PDA

View Full Version : Chk out my new MT6400C

Redline
07-18-09, 11:47
Hello to all. Thanks for letting me participate in this great forum. I am new so I would first like to thank the "village elders". I just picked up this beauty a few days ago. I live in the commie state on NJ so I can't get the LE6920. I have a few questions. I looked through the features chart as well as searched for a few buzz words in the post that it was part of. But that 51 page post was a bit too long.

Anyway, it has all the features of the LE6920, or at least the ones I could verify. The ones I can't verify are the first 3 in the bolt section and the first 3 or 4 in the barrel section. I called Colt and they said it has a chrome lined barrel but not chamber. They said there should be a C stamped on the barrel under the top handguard meaning the barrel is chrome lined. So I am off to Cabelas to get a handguard removal tool. I'll use any excuse to go to Cabelas. I took some pictures including a closeup of the chamber area. I don't know if you can tell by looking at it if it's chrome lined or not. I can't, maybe some of you can. Also, what is that little rectangular punch mark to the top left of the left feed ramp? And what's that white mark on the m16 bolt? Is that dried grease? The rest of the bolt did have grease on it which came off easily. But this stuff is not coming off, at least not easily. It has the black insert extractor spring insert and the spring is copper colored with at least 4 coils on it. But I didn't remove it. I also couldn't verify if it's parkerized under the fsb.

Let me know if you want me to take any specific pictures (for those who can't get an LE6920 where they live), or just to add it to your chart. Oh, and the ugly muzzle brake is starting to grow on me. Thanks to everyone.

RAM Engineer
07-18-09, 12:32
Nice rifle. If I lived in a restrictive state, I would definitely be on the lookout for one of these. I might have to change out the muzzle brake for something like a PWS, Surefire, PRI/MSTN, though. I heard they just make a few a year, so congrats on finding one.

I can't tell from the pictures, but does it have the proper sized fire-control group pins, like the 6920 has transitioned to?

Also, can you get a picture of any markings you find on the barrel? Thanks.

Oh yeah, I found this thread you might be interested in during a google search:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=1975

I'm impressed with the fact that YOURS has a proper BCG. You lucked out on that apparently.

DrewH
07-18-09, 12:50
Nice! Should be chrome chambered, definitely, and your pic shows it is. My understanding is they started coming with the M16 carrier when everything else in the Colt line up did, so it has been a few years now.

I would be interested in learning what FCG pin sizes your have as well.

.45fmjoe
07-18-09, 16:03
The chamber is chromed as well, and those look like .154" pins to me.

Redline
07-18-09, 23:53
Ok, thanks for your responses. I have some updates and new pictures. By the way, can someone please explain how to setup the pictures so the actual pics just display in the post instead of the pictures link? Do I have to set them up on photobucket or similar site for that to work the right way?

For the chrome lined barrel, I didn't find a C under the handguard stamped on the barrel like Colt said I would. I found a G and an O, see pics. I also found a barrel date of 05/09, and the usual C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7 that my other 2 ar types have, near the muzzle. The lower receiver says 223 like my 2 other ARs do. But from what I understand on the Colts, what it says on the barrel is what it really is. Is that right?

One more thing about the chrome lining issue. I have this carbine, the hbar, and an ar15 from about 1984 (which I had to register as an assault weapon in 1990 here in NJ). All 3 chambers look about the same on all 3 rifles. And all 3 rifles have the C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7 near the muzzle.

As an fyi, there is a C on the bolt carrier, on the upper receiver, and an MPC on the bolt which is almost not noticeable in the picture of the bolt. I am starting to realize that maybe C just means Colt???

As for the FCG pins, I first thought the pins were .154 but they are .169. I originally measured it wrong. I suggest people double check their pins if they are not very technical like me. Let me explain why. The end of the pins have a sharp taper in order to make them easier to push through the holes. I measured the very end the first time and it just happens that the very end is tapered to about .154. But when I measured the holes it goes through it measured .169. So to double check I poped out one of the pins about 1/16" and it is .169.

Here is what I can and can't confirm from the comparison chart.

MPI Bolt....................................not verifiable as far as I know
Pressure Test (HPT) Bolt...........not verifiable as far as I know
Shot Peened Bolt......................not verifiable as far as I know
Black Extractor Spring Insert.....YES, see pics not sure if spring is 4 or 5 coil, but I could not remove the spring from the extractor without applying more force than I would like. Also, insert is almost flush with top of spring if that means anything.
Properly Staked Gas Key......YES see pics
M16 Bolt Carrier......YES see previous pics

Mil-B-11595E+ Barrel Steel.......not verifiable as far as I know
MPI Barrel.................................not verifiable as far as I know
Pressure Test (HPT) Barrel........not verifiable as far as I know
Chrome Chamber & Bore......No C on barrel under handguard as Colt said, but some of you seem to think the chamber looks chrome. I think it looks like my other 2 ar types.
1:7 Rifling Twist........YES
5.56 Chamber.........YES if barrel marking is an accurate indicator
M4 Feedramps........YES see previous pics
"F" Height Front Sight Base (FSB)......Yes, F on left side and 1.98" height
Taper Pins at FSB......YES, they are wider on right side of base
Finish Under FSB........not verifiable without more disassembly than I can do
Double Handguard Shields.......YES

