PDA

View Full Version : Thread editing/deletion by mods and/or staff

Derek_Connor
01-25-07, 19:19
I dont mind that threads are cleaned up, its definitely necessary sometimes. BUT - I think it is VERY awkward when posts are modified and no one knows the better, there should be a little "edited by (Insert MOD/Staff name here)", so we are all on the same page.

What do you guys/gals think?

M4arc
01-25-07, 19:22
Generally when edit a post we provide a brief explanation.

Can you give me an example? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it.

Derek_Connor
01-25-07, 19:28
Generally when edit a post we provide a brief explanation.

Can you give me an example? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it.

I agree that this thread needed to be cleaned up, but somethings were changed by GotM4 and nothing was marked.

To put words in someone elses thread without citing that you did so, just puts things in a little grey area...but this is all just my simple opinion ;)

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=3433

Voodoochild
01-25-07, 19:32
I kind of put it out there that people were getting off subject and acting up. So I am ok with him editing that thread

9x19
01-25-07, 20:03
He said he cleaned it up, etc., so I don't understand the problem. If all of the crap is left out there for people to read, what is the point of cleaning it up? Some sites just have disappearing threads. If the person who started the thread wants to have it closed or edited, it seems to me that is his/her prerogative.

Robb Jensen
01-25-07, 20:10
I agree that this thread needed to be cleaned up, but somethings were changed by GotM4 and nothing was marked.

To put words in someone elses thread without citing that you did so, just puts things in a little grey area...but this is all just my simple opinion ;)

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=3433

You need to look at the post again. The non-productive crap was deleted.

Derek,
If rule No. 1 isn't followed, edits or locks will occur (kinda the reason mods are here). I didn't add words to anyones post(s) I deleted them. If members here aren't going to follow the rules they can leave. I don't make the rules I enforce them. Deal with it.

A reminder of the rules if you or anyone else haven't seen or read them.
https://www.m4carbine.net/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_new_faq_item

Here's a reminder of Rule No.1:

Posting Rules

1) Derogatory Remarks – Please do not post any comments that are intentional personal attacks against other members. (Including, but not limited to, name calling, comments of a racial, religious or sexual nature.) Debate is welcome and encouraged. Personal attacks, and name calling, serve no purpose in the exchange and debate of good information. Please be respectful to your fellow shooting enthusiasts whether they are new shooters or seasoned veterans.

Derek_Connor
01-25-07, 21:09
Derek,
If rule No. 1 isn't followed, edits or locks will occur (kinda the reason mods are here). I didn't add words to anyones post(s) I deleted them. If members here aren't going to follow the rules they can leave. I don't make the rules I enforce them. Deal with it.
............................I][/B]

You need to slow down and check the tone. As I have mentioned above - I agreed to the decision, and I am not arguing over the rules.

So before deleting the post in response to Shadow6's pictured SBR that stated

WTF?:rolleyes:

you didn't replace it with "WOW" ?

Robb Jensen
01-25-07, 21:18
So before deleting the post in response to Shadow6's pictured SBR that stated you didn't replace it with "WOW" ?

Yes, I did replace his comment at first (which was equal in length) and then I deleted the whole reply by themadhatter because it was counter productive to the thread. You're the only one bitching about what I've done in that thread. 'themadhatter' is a friend of mine and I know him very well and honestly I believe he doesn't give two sh**s about it as his reply was borderline Rule #1 violation and not productive to the thread. This isn't TOS and behavior that's tolerated there isn't going to be tolerated here.

The non productive posts have been deleted so I'm failing to see the whole point of this thread, other than you questioning me and nit picking my methods.

rob_s
01-26-07, 04:28
I don't believe that this particular forum software records the identity of the moderator that makes changes. On other boards where I am a moderator, we add, in red, a message at the bottom of any post that we edit that says (for example) "edited by rob_s for personal attacks". It seems to work well for us and avoids drama like this thread.

Robb Jensen
01-26-07, 05:48
Good suggestion Rob.

Jay Cunningham
01-26-07, 07:00
This thread is getting a little T.O.S.esque...

Let's not go down that road and all just cowboy up, shall we.

I like this place.

:D

Derek_Connor
01-26-07, 07:16
....... there should be a little "edited by (Insert MOD/Staff name here)", so we are all on the same page.

and....

we add, in red, a message at the bottom of any post that we edit that says (for example) "edited by rob_s for personal attacks". It seems to work well for us and avoids drama like this thread.

Are striking similar suggestions?

That is ALL I was suggesting from the moment i started this thread..:confused:

M4arc
01-26-07, 07:19
and....

Are striking similar suggestions?

That is ALL I was suggesting from the moment i started this thread..:confused:

No problem Derek, we'll make that a "recommended practice".

VA_Dinger
01-26-07, 08:17
I think it's a great suggestion.

