PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Bayonet Expert in Da House??

Razorhunter
01-25-07, 15:46
Well guys, after being somewhat excited that my 6920 came with bayonet lug on it, all along planning on buying a nice quality bayonet, I now have come to find out, that the 16" M4's w/ carbine length gas system, will NOT work with standard bayonets.
WTF?

Now I realize that bayonets are no longer used in combat, anywhere NEAR to the extent that they were in previous decades. SO, I realize the bayonet lug is not something that Colt (or any other manufacturer) puts a lot of thought into.
However, I guess I'm just wondering why in the hell is there a bayonet lug on my 6920 if the dimensions are not even correct, and a bayonet won't even work?
(That is, UNLESS I obtain one of the rare length bayos, that actually was made for this gun).
Which brings me to my next question.

What exactly is it that I'm looking for, in one of these rare different spec bayonets? HOW do I know when I have found one? (what specs are unique to them)???
WHO made them and when?

Just looking for any info that wll help me figure out what exactly to look for, in a bayonet that will work with my gun. SO, are there ANY bayonet experts in tha house guys???
Thanks so much.

baffle Stack
01-25-07, 16:03
There are bayos that fit a 16 incher, They are all of the M7 type I believe.

9DivDoc
01-25-07, 16:06
No expert but if I remember correctly neither the M7 or M9 bayonet will work as your barrel is too long?...

Here is an expensive alternative...sorry, hth, this was all I find...

http://prebanarms.com/detail.asp?product_id=a03

Razorhunter
01-25-07, 19:42
Yeah guys,
I was hoping to find a different type, other than the M7, which is shown in the link above.
It's ok and all, but I think what little appeal it had, was stripped away from it, when they put that handle extension on there like that.
I was just hoping there might be an M9 variant, that had been made to work with the 16" M4's...
Maybe someone will have something...
Thanks for your help guys!

Snake RAH
01-26-07, 01:40
If wearing a bayonet is important to you, you can get your barrel cut to 14.5" and have a Phantom welded on.

Ross
01-26-07, 02:28
To answer your first question, Colt used the normal gas block because it was cheaper than taking a gas block with the bayonet lug and taking the extra time/production step to machine it off. It was just easier.

You can do one of the following:

1) use the linked M7-type bayo made for it.

2) replace the barrel with a 14.5 and permanently fix a longer FS to it to give you 16" length. Remember, the FS has to be 22mm in diameter, like the original to work with the bayo ring.

3) you could buy one of those screw-on adapter rings that has the bayonet lug on it. Put it on the barrel in the postion needed for the bayonet to work. It would look stupid as all get out, and doing it just so you could use a bayonet on a 6920 would make you the butt of endless ridcule, but it's an option.

Paulinski
01-26-07, 09:48
A little more uncommon bayonet;)

Last on the right is the Duane Dwyer custom bayonet with buffalo horn handle...it's around US$1500:eek:

http://www.fototime.com/57AFAB3A56BC6B1/standard.jpg

Razorhunter
01-26-07, 19:17
Yeah,
The DDC Bayonets are the shit. I've seen a lot of them, but that DDC w/ Buffalo scales is new to me.
DDC's w/ razor-wire or snakeskin are absolutely stunning.
REALLY wish I could afford one, even if I didn't own an AR!

I have never asked any of the guys who own a DDC bayonet, WHICH model AR/M4 they will work on???
Do the DDC bayos ONLY work with 14.5" M4's as well, or will they work with the 16" carbines??
I love Strider knives and all, but for $1500, those damn things should come WITH an M4 rifle...

baffle Stack
01-26-07, 20:12
Yeah,
The DDC Bayonets are the shit. I've seen a lot of them, but that DDC w/ Buffalo scales is new to me.
DDC's w/ razor-wire or snakeskin are absolutely stunning.
REALLY wish I could afford one, even if I didn't own an AR!

I have never asked any of the guys who own a DDC bayonet, WHICH model AR/M4 they will work on???
Do the DDC bayos ONLY work with 14.5" M4's as well, or will they work with the 16" carbines??
I love Strider knives and all, but for $1500, those damn things should come WITH an M4 rifle...

Judging by the pic above, I would say that would only work with a M4 or a 20 incher, just like most bayos. The guys with the 16 inchers + carbine gas systems are out of luck if you want the $1500 pokers. I think you're stuck with Preban Arms offering in the link above.

KevinB
01-26-07, 20:39
One option is to add a Simon sleeve to a 16 Carbine - like Diemaco/Colt Canada's C8SFW

Razorhunter
01-26-07, 20:56
One option is to add a Simon sleeve to a 16 Carbine - like Diemaco/Colt Canada's C8SFW

"Simon Sleeve"????

My only guess as to what this is, would be that it might possibly be one of those bayo lug extenders, which just clamps around your bbl, and is placed anywhere on the bbl you desire...
???
Thanks.

AR-15A3
01-26-07, 21:43
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/Alpha-Romeo3/Hunting/BayonetsOntarioOKC3S-ExtGenCutM7-MD.jpg

I'm no expert but I got an extended handle USGI General Cutlery M7 bayonet back in 2005 but where I got it no longer sell them.

The one on prebanarms are similar to my extended M7 except they're Colt-Eickhorn-Solingen made in Germany, they used to sell them for only around $80+ two years ago.

Every once in a while I see the extended M7 at E-Bay but I'm not sure about their quality.

+1 on what everyone said, either the Colt M7 prebanarms bayonet or if you could find other extended bayonets, the barrel mounted bayonet lug or shorten your barrel or even having a knife maker make one for you using M9 bayonets.

BSHNT2015
01-27-07, 12:36
http://www.dsgarms.com/

DSG Arms carried a bayonet made for the 16", check with them or they can advise where to get them.

KevinB
01-29-07, 22:54
"Simon Sleeve"????

My only guess as to what this is, would be that it might possibly be one of those bayo lug extenders, which just clamps around your bbl, and is placed anywhere on the bbl you desire...
???
Thanks.

The Simon Sleeve was designed to allow the C8SFW/L119A1 to use both a Bayonet and mount - but with a 16" heavy barrel

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Weapons/SimonSleeve.jpg

Razorhunter
01-30-07, 16:40
KevinB,
Can you please advise on what a "C8SFW/L119A1" is??? Never heard of it...

Also, how does this "Simon Sleeve" install over the barrel of a 16" AR? Does it slide on and somehow clamp into place? Setscrews? Tapered pins (doubt it). Just wondering..
Thanks...

KevinB
01-30-07, 18:34
The C8SFW or L119A1 is the Colt Canada/Diemaco equivalent of the Colt M4A1 RO921HB - its used by British, Canadian, Norwegian, Danish and a variety of other countries SOF's.

The L119A1 differs in the fact it has a slightly different front sight gasblock.'

My C8SFW when I was in the CF
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Weapons/kevssfw.jpg

The Simon Sleeve is machine pressed on the barrel --

I have seen other use a similar setup affixed via an allen screw as on the shoulder collar of the OPS INC Model 12