PDA

View Full Version : how to cancel a form 1

ekujustice
07-16-09, 23:12
What is involved in canceling a form 1 that is currently pending. It looks like there is a good chance I am going to get stuck moving and was just wondering how to cancel a form 1 that is pending. Im hoping it will be done before I need to(if im stuck moving), but was just checking to be sure. If I need to move it will probibally be in about a month or so and the form has been out for over 4 months so hopefully it will get approved in time. Also how long does it take to get the check back if I do need to cancel it. I have alaredy determined if I have to cancel it, im not going to submit it and just stick with 16+ barrels. After a 4+ month wait, im not gonna go through it all again, get it all signed, new fingerprints etc and wait another 5 months for the gun. I figure If I need to Ill just cut my losses and figure the engraving expense and receiver are basically the only thing I would be out.

guns4fun
07-16-09, 23:30
Are you moving to another state? If not, just let it process - then send them a letter with your new address. If your pending and at 4+mos already, you should be getting it back soon.

ekujustice
07-17-09, 09:11
Ya it would be to a different state. Im hoping in I need to move it comes back before that but was just checking to see what was involved if it wasn't

LonghunterCO
07-17-09, 10:26
Is the state that you are moving too a NFA friendly one?

ekujustice
07-17-09, 14:03
The state Im possibly moving is NFA friendly

Scattergun
07-17-09, 17:44
just file a 5320.20 and take it with you.

ekujustice
07-17-09, 20:06
From what I was told to file it you would have to have an approved form 1 in hand then file it. You can't file it on a gun that dosent exist till after you have moved

07-17-09, 22:46
There is no way I would end the process unless I was instructed to by the ATF. Talk to your "local" ATF branch, inform them of what is going on(Do NOT lie!) and I'm fairly certain they will be willing to work with you. A lot of people(TOS) like to knock the ATF but if you call, email, write frequently, they will acknowledge your efforts and generally work with you. The ATF isn't the Gestapo, as long as you stay on top of it.

CarlosDJackal
07-19-09, 15:42
I'd let it run and have a 5320 ready for permanent transfer to the other state. I would also check into what it takes to own an NFA item at the jurisdiction you are going to. Good luck!!