PDA

View Full Version : Rookie having a malfunction

txdukklr
07-21-09, 19:54
probably not going to use all the right terms but let me try and explain:

there are four problems i see

1. on the last round the bolt does not get held back so that you can put the new magazine in. The bolt moves forward and I basically find out i'm out of rounds because it goes click with no bang.

2. the bolt catch is very very stiff to move back and forth

3. When i've locked the bolt back and put in a new magazine the bolt moves forward but not smooth enough to simply load the round. In fact when cyclying through multiple round I found a very small dent on each round from where the top of the bolt hit the round.

4 with an empty magazine I pull the bcg back and it usually would lock back, this gun it cycles forward every single time.

When i drop the magazine the bolt catch "feels" like its operating smoothly, its once a magazine is in that it feels stiff and is clearly not moving properly.

Anyone have a quick tip or is this something that needs a new part to fix.

Thomas M-4
07-21-09, 19:56
What magazines are you using?

txdukklr
07-21-09, 20:03
pmags

Thomas M-4
07-21-09, 20:11
pmags

Hmm never had a problem from P-MAGS.
You can spray out the bolt catch with gun scrubber while moving it.
Lightly re oil it and split the upper and lower apart insert a empty mag so it will activate the bolt catch and let it set for a couple of days That might smooth it out a little.

Detective_D
07-21-09, 20:12
What kinda gun you working with??
~D

CarlosDJackal
07-21-09, 20:22
I had the same issues using PMags that went away when I lubed the gun. What a concept!! Guns run better when they are properly lubed.

Have you tried this approach? Also, are you experienceing the same issues with other magazines?

txdukklr
07-21-09, 20:30
its dripping with oil that was the first thing i thought of, I can assure you that i've I've thoroughly lubricated the gun. I did break the upper and lower apart a few times to make sure it seated correctly.

I think it doesn't like pmags, i just went and used a standard aluminum mag and it seems to be functioning perfectly, cycles rounds and catches the bcg.

It's an LMT

is it something that can be adjusted. . . . I know thats not normal so wonder if mine its slightly off or something.

txdukklr
07-21-09, 20:32
Hmm never had a problem from P-MAGS.
You can spray out the bolt catch with gun scrubber while moving it.
Lightly re oil it and split the upper and lower apart insert a empty mag so it will activate the bolt catch and let it set for a couple of days That might smooth it out a little.

Let me try that out . . . thanks

Thomas M-4
07-21-09, 21:06
its dripping with oil that was the first thing i thought of, I can assure you that i've I've thoroughly lubricated the gun. I did break the upper and lower apart a few times to make sure it seated correctly.

I think it doesn't like pmags, i just went and used a standard aluminum mag and it seems to be functioning perfectly, cycles rounds and catches the bcg.

It's an LMT

is it something that can be adjusted. . . . I know thats not normal so wonder if mine its slightly off or something.

Mines a LMT too it wouldn't lock the bolt back until I started using P-mags but I also cleaned it out with gunscrubber real good and spent a half hour working the bolt catch lever and inserting the empty mag for 3 days. It did lighten up a little bit.

txdukklr
07-21-09, 23:23
ok got it

tried to use pressurized air and lots of break up no workie. When the upper and lower are together the bolt stop will not pop up with pmags, with the usgi mags no problem. so looking at the back of the mags i noticed the back of the usgi is cut out far mor then the pmag which has a u shape that protrudes farther then the usgi. It also has the plastic going up higher.

looking very closely the right side of the bolt catch and that part of the pmag touch. Not by much but enough to make smooth operation a no go. I took a utility knife and shaved off a few mm on just the ride side of the pmag and the bolt catch locks every single time and with a loaded magazine pulling the charging handle and release easily loads a round every single time.

Unless someone tells me there is an adjustment to be made it looks like I'll have to shave a few mm off all my pmags since it stuck with all six that I tried.

I gotta blieve there are lots of pmags and lmt's being used without this problem so if anyone has an opinion on next steps besides altering my mags please let me know.

Thanks!

Thomas M-4
07-21-09, 23:28
Thats kinda funny because mine would only lock the bolt back with brownell GI mags about 40% of the time. Swapped to P-mags and all 6 of them have worked perfect :confused:

spamsammich
07-21-09, 23:56
I'd check the bolt catch vs other bolt catches. Also, take a punch and move the bolt catch roll pin about a mm either way and see if that loosens it up. I'd blame the bolt catch over pmags. I have around 20 of them and they all drop free out of my LMT.

txdukklr
07-22-09, 15:58
Ill try and give the pin a little shove and see what happens thanks!