PDA

View Full Version : LPK's: Too many options - Too little info

Outlander Systems
07-18-09, 18:11
Currently I have the choice between:

RRA

Stag

I'm not convinced either one is on the high-end of reliability.

This will be for my fist build, and I'm trying to slap together something extremely robust. After having been a member of this site, I swore I'd never buy an off-the-shelf weapon again, after my initial choice proved to be a bad one. "The Chart" and all that it stands for, is awesome.

At any rate, trying to find a decent LPK has been vexing at best, and it's looking as though my only options are the two above.

Ideally, I would like to NOT have the standard grip nor the trigger, since I'm probably going to opt for the Geissele Combat Trigger or possibly the KAC 2-stage.

Any recommendations for a high-reliability LPK are greatly welcomed. The weakest link argument applies here; I'd like parts that are as close to the TDP as possible. The most delicate goodies are on the South Side of the smokewagon, so I'd prefer to not skimp.

The problem is finding info on good LPKs.

Everywhere I've looked is that so-and-so hasn't had a single malfunction with his DPMS LPK.

I need reality, no fantasy.

I'm trying to build a serious beat-machine here.

ETA: Missed the closing. Should either of those meet the minimum performance expected from a fighting weapon, or should I patiently hold out for something better? If something better exists, what is it?

bkb0000
07-18-09, 18:27
well dont put too much thought into it, man.. LPKs are a lot like the lowers they go into- just not that important, and not enough difference between one from another.

both RRA and CMT make perfectly good LPKs. I'd probably take CMT over RRA, as it's more likely to cost less.

randolph
07-18-09, 19:00
palmetto has CMMG's in stock, I believe.

when I had the same delima, I went with a Colt LPK. Expensive, yes. But Im not worried about quality any longer...

Outlander Systems
07-18-09, 19:03
It's a tough call.

A buddy has the RRA.

A local shop has the Stag as well as DPMS, but I'm not going towards the latter with a 10' pole.

I was (possibly ill) informed that a Colt LPK will not work with anything other than Colt lowers.

The only current part I've got is a POF Gen III stripped lower.

randolph
07-18-09, 19:04
Colt sells both LPK's based on pin size.

mine fit in a Noveske lower, just fine :D

Cold Zero
07-18-09, 19:10
With LPK you get what you pay for. DPMS parts are not parked. I would take RRA over CMMG as well.

Outlander Systems
07-18-09, 19:21
So far the RRA sounds like the best bet.

I'm wanting to use as many LMT parts as possible, but my search for an LMT LPK has been futile.

ETA: Randolph: where'd you get the Colt kit? That would be an immediate end to the issue. I probably wouldn't even sweat a cool guy trigger at that point.

Cold Zero
07-18-09, 19:27
I heard LMT LPK are at least 24 weeks out. RRA LPK are all over the place. I don't beleive that I have seen anything bad written about RRA. Good luck with your build.

Outlander Systems
07-18-09, 19:30
Thanks. I'm going issue by issue at the moment. My most pressing issue is determining which kit to get, and where.

30 cal slut
07-18-09, 20:58
I like Grant's parts kits the best.

Noticeable difference in quality.

bkb0000
07-18-09, 21:30
I like Grant's parts kits the best.

Noticeable difference in quality.

i still havent seen one with my own eyes.. what sets them above?

spamsammich
07-19-09, 02:19
i still havent seen one with my own eyes.. what sets them above?

They're cherry picked from different sources. My kit came with LMT bolt catch and selector switch. Not sure where the FCG came from but it is the cleanest, lightest single stage trigger I own among 5 lowers that I've built.

randolph
07-19-09, 09:15
Randolph: where'd you get the Colt kit? That would be an immediate end to the issue. I probably wouldn't even sweat a cool guy trigger at that point.

I ordered it from www.specializedarmament.com
I believe the part number is: "SA06006"
LOWER REC. PARTS KIT, COLT, (0.155), SEMI
bad news... $200 bucks each.
good news, it is a kick ass LPK :-)

Armati
07-20-09, 22:17
Stag is the commercial brand for CMT. Continental Machine Tool has been a military contractor for many years. The Stag brand exists to protect the parent company from liability. It has no impact on quality.

