PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P15 in Magpul training?

steeltoe
07-17-09, 14:02
Just curious because I've seen pics of Costa and Travis using S&W uppers and lowers recently. Are they evaluating something new from S&W? I saw a pic of Costa's rifle with an M&P lower with bright white lettering instead of the usual muted label. You can see it in the last couple of pics herehttp://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=400315&postcount=84

Mac5.56
07-17-09, 14:14
I would say that the best thing gun companies could probably do for themselves right now is give their products to Magpul for exposure. These guys are the hot sh$t right now, and with the number of people that buy based on what they carry. Big bucks.

bigb4015
07-17-09, 14:30
What kind of optic is that on the KAC?

parishioner
07-17-09, 14:34
What kind of optic is that on the KAC?

Trijicon RMR

decodeddiesel
07-17-09, 15:01
Just curious because I've seen pics of Costa and Travis using S&W uppers and lowers recently. Are they evaluating something new from S&W? I saw a pic of Costa's rifle with an M&P lower with bright white lettering instead of the usual muted label. You can see it in the last couple of pics herehttp://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=400315&postcount=84

It's a KAC upper on a S&W lower.

Really doesn't matter what lower it's on, it's the upper that's the big deal here.

steeltoe
07-17-09, 15:03
The post mentions Travis using a S&W upper not pictured...

JackOSU
07-17-09, 20:19

I think that might be Jeff's lower???

I know in our class he was running all KAC I believe with a few new BCG's he was testing out for other companies as well.

USMC03
07-17-09, 20:39
Hi Jack,

Actually that was Travis' S&W M&P lower receiver. Had his name etched in the lower (directly above the trigger...you can see the white lettering).

Some more M&P pics from the Magpul Dynamics' Colorado class last month:

Travis getting some trigger time on his S&W M&P AR:
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/USMC03_photos/Magpul%20Gear/10de08d3.jpg

Travis was kind enough to let me get some trigger time on his S&W M&P AR:
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/USMC03_photos/Magpul%20Gear/c5e56022.jpg

S/F,
Jeff

ROADKING
07-17-09, 21:49
They just have good taste thats all, Smith is a great gun, In (my opinion) one of the best.

theJanitor
07-17-09, 22:07
from MD's website:

Product Testing & Evaluation, T&E
Research, Development, and Demonstration (RDD)
Contact us for more information and pricing

Magpul will assist in RDD by evaluating weapon systems and components with regards to the equipment's specific mission, environment, and objectives. In addition, Magpul can provide live fire and/or static product demonstrations for the client's promotional or educational projects. We understand the importance of proprietary information, and take every precaution necessary to protect our client's data.

my guess, is they're getting paid to evaluate the systems, and S&W gets the benefit of the a high profile group "running" their gear. S&W also had a MOE version IIRC, which means that they have a business relationship in place already

steeltoe
07-17-09, 23:55
Nice! It would be cool if they did some full on reviews of equipment and published their opinion. Some manufacturers might not want that though. It would be better than the crud in gun rags with a few targets and only a couple hundred rds fired.

JSGlock34
07-18-09, 11:16
I would say that the best thing gun companies could probably do for themselves right now is give their products to Magpul for exposure. These guys are the hot sh$t right now, and with the number of people that buy based on what they carry. Big bucks.

my guess, is they're getting paid to evaluate the systems, and S&W gets the benefit of the a high profile group "running" their gear. S&W also had a MOE version IIRC, which means that they have a business relationship in place already

Here are the S&W/MagPul collaborations. Nice looking rifles. I agree that the MagPul name certainly helps with sales. When they first came out, they were selling at a much higher price than other M&P15s. Didn't make much sense since the standard M&P15A was cheaper and came with a Troy folding rear sight (which costs almost three times as much as the MBUS). A MOE handguard, stock, grip and MBUS cost just about the same as a Troy sight.

