PDA

View Full Version : KAC SR-16 11.5

Chase G.
07-19-09, 18:10
Does any one know where you can find one?
thanks

parishioner
07-19-09, 18:13
Costa's house but you will have to get through him first. :p

Chase G.
07-19-09, 18:28
haha:), But do you know when they will be more reasonally available?

Derek_Connor
07-19-09, 19:32
They designate it the SR-16 for a reason, and I dont believe they'll ever sell a *full* version to the civi side of the house.

RetreatHell
07-20-09, 15:25
I know where you're coming from, man. Those uppers look friggin' sweet! Although if you really want one you'll probably have to do what I am in the process of doing:

Get a BCM 11.5" upper, ship it to Grant and have him install a KAC URX II Mid-Length Rail. Then add a Knights Armament BUIS and Triple Tap Muzzle Brake... and Voila!!! You have a genuine KAC SR-16 11.5" upper!!!..........................................clone:D

That's about as good as you're going to get. But don't think that's a bad thing by any means, as BCM uppers rock!! It will literally (in my opinion) be just as good and reliable as the real thing!

-Paul

Chase G.
07-20-09, 17:37
Thats a good idea, My local dealer was telling me that you can get a 16inch barrel and cut it down to what ever you want. He said you would have to get a from 1 not a form 4. Have you heard if you can do it that way?

Palmguy
07-20-09, 18:00
Why not just get a factory produced 11.5" barrel? It's not like there is a shortage of those unless I am mistaken...no reason to pay the same price for a longer barrel and then pay for machine work to take it down to 11.5".

Chase G.
07-20-09, 18:03
Thats what i would rather do< but he was telling me it was easyer with the form one

RetreatHell
07-20-09, 18:50
Thats what i would rather do< but he was telling me it was easyer with the form one

Your dealer is talking about if you purchase a COMPLETE 11.5" rifle, as in the upper, lower, the whole thing. Then you would have to fill out a Form 4 instead of a Form 1, but it is the same process for the most part either way. You would still have to fill out either of the Forms (1 or 4) and wait 3-4 months for it to come back from the NFA Branch of BATFE "Approved" and with the tax stamp on it.

However, overall I do think it would be easier for you to just get an 11.5" upper from Bravo Company (only $475.00 too!) and fill out a Form 1 (BATFE Form 1, "Application To Make and Register a Firearm"), mail that sucker off to the NFA Branch, wait for it to come back approved, strap it to your existing lower receiver and then start having some fun with your new SBR blaster!

The only way I would have a barrel cut down (for this specific purpose) is if my barrel was a piece of crap from the start and I just wanted a fun toy to abuse and have fun with, without caring too much about f-ing it up or taking care of it. But for your very first, or only, SBR I would buy a quality upper (BCM! BCM! BCM!;)) and never look back.

-Paul

Chase G.
07-20-09, 20:24
Thats what i think im going to do. What front gas block are you going to use?
thanks

RetreatHell
07-20-09, 21:08
Grant used the larue tactical low profile gas block for his build. You can see his build here (This link starts on the 6th page, so make sure you go back to page 1 to see Grant's initial post):

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33558&goto=newpost

I'm sending mine off to him this week sometime. If you want, when I receive it back from him I will PM you the pics of it and give you all the juicy details. But yeah, it will pretty much look just like the one in his thread that I linked above.

-Paul

Chase G.
07-20-09, 21:34
yeah that sounds good, I thought you were going to go with a folding sight as your gas block.
I have an Ar already so whats the process i have to go through to get the 11.5in upper?

RetreatHell
07-21-09, 00:01
You need to register your lower receiver as an SBR, and then you can legally attach any short length AR upper/barrel you want to your lower.

Check out the "NFA Info" STICKY thread at the very to of the NFA threads/forums page. It will have ALL of the info you are needing to figure out how to legally acquire an SBR.

Good luck!:)

-Paul

COLT6933
07-21-09, 07:36
I know where you're coming from, man. Those uppers look friggin' sweet! Although if you really want one you'll probably have to do what I am in the process of doing:

Get a BCM 11.5" upper, ship it to Grant and have him install a KAC URX II Mid-Length Rail. Then add a Knights Armament BUIS and Triple Tap Muzzle Brake... and Voila!!! You have a genuine KAC SR-16 11.5" upper!!!..........................................clone:D

That's about as good as you're going to get. But don't think that's a bad thing by any means, as BCM uppers rock!! It will literally (in my opinion) be just as good and reliable as the real thing!

-Paul

Why not buy the BCM 11.5 from Grant? He has them in stock.

Chase G.
07-21-09, 15:36
So can you buy the SB-upper as long as you dont put it on your lower or get a pistol buffer tube when its not registered as an SBR yet?

Titleist
07-21-09, 15:41
We're now getting in to a whole new discussion, if you're waiting on your lower to be form 1'd, have that 11.5 upper be kept in possession by a non-AR owning friend. Or even someone you know with a registered AR SBR lower.

Otherwise you wade in to the gray area of constructive intent. Again, possibly have a friend or family member hold on to it till your lower is taken care of.

I don't believe putting a pistol buffer on a registered rifle lower makes it a pistol lower. I might be wrong about that. There's quite a few threads debating how best to handle this situation, but again, take the safe route.

i.e buy the that 11.5 upper from grant, send it to me, and I'll take GREAT care of it.

Chase G.
07-21-09, 16:54
haha:). i dont think im going to get one any time soon im still trying to finish my other AR right now and i think i will just built another gun with a noveske lower.

RetreatHell
07-21-09, 17:40
Why not buy the BCM 11.5 from Grant? He has them in stock.

Duh!! I didn't think about that:p I already have mine and am shipping it to Grant, that's why I thought of it that way. But yeah, buying it directly from Grant would be the most efficient way to go about it.