PDA

View Full Version : First formal training, pistol or carbine?

parishioner
07-20-09, 14:36
As I sit, procrastinating studying acid-base homeostasis, I am wondering what type of training would be most beneficial if I could only have one, pistol or carbine. Or I guess, the question should be which type of training should be had first. I have never had formal training and I would love to take both and eventually will but money and time wont permit me at the moment. What are your thoughts?

Thanks

LOKNLOD
07-20-09, 14:41
Pistol.

Assuming you have the ability to carry concealed, you are probably more likely to use a pistol in a self-defense situation. Plus, shooting a pistol is more difficult and it's easier to handicap yourself with bad habits if you don't start out on the right path.

Irish
07-20-09, 15:00
As was stated, definitely pistol. Not often do you carry a rifle as your means of defense in regular every day life and the ability to defend one's self competently with a pistol is a much more difficult skill to acquire.

parishioner
07-20-09, 16:00
Yes, rob_s's quote from the "Times change, do you?" sticky is starting to make more and more sense.

Finally, even though I am still training with it and mucking around with it, I've come to the conclusion that carbine is a waste of time for 99% of us. It's enjoyable because it's flashy and easy (or at least easier) and there's more to do in terms of bolt-ons and support gear, but the carbine is not my primary. For virtually everyone outside the military they should be focusing on the handgun, and their carry handgun at that. Practicing with a 5" 1911 and carrying a S&W snubbie isn't much better than wasting a lot of time with the carbine. This isn't to say that the carbine is totally useless, or that one shouldn't train with it, but I see a trend where people spend 90% of their training time and dollars on carbine ant 10% on handgun, when IMHO that ratio should be inverted.

So with all of the above said, I have a couple of carbine classes I want to hit in '10, but handgun is really where I want to focus, and I want to focus on it with a new group of people and get exposed to more and different dogmas.

bkb0000
07-20-09, 16:03
A man with a rifle once said, "When a man with a pistol meets a man with a rifle, the man with a pistol is a dead man."

that man was then killed by a man with a pistol.

RyanB
07-20-09, 16:06
Pistol, for sure. Go to a long class if you can, 4-5 days.

markm
07-20-09, 16:27
Rifle classes generally assume a moderate level of pistol training under one's belt anyway.

parishioner
07-20-09, 22:20
Thanks guys. The consensus looks to be pistol.