Seems like the madness has subsided and the S&W MOEs are now going for more reasonable rates...an appealing rifle in the $1000 range. I also believe there are S&W marked PMAGs to go with these rifles.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/811021_large.jpg

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/811020_large.jpg

SIMPLYDYNAMIC
07-19-09, 14:04
More to follow but for now:

Yes Magul and S&W have a great relationship as we do with many other manufactures in the industry. The Rifles they make are great and the Magpul Dynamics team do run them. These weapons run Phenomenally, are very pleased with these rifles and advocate them to all.

More details to come on the Dynamics Operation of them.
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm118/magpuldynamics08/travSWcopy.jpg

steeltoe
07-19-09, 14:43
*insert big freakin smiley right here*

VTLO910
07-19-09, 14:43

Yes Magul and S&W have a great relationship as we do with many other manufactures in the industry. The Rifles they make are great and the Magpul Dynamics team do run them. These weapons run Phenomenally, are very pleased with these rifles and advocate them to all.

This makes me smile... and it makes me want to run a few hundred more rounds through my MP15T...lol :D

williamN
07-19-09, 17:48

So I didn't buy a "lesser" weapon after all. :D:D:D

BTW, nice pic.

Naxet1959
07-19-09, 18:11
So I didn't buy a "lesser" weapon after all. :D:D:D

BTW, nice pic.

AMEN from those of us in the lesser income bracket seats (and MP15 happy owners)!

jaydoc1
07-19-09, 23:34
Obviously the Magpul Team didn't get their copy of The Chart.

That's a joke, Son, a joke. :p

10MMGary
07-20-09, 12:27
Obviously the Magpul Team didn't get their copy of The Chart.

That's a joke, Son, a joke. :p

No disrespect to anyone, but that there is funny.

SiGfever
07-20-09, 19:59
Hopefully with Magpul's influence the M&P line will fill in the chart and be an even better rifle.

Josh-L
07-20-09, 20:12
Now if you guys could run some 15Rs so I can get some decent mags!

JSGlock34
07-20-09, 20:54
Hopefully with Magpul's influence the M&P line will fill in the chart and be an even better rifle.

Smith and Wesson has already produced AR15 rifles that would compete with the top manufacturers , such as the S&W VTAC, but only in limited quantites. The only shortcoming that I can tell with the general M&P rifle line is their use of inferior barrels. If S&W were to make use of the 1/7 barrels they use in the VTAC throughout the entire line, they'd have a top offering. Their collaboration with MagPul would be even more appealing.

I can't help but think that if the S&W/MagPul MOE rifle is successful, that we'll see other S&W collaborations using MagPul products. A S&W M&P15T with Troy rail and MagPul accessories, such as pictured above with Travis, would make a logical progression.

was21
07-22-09, 15:19
Who makes that endplate sling attachment on Travis's rifle in these pics?model?

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/USMC03_photos/Magpul%20Gear/10de08d3.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/USMC03_photos/Magpul%20Gear/c5e56022.jpg

matt7184
07-22-09, 15:43
Looks like an ASAP to me.

http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=82_132

was21
07-22-09, 15:49
Looks like an ASAP to me.

http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=82_132

Thanks
Missed it when I was looking at their site.

bradb55
08-01-09, 18:27
Has Travis's barrel been cut down at all? Just looks a little shorter than usual. I could be wrong.

sdacbob
08-01-09, 20:25
Has Travis's barrel been cut down at all? Just looks a little shorter than usual. I could be wrong.

I think its because he's using a longer rail system and it makes the barrel appear shorter.

brianc142
08-01-09, 21:06
I think its because he's using a longer rail system and it makes the barrel appear shorter.
The rail along with the brake make the barrel appear shorter. That's how it looks to me anyway. Considering they are doing some testing for S&W, I doubt very seriously he would have cut the factory barrel down.

justin_247
08-02-09, 02:52

+1

I'm also curious as to what upgrades Magpul has made to this rifle beyond the obvious (the Magpul buttstock, grip, sights, PMAG). For example, did they remove and replace the carbine buffer with an H-buffer, AR-15 bolt carrier with an M-16, etc?