QuietShootr
07-20-09, 22:52
I am tentatively satisfied with Stag/CMTs kits. I just added three new builds using Stag LPKs to the arsenal. We'll see how they do.

bkb0000
07-20-09, 23:01
stag gets a bad rap in general, from their less than professional quality rifles.. but CMT parts are totally fine.

Noveske uses CMT parts, to include BCGs.

rob_s
07-21-09, 04:45
If you're going to use a different trigger anyway, pretty much all of the other Colt parts will work regardless of pin sizes since the pins in question are the.... hammer and trigger pin! and a trigger like the SSA comes with it's own pins. which means that if you really want the Colt parts and are ready to pay for them, you can get them (when they are in stock) through Brownells here (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=807/schematicsdetail/AR_15_Lower_Receiver).

I've started down that path more than once and wound up just buying a Stag kit, or one of Grant's, several times.

E-man930
07-21-09, 17:57
Anyone know who manufactures this one?

==> http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/AR_Lower_Parts_Kit.html

This is the first one I have seen with stainless parts.
I have ordered one for testing purposes and will post some photos once they are delivered this Friday.

E-man930

spamsammich
07-21-09, 18:22
You're wasting your time IMHO, stainless is not a good material for a FCG.

bkb0000
07-21-09, 18:29
You're wasting your time IMHO, stainless is not a good material for a FCG.

you cant really case harden stainless all that well, can you?

seems like a doubler waiting to happen after not many rounds

E-man930
07-21-09, 20:20
I won't be using the FCG in a build - I primarily wanted the LPK for spares... I think I'll stick with Geissele triggers. Thanks for the quick responses. I"m curious to measure the hardness of the stainless via a Rockwell Hardness test. I"ll post what I'll find.

QuietShootr
07-21-09, 20:21
I bet you'll find they are brittle.

bradb55
07-21-09, 23:22
Any one know who S&W uses for their LPK?

bkb0000
07-21-09, 23:32
I bet you'll find they are brittle.

i would think soft... stainless is hard, but is softer than case-hardened carbon steel.

CoryCop25
07-21-09, 23:38
BradB55,
I had a friend of mine purchase a S&W M&P15 from a gun store. He handled one from the display and they gave him one in a sealed box. He took it home and the trigger would not release the hammer. He called me over and I took a look at it and the disconnector was put in backwards :eek: ! I put it in the correct way and looked at the markings on the parts. They were an S stamped into a square. They are the same LPKs that are in Stag Arms complete rifles and I have 4 Double Star lower parts kits lying around and they all have these same markings.
So the answer to your question is... I don't know but they are the same as Stag, S&W and Double Star. :D

bradb55
07-21-09, 23:43
Corycop25,

Thanks for the info. Stag doesn't sound like a bad way to go from what I'm reading here.

RyanB
07-22-09, 02:40
Who has Stag LPKs in stock?

benthughes
07-22-09, 03:22
I've used DPMS and CMT with some LMT parts thrown in ( ambi selector, FCG). My friend who is an armorer uses DPMS LPKs in all of his builds and has had no problems. Some of the LMT parts are noticeably more solid/heavier but the small parts are generally very similar. The LMT trigger was cleaner than the DPMS and Stag. A tiny bit of creep then a clean and predictable break point. The CMT seems to be the best compromise as I can't find full LMT LPK's and the CMTs work great as is.

In my lowers I always throw in an ambi-selector, Magpul trigger guard, Ergo grip and an aftermarket trigger. In my limited experience in that regard and with the possibility of kit to kit inconsistencies parts is parts. I feel that all the important pieces ( to me) I tend to replace, all others work well enough. If you want to buy a $200 Colt LPK cool ;), let me know how it stacks up.

Mark71
07-22-09, 11:39
Who has Stag LPKs in stock?

DD'S Ranch has Stag LPK's in stock for $69.

http://www.ddsranch.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=523

They are great guys to deal with

Cold Zero
07-22-09, 11:50
How do Bushmaster LPK compare to RRA, STAG and CMT ?

Thanks.

C4IGrant
07-22-09, 11:51
Any one know who S&W uses for their LPK?

They make several of the items in house (trigger, hammer, bolt catch, selector).

C4