, $120 (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Vltor-Carbine-Enhanced-Modstock-p/vltor%20aeb-mb%20emod-m%20black.htm)

I couldn't help but notice, when looking for something else, that under ADCO's Shop Services (http://adcofirearms.com/shopservices/shop_.cfm?code=21) they have:

Contour Barrel AR barrel-under handguard or in front of FSB $65.00
Parkerizing included in price. You must also select the appropriate assembly/disassembly service, if the barrel is sent as part of a complete upper.

It strikes me that, in terms of cost, it might be more effective to sent them the barrel and have them make the balance correction at the other end.

Fire_Medic
07-22-09, 21:55
Found a decent deal on an EMOD and went with that. Gonna try it out and see how I like it.

Thanks everyone for your input.