I'm still confused as to why they went with a 1/9 barrel twist instead of a 1/7. Is this a holdover from when Stag was manufacturing parts for them?

bradb55
08-02-09, 12:06
bump back up

Kentucky Cop
11-28-09, 16:15
Does anyone have any updates on how the 15T's have been holding up for the Magpul Camp? I have been following this closely as several top instructors have claimed that the rifles are good to go. Didn't know if anyone has attended any training where they were in use? As they say, "anything to cuss or discuss"? Thanks for any info regarding the line. My department has authorized them for duty along with a few others.
Ky Cop

theblackknight
11-28-09, 16:45

Yeah Ive kept a couple twinkies in my drop pouch ever since my copy of AOTTCII got to me.Twinkies are good for long humps. I just wish i could get some of the energy twinkies they give the Marsoc guys and Seals. I hear eating them makes your tactical skills,like,almost as good as the A team.:D

Boris
11-28-09, 18:31
Local retailer in central VA is selling the S&W Magpul AR for $899.00 as a three-day Black Friday special. Makes me almost want to start over!

-B

mhanna91
11-28-09, 20:57
I love how at first, everybody was saying, "Oh, they are only running S&W lowers because his name is engraved on it, the uppers are actually manufactured by a quality company", and then the dude comes on here and tells everybody that Smith & Wesson makes a "Phenominally functioning" rifle, and that he advocates it, and suddenly the anything-but-Colt-DD-BCM-Noveske-haters all shut up and the humble M&P15 owners come to realize that their rifles are not trash. By golly I wouldnt be surprised if S&W moved up a few spots on the almighty chart just because of this thread.

steeltoe
11-28-09, 21:17
Indeed, it's quite telling.

decodeddiesel
11-28-09, 21:47
I love how at first, everybody was saying, "Oh, they are only running S&W lowers because his name is engraved on it, the uppers are actually manufactured by a quality company", and then the dude comes on here and tells everybody that Smith & Wesson makes a "Phenominally functioning" rifle, and that he advocates it, and suddenly the anything-but-Colt-DD-BCM-Noveske-haters all shut up and the humble M&P15 owners come to realize that their rifles are not trash. By golly I wouldnt be surprised if S&W moved up a few spots on the almighty chart just because of this thread.

Frankly that's a big bunch of horse shit. I just carefully re-read the thread and I see no fanboi BS happening here by any of the "anything-but-Colt-DD-BCM-Noveske-haters" aka the senior forum members. :confused: Are there some posts I am missing?

Way to troll though. :rolleyes:

parishioner
11-28-09, 23:44

Rifles don't move up on the chart as a result of positive feedback. This isn't BCS rankings.

justin_247
11-29-09, 01:06

This is such garbage! S&W has a fine reputation on this forum and has had one for quite some time, especially after they began manufacturing their own parts instead of rebranding Stags.

And on Rob's website he says that he points people to the S&W all the time.

Kentucky Cop
11-29-09, 16:02
I would love to see an update from one of the training camps that use them on a regular basis as to round count and how they are holding up. I know some of our street officers have them and swear by them but I really don't think they have a high round count and have been thru any extreme classes other than the department's certification. I did find a picture of a guy associated with the Magpul team shooting a 15T.(not Chris or Travis) It appeared to be a Pat Rogers class in what seemed to be a dirty dusty range and the rifle appeared to have some miles on it. I will look for the pic again and try to post it. (nice photo). Nonetheless, the rifle appeared to have a T1 on it and was somewhat beat all to hell.
Ky Cop

Kentucky Cop
11-29-09, 16:21
I would love to see an update from one of the training camps that use them on a regular basis as to round count and how they are holding up. I know some of our street officers have them and swear by them but I really don't think they have a high round count and have been thru any extreme classes other than the department's certification. I did find a picture of a guy associated with the Magpul team shooting a 15T.(not Chris or Travis) It appeared to be a Pat Rogers class in what seemed to be a dirty dusty range and the rifle appeared to have some miles on it. I will look for the pic again and try to post it. (nice photo). Nonetheless, the rifle appeared to have a T1 on it and was somewhat beat all to hell.
Ky Cop

