PDA

View Full Version : If you wanted to be a (hobby) 1911 gunsmith, what would you do?

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-22-09, 12:05
Hey guys,

I have been fooling with guns for about 20 years. Before that I was a car guy. I have always been a tinkerer and all my buddies always bring their gun related issues to me to figure out. . I have fitted beavertails, safeties, etc, but I haven't built a 1911 from parts and I have never fitted a barrel.

Anyway, I am an attorney by trade and I don't plan on being a gunsmith for hire, but I enjoy working on guns--especially 1911s. If you really wanted to make yourself expert in working on 1911s what path would you take? Obviously, I can't drive to W VA and apprentice at Novak's because I have a job. I could (and probably will) take the Vicker's or C&S 1911 class.

I have the Kuhausen books (my favorite toilet reading) and I have a few other minor books on gunsmithing (the popular one by Sweeny, etc).

There really aren't any decent 1911 gunsmiths in the middle GA area (that I am aware of), and I doubt they would be willing to teach me if there were.

Anyway, help me brainstorm. Again, this is a hobby, like woodworking, not a solicitation for a business model.

For example, I was thinking about signing up for machinists classes at the local tech school. Perhaps I should buy one of those CNC mini-mills I see around?

Littlelebowski
07-22-09, 12:07
I have a friend that's getting to be a well known gunsmith. He's been working on a class for folks like you. His username on here is Firemoth. Travis Haley recommended his work.

theJanitor
07-22-09, 12:15
From what i've heard, the Vickers class is one of the best starting points. as it's mainly about functionality and proper operation/timing. the machining techniques are more for aesthetics and appearance.

I have a LAV 1911, and i would LOVE to get to his pistolsmithing course and bring that gun along with me.

I believe Terry Tussey also has 4-5 day pistolsmithing courses in CA as well. He's getting old, so if you plan on attending, do it soon.

Shane1
07-22-09, 14:44
Greg,

Ill take one for the gang, I have a mil-spec you can experiment on. Just need a new thumb safety. :) FWIW, I hadnt personally been thru the Vickers course but 2 of my better friends have. They both stated it was one of the best courses they have attended for the 1911. Both have armorer backgrounds and know thier stuff. Again, for what its worth.

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-22-09, 19:03
Shane,

I can certainly fit a thumb safety! That I can manage.

Avenger29
07-22-09, 19:09
For example, I was thinking about signing up for machinists classes at the local tech school. Perhaps I should buy one of those CNC mini-mills I see around?

Our local tech college offers a gunsmithing course, and as part of it, you take machining, welding, and woodworking classes, so definitely look at those.

I cannot advise one the CNC mills or whatever.

Lynn Freshly
07-22-09, 20:13
Take LAVs pistolsmith class and don't look back. I have hosted Larry twice for this course here in Ohio. I thought I knew a lot about the 1911 until I took his class. If we get enough interest, we may try to have another in 2010.

Lynn

Adam
07-22-09, 21:09
I would skip the miniture cnc mill. You shouldn't have much need for if you're just assembling and fitting. If you want to do things like golf ball grips or fancy slide work you'll find the lack of travel and the tiny table to be a major problem. Also alot of the custom machine work done to 1911's is fairly simply and can be tackled in a larger and often times cheaper Bridgeport type mill.

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-22-09, 21:14
Lynn,

If I could just get Larry a wee bit closer to GA! But I probably will take his class.

subzero
07-22-09, 21:14
There is no apostrophe in Vickers.

I started with the 1911 Operators class. My notes just from that were copious, and let me know that if I really wanted to start building 1911s, the next serious step I should take is the Vickers 1911 builders class.

Otherwise, I see two routes one could take, and I think you've mentioned one already. One: go apprentice yourself to a smith. Not the easiest thing. But maybe Nighthawk, Wilson, RRA, Ed Brown or a similar manufacturer would also be a good start in that same vein. This, however, isn't a path for someone looking to do this part time. Two: start building. The old "learn by doing" OJT style school. Time intensive, as there's plenty of trial and error, and even if it works how can you be sure you're doing it right?

Dunderway
07-22-09, 23:20
If you want to start practicing your hand work (checkering etc.) search around for some de-milled receivers and slides. I have seen them from time to time in bulk fairly cheap, and you won't risk ruinging a perfectly good 1911. I would also start looking into the different tools and jigs you will need.

Some of the guys on the 1911 forum have taken an online gunsmithing course, that walks you through building a 1911 from scratch. I forget who the instructor is. If your career doesn't give you time to attend a regular course, this could be an option.

subzero
07-23-09, 08:04
Some of the guys on the 1911 forum have taken an online gunsmithing course, that walks you through building a 1911 from scratch. I forget who the instructor is. If your career doesn't give you time to attend a regular course, this could be an option.

Ah, that reminds me, there's also the videos from AGI on building a 1911. Worth looking at.

CryingWolf
07-23-09, 09:49
Agreed with the start building. If anything you can sell them off for the cost of material, your time is payed by the learning experience. As you get better at it and more established we might be saying "Check out that Greg Bell 1911 $2400 bucks is not bad!!!"

Sidewinder6
07-23-09, 10:28
This gets you where you want to go:
http://www.rodgerspistolsmithing.com/

DTHN2LGS
07-23-09, 10:53
The NRA used to have gunsmithing seminars at various locations. I'm not sure if they still do that, but you might check it out.

jtb0311
07-24-09, 00:13
Cylinder and Slide also offers a 1911 building course, but I've not been to it or Larry Vickers'.

For some light reading, check out Blind Hogg (http://www.blindhogg.com/).

Between reading and experimenting, I've managed to muddle my way through successfully fitting a match barrel to a 1911. My goal is to build them from scratch as a hobby, maybe 1 or 2 a year.