PDA

View Full Version : Silencer db rating?

LocoLobo
07-19-09, 13:36
Having a major brain fart today,could be the hydrocodone,tooth extraction:( (at least I hope that's what it is :p )

Looking at the specs,which is quieter. one listed as 40 db or one listed as 29 db?

Am I hearing 40 db or is the overall report reduced by 40 db?

RyanB
07-19-09, 13:54
Sound reduction, and the higher the number the quieter it is.

Keep in mind that environmental and methodology differences mean numbers aren't always directly comparable however.

SteyrAUG
07-19-09, 14:07
Looking at the specs,which is quieter. one listed as 40 db or one listed as 29 db?

Keep in mind "advertised" ratings are pretty much BS. One of the reasons Gemtech stopped given them is they'd do the rating in a very controlled environment and their competitors would simply stand outside in the wind with a $100 sound meter and record far greater reductions which they would then advertise.

It's possible to get 10 different readings from the same suppressor by changing the environment and the quality of the sound meter used each time.

It's kinda the same sort of BS as every manufacturer calling their rifle "mil spec" and promoting the notion that they are "all the same." Never mind there is no such thing as the military never adopted the AR-15, only the M-16. But is sounds good to the uninformed and allows companies with a budget product suggest they are "just as good" as the big names.

LocoLobo
07-23-09, 06:22
Thanks for the replies Gent,clears that up for me.