Alright, I found it.....but. I cant get the link to the pictures to come over on this page. FYI-its probably me and not the computer. I suck. Anyways, its in the glocktalk forum under the EAG course (Pat Rogers) May Colorado 2009. There are several pics in that thread of the rifle getting a workout during class by a gentleman named Jimmy with Magpul. If I figure it out I will try to drag the pics over here but don't hold your breath. :rolleyes:

Fireglock
11-29-09, 16:54
Doesn't look beat to hell at all to me.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/USMC03_photos/Pat%20Rogers%202009/DPP_0009.jpg

What does it matter who uses a particular firearm? If you have one, you like it and it works, who cares?

texag
11-29-09, 16:54
Alright, I found it.....but. I cant get the link to the pictures to come over on this page. FYI-its probably me and not the computer. I suck. Anyways, its in the glocktalk forum under the EAG course (Pat Rogers) May Colorado 2009. There are several pics in that thread of the rifle getting a workout during class by a gentleman named Jimmy with Magpul. If I figure it out I will try to drag the pics over here but don't hold your breath. :rolleyes:

Right click the picture, select properties, highlight the file name, copy and paste over here with img tags.

Kentucky Cop
11-29-09, 17:07
Right click the picture, select properties, highlight the file name, copy and paste over here with img tags.

Thanks Texag. I am slowly learning how to work the Mac. Fireglock, I don't have one and wanted to see if some of the guys that run them daily had any updates on their performance. I could care less about who runs them but it just seems that those particular folks have the opportunity to put more rounds down the pipe, use the 15T's, and usually share their thoughts on the rifles.
Ky Cop

Fireglock
11-29-09, 17:17
I completely understand your interest, it was some of the other post I was referring to. It was beginning to sound like they needed validation for a decision. The Magpul guys seem to change firearms like their shorts, pretty damn frequently. :)

Kentucky Cop
11-29-09, 17:26
I completely understand your interest, it was some of the other post I was referring to. It was beginning to sound like they needed validation for a decision. The Magpul guys seem to change firearms like their shorts, pretty damn frequently. :)

Totally understand! I just want a update on any 15T that has some miles on her. Not just one that has rode in a trunk of a cruiser the past year and only comes out for qualifications. The Maqpul folks is the only ones off the top of my head that I knew used the shit out of them and would actually share some thoughts. Anyone.....?:confused:

rychencop
11-29-09, 17:58
They just have good taste thats all, Smith is a great gun, In (my opinion) one of the best.

+1...

texag
11-29-09, 20:24
Thanks Texag. I am slowly learning how to work the Mac. Fireglock, I don't have one and wanted to see if some of the guys that run them daily had any updates on their performance. I could care less about who runs them but it just seems that those particular folks have the opportunity to put more rounds down the pipe, use the 15T's, and usually share their thoughts on the rifles.
Ky Cop

Don't know if what I posted will work with a Mac. I think this is the photo you were speaking of:
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/USMC03_photos/Pat%20Rogers%202009/DPP_0009.jpg
Photo by USMC03

Kentucky Cop
11-29-09, 21:24
Don't know if what I posted will work with a Mac. I think this is the photo you were speaking of:
Photo by USMC03

Thats one of the many pictures of it on the glocktalk thread. I appreciate everyones help. Your a good man!:cool:

Failure2Stop
11-30-09, 03:58
It has been said time and again that the S&W offerings are viable choices.
It has also been said numerous times that the S&W offerings have basic features that preclude it from some user's preferences.

Pat Rogers did a fairly extensive test of a few S&W rifles, publishing the results (good and bad) in SWAT magazine. Use of the rifles by several different trainers as well as their recommendations regarding the weapons.

I can't and won't speak for anyone else, but it would be far stretch to imply that the S&W guns are equal to or superior to Noveske, Knight's, or even at a more equal level, BCM.