PDA

View Full Version : Ammunition: how much & where to store

Warg
07-22-09, 11:54
Greetings,

I've tried searching this site for an appropriate answer, but the search function keeps bugging out on me.

For the past couple of years I have been accumulating ammunition with a couple of batch purchases per month including a very large sum from my relative. I think it is unwise to keep all of this in one location for SHTF scenarios (God forbid my home burns to the ground) and was wondering what might be an alternative storage solution or solutions. I only own one home at the moment with a detached garage...perhaps moving some of this to a climate controlled sorage and/or my relative's home (6 hour drive, but remote rural location)?

Finally, how much is enough? I'd estimate I have between 13,000 to 15,000 rounds of .223. Should I keep on buying? Seems like much more than my family would need (two :D), but might be good for barter.

Thanks,

Gene

RogerinTPA
07-22-09, 13:43
Greetings,

I've tried searching this site for an appropriate answer, but the search function keeps bugging out on me.

For the past couple of years I have been accumulating ammunition with a couple of batch purchases per month including a very large sum from my relative. I think it is unwise to keep all of this in one location for SHTF scenarios (God forbid my home burns to the ground) and was wondering what might be an alternative storage solution or solutions. I only own one home at the moment with a detached garage...perhaps moving some of this to a climate controlled sorage and/or my relative's home (6 hour drive, but remote rural location)?

Finally, how much is enough? I'd estimate I have between 13,000 to 15,000 rounds of .223. Should I keep on buying? Seems like much more than my family would need (two :D), but might be good for barter.

Thanks,

Gene

As long as the ammo cases are unopened, they will be good for long term storage. They are packed in heavy gauge plastic. For opened cases, I use military ammo cans, that have a rubber O ring to seal out the moisture, with a moisture absorbing silicate packet, thrown in for good measure.

Storing half your stash (ammo/food/water/medical) in a rural area as a shtf fall back position, is not a bad idea, in case of evacuation. Moving all of your ammo, food water, etc... once the SHTF, would be impractical to me. Breaking your ammo down in travel/Grab and GO packs, would be more logical. Don't forget to include water, food, medical supplies, in case of vehicle break down. I'd also include and E&E (escape and evade) web gear type set up and/or back pack, with filled mags for both primary and secondary weapon, food, water, and med/trauma kit, and a good two way radio with 20 mile range, as a back up to the cell phone, in case you have to abandon your vehicle and walk to the fall back position.

Ammo: You can never have enough. To practice with, SHTF, sharing with like minded family and friends. Using ammo for bartering, as you pointed out, would be a very hard currency to those without it. Besides, you'll never know when and if it will be outlawed or legislated out of reach.

Ga Shooter
07-22-09, 16:20
Where do you get a radio with a 20 mile range? How much do they cost and is that wooded miles or open miles?

RogerinTPA
07-22-09, 16:30
I bought a pair of those midland radios for under $100.00 from sportsmanguide a couple of years ago. The link has them up to 36 miles. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/search/search.asp?r=Page%3A%2FDefault.asp+KW+Box&s=SEARCH&a=search&k=two+way+radios Most civilian VHF radios are LOS (Line of Sight), so if terrain is between you and the other radio, you are SOL. UHF radios, are much better all terrain radios. Drawbacks, you need a FCC license and are MUCH more expensive. They too, can have limited range due to the same LOS limitations, but with a SATCOM phone, you're covered world wide, but you will have car payment phone bills.:eek: I also remember during Katrina, most cell phone became inop, except for folks with a blackberry. They could send text and email.

The_War_Wagon
07-22-09, 16:45
I've got a set of 36 mile-range Midland radios too. In Pittsburgh, they're good for about... a half mile. :(

MURS band frequencies are better, the band is lightly used, and there are no funky licensing requirements. That'll net you about 3-4 miles in flat terrain.

