PDA

View Full Version : SDM-R

alien319
01-27-07, 00:26
I know this is a little bit off subject of M4's but has anybody ever fired a DPMS SDM-R? I held one the other day and I really liked it. What do you guys think of DPMS? I have hear both good and bad about them, but I have to tell you the fit and finish on this rifle was pretty darn good. I mean I have shot and held Bushmasters and Rock River Arms rifles that were just as solid but I have never used a DPMS Rifle. Please let me know what you all think.

Stickman
01-27-07, 12:04
It depends on what you want to do with the weapon. DPMS AR15s have been known to go down with frequency in training classes, but there are a lot of people who have had good luck with them.

You may find it cheaper in the long run to go with a custom build. You can build a similar weapon for slightly more, and go with top of the line parts, which saves you money in the end if you plan on running the weapon hard, or keeping it long term.

alien319
01-27-07, 21:10
What has failed on the DPMS rifles if you don't mind me asking? I am just curious. I had someone recommend them but would like to hear others opinions about them.

Rob96
01-28-07, 05:57
DPMS has had some bolts break due to either improper heat treat or hydrogen embrittlemen for the chromed bolts. Another problem they had was barrels that were marked 5.56 cahmbers were actually 223 chambered. Now chambers are as marked.

alien319
01-28-07, 12:32
Thanks Rob, I will take that into consideration as I want to assemble a AR in the next few months. That is as long as the wife doesn't mind.