1.14" Diameter Receiver Ext.......YES
Staked Receiver Endplate.......YES
"H" Buffer.......YES
.154" Diameter FCG Pins........NO, .169

Let me know if you want other pictures. I didn't take pictures of some of the features because they are unmistakeable like the buffer with the H on it. Thanks for all your imput guys.

warpigM-4
07-19-09, 00:00
nice ,I want that lower to go with my Colt upper.I don't live in a ban state But I would like the Lower not to have the LEO restriction on the side.I really like the roll marks on that colt

Redline
07-19-09, 00:02
A few more pictures.

warpigM-4
07-19-09, 00:25
great pictures,can you get a few of the roll marks??

Redline
07-19-09, 02:24
Roll marks.

R Moran
07-19-09, 07:51
A few years back, I asked a Colt rep that posted on another forum, a few questions regarding the MT line, this is what I can remember....

MT's are made by Colt Defense, for Colt Manufacturing

The MT line will continue, but they make them in batches, and have to wait or schedule a slot in the line.

They continue with the MT line, due to the states that still have a ban in place, and Colt for whatever reason, does not want two different lines. Perhaps an agreement with Colt Defense?

Excepting the specific features, the MT line guns are built the same as the LE guns..MPI/HPT bolt and barrel(he specifically said every bolt in every weapon is tested), 5.56 chambers

From some conversation with Ken Elmore, who is well known for his knowledge of Colt AR's...
The 6400C uses a M4 barrel, just longer, so it is the same as an LE6920. Same steel, chrome lined bore and chamber, 5.56,
It has a T marked upper, r at least it used too.
The 1/9 barrels have chrome lined chambers, but not bores. Perhaps in an effort to get the reliability of chrome lining, and the accuracy of a non chrome lined bore?

That's most of what I could remember, I posted it here awhile back..

Bottom line is its still a Colt, and should run fine.

Bob

CaptainDooley
07-19-09, 08:22
Mine was made in 2000, but I was told (before I traded my AK for it) that it's basically a 6920 - just with a pinned stock, muzzle brake and no bayo lug (2 of the 3 will be fixed in the next couple of weeks).

Since mine is older it was made when Colt was still using the half-circle bolt carriers, which I may eventually swap out as well.

Other than that I'm confident that it's as rock solid and good to go as a 6920.

SiGfever
07-19-09, 09:27
Very nice rifle, congratulations.

Redline
07-19-09, 11:04
A few years back, I asked a Colt rep that posted on another forum, a few questions regarding the MT line, this is what I can remember....

MT's are made by Colt Defense, for Colt Manufacturing

The MT line will continue, but they make them in batches, and have to wait or schedule a slot in the line.

They continue with the MT line, due to the states that still have a ban in place, and Colt for whatever reason, does not want two different lines. Perhaps an agreement with Colt Defense?

Excepting the specific features, the MT line guns are built the same as the LE guns..MPI/HPT bolt and barrel(he specifically said every bolt in every weapon is tested), 5.56 chambers

From some conversation with Ken Elmore, who is well known for his knowledge of Colt AR's...
The 6400C uses a M4 barrel, just longer, so it is the same as an LE6920. Same steel, chrome lined bore and chamber, 5.56,
It has a T marked upper, r at least it used too.
The 1/9 barrels have chrome lined chambers, but not bores. Perhaps in an effort to get the reliability of chrome lining, and the accuracy of a non chrome lined bore?

That's most of what I could remember, I posted it here awhile back..

Bottom line is its still a Colt, and should run fine.

Bob

There is no T on the upper. There is a C and a key hole looking thing on the right side, and a number 53408 on the left side inside the charging handle catch thing. I am attaching 2 pictures that show all markings I can find on the upper. Thanks for your response.

RAM Engineer
07-19-09, 11:14
There is no T on the upper. There is a C and a key hole looking thing on the right side, and a number 53408 on the left side inside the charging handle catch thing. I am attaching 2 pictures that show all markings I can find on the upper. Thanks for your response.

Redline,

"T-marking" refers to the Picatinny rail slots on the upper being marked with position numbers; ie: T2, T4, etc.

Take off your carry handle and you'll see them.

Jason

Redline
07-19-09, 11:19
Sorry, forgot one. The front of the upper says M4 right behind the delta ring. It's a little blurry but that's what it says.

Redline
07-19-09, 11:21
Redline,

"T-marking" refers to the Picatinny rail slots on the upper being marked with position numbers; ie: T2, T4, etc.

Take off your carry handle and you'll see them.

Jason

Yeah, it does have that. I thought you meant a single T on the side of the upper somewhere.