PDA

View Full Version : "gas buster" charging handle for lefties?

RAM Engineer
07-17-09, 21:48
Does anyone make a "gas buster" type charging handle for lefties? Everyone I've seen vents gas out the right side of the gun, which in a left-hander's case would be right in front of the face.

Alternately, if anyone is left handed and has used a regular style gas buster, did it cause any problems for you?

Any and all informed opinions are welcome!

Country DeVil
07-17-09, 22:53
I would like to know the same thing. does anyone have any experience with the ACLM Charging Handle/Ambidextrous?

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=304

KimberMike
07-18-09, 11:55
I would like to know the same thing. does anyone have any experience with the ACLM Charging Handle/Ambidextrous?

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=304

I have one of these on it's way. It should be at my house monday or tuesday. I'll post an update once I receive it.

Mike

Country DeVil
07-26-09, 16:47
out of curiosity what are most charging handles made out of?

RAM Engineer
07-26-09, 18:07
Aluminum. Not sure what grade.

E53001
07-26-09, 21:49
85.00 for a CH ?!?!?! Does it reload the spent casings before they hit the ground too for that much ? Joking aside, what does this offer that a normal MilSpec CH doesnt for lets say avg 20.00 or go the LMt route with tact. latch for 30 i think?

RAM Engineer
07-26-09, 22:05
Quite obviously, it's ambidextrous, allowing shooters to use either hand, when shooting from either shoulder to run the handle....if it works as advertised...

Spooky130
07-27-09, 08:16
85.00 for a CH ?!?!?! Does it reload the spent casings before they hit the ground too for that much ? Joking aside, what does this offer that a normal MilSpec CH doesnt for lets say avg 20.00 or go the LMt route with tact. latch for 30 i think?

Apparently the LMT's were sold at an introductory price of $30 and now they are $45+ across the board...

Spooky

militarymoron
07-27-09, 09:06

it's the same price as a pri gas buster. as far as what it offers over the normal charging handle (besides the obvious ambi operation), i did a writeup on it here:
http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.access.html#ad

edited to add: a gas buster version is in the works, as i understand it.

boltcatch
07-27-09, 16:38

Less gas in the face when shooting with a can.

I actually prefer a normal CH for ease of manipulation, since with the Gas Buster I'm pulling on the extended lever, while with a normal CH I'm pulling on the entire CH face.

Country DeVil
08-01-09, 11:18
does anyone own the ACLM Charging Handle? kimbermike did yours come in yet? just looking for a review from someone who owns it and or uses it.

militarymoron
08-01-09, 16:06
does anyone own the ACLM Charging Handle? kimbermike did yours come in yet? just looking for a review from someone who owns it and or uses it.

click on the link i provided three posts above.

rykyard
08-01-09, 22:57
After reading MM's review a few months ago, I decided to use an ACLM in a recent carbine class.

The only part of the ACLM's function that I don't enjoy is that tension is required for the CH to actuate, not a big deal in the case where the BCG is locked back (I don't "sling shot"), but certain malfunctions (double feeds) can make the "lefty" function inoperable . This is more of a training issue and not the fault of the ACLM, you just have to remember to use the override when doing malfunction reduction.

One unexpected benefit of the ACLM is that it has less of a gap between it and the upper receiver than a standard charging handle, giving it some "gas busting" benefit when firing suppressed. It obviously doesn't redirect the gas flow to the left (or right for that matter) but does inhibit it a bit. I've done direct comparisons and it's noticeable FWIW.