KevinB
01-26-07, 08:25
As said -- this will now be an implemented policy.

SuicideHz
04-14-07, 16:31
How about letting someone know when their ENTIRE thread is destroyed because one person disagrees with it?

Ask your wife about my SW 1911 customer service thread. She didn't like that I used the first names of the public reps who told me to go F myself.

I had to recently find out that not-so recently she removed the entire thing without saying anything to me or anyone else. Editing or warning me would have been great.

Instead, I find out when Grant becomes a SW dealer and thought he had something to do with it.

9x19
04-14-07, 20:52
Your thread is not destroyed. I moved it for discussion elsewhere. Don't make any assumptions about what I did or didn't like. Your profanity and name calling got the thread moved. That's not the sort of behavior that we want to encourage on this site. It was an oversight that you didn't get an IM. I thought I sent one.

SuicideHz
04-14-07, 21:03
It's destroyed and gone to most and that's what I meant when I wrote what I wrote. If the common person can't read it, it's no use.

*snip*

sent through PM...

M4arc
04-14-07, 21:10
Let's take a deep breath and relax for a second. It was moved into the mod forum to clean up some offensive language and 9x19 didn't have the rights to move it back.

I've been so busy lately I haven't had much time to hang out and assist in these matters.

Anyway, I removed the offensive language and moved your thread back to the handgun forum.

rhino
04-14-07, 21:53
Since the topic is at hand . . . if I may make a suggestion . . .

When the moderators deem necessary to delete or edit a message or topic, I think it is also good form (and necessary in my opinion) to make a copy of the original and either archive it somewhere accessible to the person who wrote the original, or e-mail it to them.

This was a standard practice back in the early 1990s when this sort of communication was in its infancy and people were just getting their first taste of internet (and before the web was conceived and implemented to help navigate it). When I've made the same suggestion to owners and moderators on other forums, I've been met with reactions that range from non-comprehension to derision and belittlement. In most of those cases, it's obvious that the people who reacted negatively to my reaction had not been moderating very long, at least not by my standards.

Anyway, I won't bore people with why this is a good idea, but I really think you guys should consider it. If you have the time to edit/delete the messages, you have the time to make a copy of it before you change it.

VA_Dinger
04-14-07, 21:58
I’m glad this issue got resolved tonight. I had promised SuicideHz that I would look into it after the weekend and get his thread back up and running.

Now its done.

Thank you.

SuicideHz
04-15-07, 01:07
Yes thanks.

It wasn't as much necessary for me personally that it get put back as it was necessary as proof that SW's CS really sucks.

And, for those that care, first names were edited out of my post. I don't remember the language used in reference to them but it wasn't anything over the top- just past what some people would consider polite and appropriate.

And furthermore, you needn't go far to read the exact same story elsewhere. I only added the one last "offensive" post months after the previous ones because I read that another person went through the EXACT same situation with the EXACT same three individuals at SW.

It was then that I included their names in my thread.

graffex
04-16-07, 18:12
I dont see why including people names is an issue. If someone acts rudely and treats someone like dirt there name should be given. They deserve everything they get thrown at them. If they're innocent they have nothing to worry about.

M4arc
04-16-07, 19:18
I dont see why including people names is an issue. If someone acts rudely and treats someone like dirt there name should be given. They deserve everything they get thrown at them. If they're innocent they have nothing to worry about.

It wasn't the names that got that thread edited.

SuicideHz
04-16-07, 19:25
Well, yeah, I used specific language BEFORE the names...

I thought I simply called them lazy asses but it might have been worse knowing me...

But I was told the names AND the language so I expected neither would fly this time.

graffex
04-16-07, 20:53
It wasn't the names that got that thread edited.

My reply was really directed towards SuicideHz because he made it seem like naming people was a bad thing. Sorry for the confusion.

Robb Jensen
04-16-07, 21:03
Well, yeah, I used specific language BEFORE the names...

I thought I simply called them lazy asses but it might have been worse knowing me...

But I was told the names AND the language so I expected neither would fly this time.

It was the language.

Your experiences with S&W sucked bad. BUT they don't equal everyones experiences with S&W. Mine are 180 degrees the opposite of yours. Neither means others will experience what either of us has so lets not make either seem like either is how it will ALWAYS BE. The internet is already filled with disinformation and www.m4carbine.net doesn't need to add to it.

SuicideHz
04-16-07, 22:46
8/10 if someone has a QC issue with SW's 1911 shop, that is how it will end up. Granted, if someone wants a slide stop or safety replaced, they'll get it in 3 or 4 weeks without much hassle.

But, when they let a real lemon slide, this is how they treat it. Ask Dr. Mark. He knows of someone else who had the EXACT same problem. Reading his story prompted me to include the names here.

You're personally had great experience with SW because you bought the M&Ps. From what I've heard, the CS department responsible for those little plastic wonders is great.