PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a 7.62 can for multiple calibers

gop1
07-21-09, 18:21
I'm thinking of getting a 7.62 can, to run on my 30-06, a 6.8 sbr upper and a 5.56 sbr upper. Also on a .22 upper. Should I bag the 30-06, and just look at a 6.8 can.

Right now, I'm looking at the AAC Scar-H SD. What are your thoughts? Different can...? Why? Anything to consider?

Thanks!

RyanB
07-21-09, 18:33
You're not going to want to mess up your centerfire can by using a rimfire in it.

RetreatHell
07-21-09, 20:02
I was actually thinking of going this route as well a while back, but decided against it based on the added weight of a 7.62 can when mounted on a 5.56 AR. Apparently it works well for some, but unfortunately it's hard to truly find out how well it works, because most people that buy a 7.62 can for shooting multiple calibers would NEVER say anything negative about it in the first place because they spent so much on it and waited several months to receiver the stamp and be able to use it.

Sometimes it's hard to really figure out if someone's truly happy with a high-dollar AR-related purchase they made, or if they simply don't want to tell the truth because they spent so much on it and waited so long to get it and just don't want to feel embarrassed if they are truly unsatisfied with it.

Okay enough rambling from me. Hope I didn't make you even more confused and undecided on whether or not to purchase a 7.62 suppressor.

-Paul

SHIVAN
07-21-09, 20:08
I was actually thinking of going this route as well a while back, but decided against it based on the added weight of a 7.62 can when mounted on a 5.56 AR. Apparently it works well for some, but unfortunately it's hard to truly find out how well it works, because most people that buy a 7.62 can for shooting multiple calibers would NEVER say anything negative about it in the first place because they spent so much on it and waited several months to receiver the stamp and be able to use it.

Sometimes it's hard to really figure out if someone's truly happy with a high-dollar AR-related purchase they made, or if they simply don't want to tell the truth because they spent so much on it and waited so long to get it and just don't want to feel embarrassed if they are truly unsatisfied with it.

Okay enough rambling from me. Hope I didn't make you even more confused and undecided on whether or not to purchase a 7.62 suppressor.

-Paul

The Surefire 762K and the AAC 762SD are around 19oz. That is/was the weight of the older M4-2000.

Yeah, it's not as short as the 5.56 cans now, nor as light. But 19oz is still pretty lightweight overall.

RetreatHell
07-21-09, 21:13
The Surefire 762K and the AAC 762SD are around 19oz. That is/was the weight of the older M4-2000.

Yeah, it's not as short as the 5.56 cans now, nor as light. But 19oz is still pretty lightweight overall.

I didn't know that about the SF and AAC 7.62 cans. I was mainly thinking of the YHM Phantom 7.62 can b/c I read that article about it in some magazine, last month or the month before, about it being great for using on multiple calibers. That can weights in at a whopping 28 ounces, and is 8.5 inches in length (that's what I just got from their site, just FYI).

The SF and AAC 7.62 suppressors definitely look more attractive to me now. Of course it will be a LONG while before I even pondered buying one, as I just dropped the $$$ on a SF 556K.

-Paul