For 20 miles (or more!), you'll want something like a good peaked and tuned Cobra 148GTL or Galaxy DX959, and at least a 700 watt Fatboy linear pushing it... uhmmm, not that I would know anything PERSONALLY about such setups... :cool:

Ga Shooter
07-22-09, 20:00
I wouldn't know anything personally about linear amps and cbs either but that would not be very portable (or so I have heard).

FLGator
07-23-09, 10:41
I don't see myself ever building up a stash that big but I do wonder where I should keep ammo other than in my bedroom closet. I live in Florida so temps in my garage get pretty high and in my attic it probably tops 130. I don't think temp fluctuations like that would be good for the ammo over a long period of time.

Warg
07-23-09, 12:23
Tell you the truth, I didn't plan on such a large stash either. Just sort of happened. The "gift" from my relative was huge at approx 9K rounds!

For storage, use of military cans with noncorrosive ammo should be okay. I recall reading that temps below 150 F are okay (don't think you have to worry about the other end of the spectrum), but others may want to corroborate.

Used to live in Florida, man what a sauna! Was in Orlando about a month ago and couldn't stop sweating.

Thanks for the advice all! I think I've got the medical and food/water situation covered, but apparently need to invest in some quality communication devices and more GO packs.

Cheers,

Gene

Hayduke
07-24-09, 17:02
storing a batch in a remote location is a very wise idea. in the event that "they" are searching cars at roadblocks under a marshall-law type SHTF and you are not playing the E&E game off the roads having a "clean" vehicle may be a wise idea to make sure you get to your rural retreat....just a thought.

MarshallDodge
07-24-09, 17:11
I feel that anything over 500 rounds per person is probably only good for bartering. If you are in a self defense scenario, and you shoot more than that, then count yourself lucky if you survive and go take the bad guys ammo that you just defeated. :D

Mr.Goodtimes
07-24-09, 17:23
I feel that anything over 500 rounds per person is probably only good for bartering. If you are in a self defense scenario, and you shoot more than that, then count yourself lucky if you survive and go take the bad guys ammo that you just defeated. :D

This x2

My SHTF ammo stash is 300 rds 75gr 5.56 TAP loaded into 10 magazines. If i have to use more then that, then things are gettin pretty ugly and ill just pick it up from those who disturbed my peace.

EDIT: its a great idea, though, if you have the money to keep lots of spare ammo in a different, isolated location. Right now, a huge ammo stock pile is not my top concern, however, once i get everything else squared away ill start building a huge ammo stockpile in the case of an extended shtf event.

Warg
07-24-09, 17:29
This x2

My SHTF ammo stash is 300 rds 75gr 5.56 TAP loaded into 10 magazines. If i have to use more then that, then things are gettin pretty ugly and ill just pick it up from those who disturbed my peace.

EDIT: its a great idea, though, if you have the money to keep lots of spare ammo in a different, isolated location. Right now, a huge ammo stock pile is not my top concern, however, once i get everything else squared away ill start building a huge ammo stockpile in the case of an extended shtf event.

My worst case SHTF scenario would be an extended event. I hope it's not 500 rounds per encounter :eek:

PA PATRIOT
07-25-09, 00:30
While its "NOT" the best stuff by far I have a case (1000rds) of Wolf 55gr Copper H/P's, a case (1000rds) of Federal 9mm 115gr +P+ H/P's, 2500rds of .22LR, 200rds of buckshot and 200rds of slugs plus 500rds of .44 magnum at both of are bug out locations. Each location has ten Mil-Spec AR magazines followed by ten Hi-Cap Glock magazines and 10 steel lipped 10/22 magazines. While all the loads are not the best stuff on the market I was able to afford it just to sit around. As to the weapons a "Random" "Basic" search of my vehicle would have negative results for two Bushies and Glocks, and while I would hate to go this route I will not allow my family to be sheep and a world of predators. My bug out locations each have a Ruger 10/22, Remington 870, Winchester Model 94 Trapper .44mag, H&R .223/5.56 scoped single shot and Hi-Point 9mm Carbine. These were all very low cost used firearms which function 100% so we would have something just encase the home base was not accessible before the bug-out. Its not the best stuff but its better then throwing rocks.