PDA

View Full Version : Steel Targets???

DragonDoc
07-17-09, 16:38
I am thinking about purchasing some steel targets to take to the Sportman's range at Camp Bullis (300m + baby!!!). The range requirements are more stringent since this is a military range. I am concerned about ricochets and using full metal jacket ball rounds out of my AR. Does the hive have an opinion about using steel targets? What is a minimum safe distance for high velocity rounds?

SFC "Doc" Williams
Combat Medic 87-??

TomD
07-17-09, 16:46
Ricochets shouldn't be a problem as the bullet basically vaporizes. Use only AR500 steel @ 100 yds min. & you should be safe. Have fun!!

markm
07-17-09, 16:48
Use only AR500 steel @ 100 yds min. & you should be safe.

I've been blasting AR450 in the 40-50 yard range for YEARS with no issues. The get a little cratered up, but I get them free so...

I keep the other side smooth for pistol shooting at close ranges.

TomD
07-17-09, 16:52
To each his own.

Zhurdan
07-17-09, 17:04
Rigidity of the target holder has a lot to do with it as well. If the stand doesn't allow for some "give", you'll probably crater the target face more than if it's a hanging gong or designed to rock with impact. I've used targets from Action Targets for a couple of years now and as for pistols, I've hit them up close and personal (7yards) with no ill effects. I finally dared try hitting one of them with a 5.56 a month or so ago at 100 yards. I turned the target 45 degrees to the firing line to test (plenty of room all around) and there were no dimples on the steel. I rotated it to perpendicular with the firing line slowly. at 90 degrees, it started to crater the steel at 100 yards. It wasn't designed specifically for rifles, but overall it held up pretty well.

I did notice that they were shooting steel plate in the Art of the Tactical Carbine 1 video, but it is a hanging target that looks beat to hell. I'd like to hear more about those if anyone knows what they were made out of.

*NOTE* Now that this piece of steel is cratered, I will only shoot it at 200 plus. It's become my .308 target. Craters cause funky stuff to happen to bullets.