PDA

View Full Version : Shoot first, look for the wife later

montanadave
07-22-09, 10:19
My wife has frequently asked that I check to see whether she's in bed before I open fire. Kidding aside, I hope the woman is OK and I'm sure this guy feels like dog shit right now.

Woman mistakenly shot by husband
© 2009 The Associated Press
July 21, 2009, 5:49PM

WILLIS, Texas — A woman is in critical condition at a Houston hospital after she was shot by her husband, who mistook her for an intruder.
Twenty-seven-year-old Sarah Hanel, of Willis, was shot once in the chest early Tuesday in her home. Montgomery County sheriff's deputies found her 24-year-old husband, Justin Hanel, trying to help the wounded woman when they arrived.
Montgomery County sheriff's investigators said the husband told officers that he woke up in the middle of the night and believed an intruder had broken into their home and fired a handgun several times.
Montgomery County Sheriff's Lt. Dan Norris said Sarah Hanel had gotten up to use the bathroom.
Justin Hanel was not arrested. The case is under investigation.
Ann Brimberry at Memorial Hermann Hospital said additional information on Sarah Hanel was not available.

Jay Cunningham
07-22-09, 10:24
Weapon-mounted light.

Know your target and consider the area around your target.

'Nuff said.

ST911
07-22-09, 10:25
Tactics FAIL
Target ID FAIL
Marital FAIL

A-Bear680
07-22-09, 11:32
Needed remedial training in commo , planning & coordination.

decodeddiesel
07-22-09, 11:43
Tactics FAIL
Target ID FAIL
Marital FAIL

I know it's sick...but that was a LOL moment.

kaiservontexas
07-22-09, 12:08
Why I keep a big old d-cell MagLite next to me as the first thing I can grab. G2 SureFire next to that and then I would have to reaaaaaaccccccchhhhhhh to grab my gun. This way I am awake and yep I got a weapon light to Streamlight.

RogerinTPA
07-22-09, 12:13
Tactics FAIL
Target ID FAIL
Marital FAIL

In complete agreement here.

A for shot placement.

F for not using a light to ID the target.

Byron
07-22-09, 12:57
Could also have been a plan to try to murder his wife. With stupidity like that, you can't rule anything out.

DragonDoc
07-22-09, 13:08
I always account for my family members before I move downstairs. A good light by the bedside helps with positive id issues. Can you imagine if the couple had school age kids who are up most of the night? This was a bad deal all around. I was raised to make sure that I identified myself if challenged. I didn't want my mother to mistake me for an intruder and have this happen.

diving dave
07-22-09, 13:44
Hmmm...Be sure of your target and whats beyond it...If it was an accident, feel bad for the guy but.....FAIL

Littlelebowski
07-22-09, 13:47
Embarrassing and sad.

EzGoingKev
07-22-09, 14:03
Could also have been a plan to try to murder his wife. With stupidity like that, you can't rule anything out.
My buddy's mother in law lives with them and I could see this happening "accidentally".

ZDL
07-22-09, 14:04

RogerinTPA
07-22-09, 14:51
Embarrassing and sad.

Sad that this kind of incident happens too often. I hope this wasn't a plot to kill off the misses.

PRGGodfather
07-22-09, 15:28
It was an accident. Suuuuuuuure...

CryingWolf
07-22-09, 15:45
Weapon-mounted light.

Know your target and consider the area around your target.

'Nuff said.

I don't have a weapon mounted light but I keep a flashlight or two on the nightstand. Can't agree more with the KNOW YOUR TARGET and the area around your target!

Dunderway
07-22-09, 20:37
I don't even have to look. If I wake up without a knee in my back or an elbow in my neck, then I know the woman isn't in bed with me.

Seriously though. How could this guy have woken up, retrieved his gun and left the bedroom without noticing if his wife was still in bed? As others have stated, this sounds a little fishy.

Gramps
07-22-09, 22:23
I would like to know the real truth on this one.

Shouldn't make an assumption here with this little info, but so far it smells like "Carp" to me.

If I don't hear my wife "Snoring" then she isn't in our bed. Might be in another due to my "Snoring". But I would be very cautious, and want to know where she was first. (No matter how bad of a fight we may have had)

Rock-N-Ruin
07-22-09, 23:05
about 5 years ago, we had a local LE who had "accidently" fatally shot his wife (between the eyes) while cleaning his service weapon.. My initial thought was "ya right" Something sounded wrong with that one also... For a home defense weapon a light is mandatory as is identifying your target before the "spray and pray" comes into play... Geeeeze!!!!

montanadave
07-22-09, 23:49
I suggested to my wife that she wear a cow bell around her neck at night but she explained that this would be an unnecessary precaution, what with my Glock shoved up my ass and all. I guess either way, the situation is moo. :D

JSantoro
07-23-09, 10:09
It was an accident. Suuuuuuuure...

There's a misogynistic dishwashing joke floating somewhere around in here.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-23-09, 10:36
I was highly confident in my nightime ninja skills till I started waking up in the morning with my 4 year between my wife and I. Midget zombies are going to get inside my perimiter :D

Had a smoke alarm fail a few months ago at 3am. I think the fact that we had the lights on quickly just highlighted how long I was in cave-man mode. My higher functions were pissed that the rest of my body didn't seem to want to get with the program. With the lights off and awoken suddenly, I don't appreciate how compromised I am.

Multiple shots and one hit, that is telling too. I do assume that she wasn't trying to strangle him in his sleep either.

SteyrAUG
07-23-09, 11:48
Always positively ID your target....especially if you have kids.

I know you don't expect your daughter to be climbing back in the window at 3am...but that is probably who it is.

CaptainDooley
07-24-09, 11:57

I know you don't expect your daughter to be climbing back in the window at 3am...but that is probably who it is.

Yeah, that will be a very frank conversation...

"Honey - you're my child. And as my child you will want to do the same stupid things that I did at your age. Just remember, unlike my father, I sleep with a gun next to my head and when challenged, you had better ID yourself - even if you are sneaking in. Oh, and if I don't know one of your "friends" he better not be sneaking in at all.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-24-09, 12:19

Rounds after the fleeing car are kosher though.

MarshallDodge
07-24-09, 12:25
Pretty tragic if it was an accident. I wish her the best in recovery and hope that they learn from their mistakes by getting some good training.

Rounds after the fleeing car are kosher though.
That's funny! :D