PDA

View Full Version : Kriss Super V owners...

BillCutting
07-22-09, 20:02
Anyone own one of these??? Whats your impression? I heard they are prone to jamming? What has been your experiences with that issue?

I held one at a gun store and was very impressed ergonomically. Thanks for any replies!

BillCutting
07-25-09, 20:01
Popular rifle I see..:p:eek:

Thomas M-4
07-25-09, 20:24
There is only going to be dealer samples of the super v. And as far I know which aint far no agency has purchased any to date.
Super V made after 86

Mr.Goodtimes
07-25-09, 21:54
one of the local shops has like one or two of the semi auto versions sitting in there. It's been in there for probably about 6months now, there asking some crazy price for it that i cant remember.

I'm not real impressed with the Kriss, it looks sorta clunky and cumbersome.

Thomas M-4
07-25-09, 21:57
one of the local shops has like one or two of the semi auto versions sitting in there. It's been in there for probably about 6months now, there asking some crazy price for it that i cant remember.

I didn't know they had a semi version .

Mr.Goodtimes
07-25-09, 21:59
i didnt either until i saw it in there, i actually figured it was a full auto dealer sample but the guy said no, its a semi auto. Its got a 16in barrel too.

Turnkey11
07-25-09, 22:21
Semi version has been out at least a year already, but I havent seen one in person or talked to anyone who has actually bought one. Seems it flopped when it hit the market even with the publicity it got from future weapons and army times.

Thomas M-4
07-25-09, 22:37
Yea never really interested me watched on the shows. Kinda laughed to my self when they said it had a unique action never done before and showed the animation first the that popped into my head it looked like a luger p-08 toggle action flipped upside down:rolleyes:

BillCutting
07-26-09, 00:16

Shoot straight, right? Thats where I saw it. The one I was messin with was the short barreled version. Apparently, you just unscrew the bulky silencer thing and youve got a short barrelled rifle, if you can own one that is.

It does look bulky, but next time your in there, check it out. My first impression on seeing it were "whats that ugly, bulky, thing?". Then I handled it and it is super light, and has great ergos. Feels like a natural extension of your hand. I was sold right then and there. However, Ive been hearing they have problems. Was curious if anyone had one....

Hey Goodtimes, you should head over there one day during the week in the day, the place will be dead, and just get a handle on everything. Really gives you an idea of what you might like and not like.

Outrider
07-26-09, 00:26
If I recall correctly, I think their pitch for the action was that if it could tame "the mighty .45 ACP" in full auto it would able to tame other calibers as well. I believe their thought was to do a family of firearms using the same style action.

Even if everything with it was perfect, the biggest barrier it faces in the market is that its price point is prohibitive for many shooters. The least expensive one I've seen on an auction site was $1700.

BillCutting
07-26-09, 00:30
Was just doing a little research and found out that last year, the year it was launched, they sold out every one produced. So somebodys got em. Also, a .40 coming soon as well as possibly a .50

Mr.Goodtimes
07-26-09, 03:30
Shoot straight, right? Thats where I saw it. The one I was messin with was the short barreled version. Apparently, you just unscrew the bulky silencer thing and youve got a short barrelled rifle, if you can own one that is.

It does look bulky, but next time your in there, check it out. My first impression on seeing it were "whats that ugly, bulky, thing?". Then I handled it and it is super light, and has great ergos. Feels like a natural extension of your hand. I was sold right then and there. However, Ive been hearing they have problems. Was curious if anyone had one....

Hey Goodtimes, you should head over there one day during the week in the day, the place will be dead, and just get a handle on everything. Really gives you an idea of what you might like and not like.

thats usually when i try and go up there to shoot, that way i typically avoid attention on the rifle range and there are less morons on the range in general, so less- to wait times and less risk of running into some goobers. when i can afford it though im going to buy a membership at a range in ruskin called "gun craft" they have a section that allows transitions, mag changes, rapid fire, shoot and move etc... and its outdoors :D its a $200 a year member ship though.

decodeddiesel
07-27-09, 12:39
A public range/gun store near me has a civilian legal semi auto Super V available to rent. I thought about it a few times, but honestly given the fact that I have absolutely no interest in owning one, and with .45ACP prices being the way they are I would much rather spend the money/ammo shooting my 1911.

browndog
07-27-09, 15:38
I own a semi auto version now and have not had any issues with it. I don't put junk ammo thru any of my guns so I haven't really had any issues. I best thing about it is the lack of recoil. You can hold it on target all day and hit what you're aiming at. being able to use the Glock 21 mags helps and the conversions to 30 rounds work well. The only problem I have is the placement of the safety but you can work around that.

BillCutting
07-28-09, 01:05
Good to hear, and thanks for sounding off! How may rounds have you put through her would you say?

browndog
07-28-09, 05:29
I don't have a huge round count maybe 1000 rounds so far due to the cost but I've talked with owners of the full auto version and they are the ones who told me to use quality ammo.

High Tower
07-29-09, 07:41
We are a Kriss dealer at the shop I work in back home. The rifle is very unique and fun to shoot. Some of the original bolts had issues - you had to fire good ammo like Black Hills through it for it to work every time. They replaced the bolt and everythings been fine as far as I know. I've been in Iraq for awhile so I haven't heard much on it lately. Its a very accurate gun as well.

If your looking for a fun .45 sub-ish gun, then the Kriss is a great way to go. A couple of our customers have two. Not the cheapest, though.

Redmanfms
08-03-09, 16:47
Yea never really interested me watched on the shows. Kinda laughed to my self when they said it had a unique action never done before and showed the animation first the that popped into my head it looked like a luger p-08 toggle action flipped upside down:rolleyes:

Same here. I actually thought of a Maxim when I saw it, the toggle in the Maxim also swings down.

Besides, pistol-length barrel on a sub-machine gun, especially one that long? No thanks. The rate-of-fire is a little high too.

Endless
02-24-10, 01:30
Bringing back an old thread. I am picking mine up this weekend and will give a full review of this.

As one stated earlier the problems have been addressed and fixed. There were certain serial numbered affected rifles.

Options I went with:

Barrel Shroud Type 2 (1 inch shorter than standard barrel shroud)
Surefire E1B Kit
5 30 round magazines
CRB TDI Foregrip
Grip Pod System
Side Picatinny Rail
EOTech XPS

steve-oh
02-25-10, 10:11
This is one guys opinion but it seems completely worthless in semi auto. I must've handled one of the originals too because it jammed pretty frequently if you closed the bolt on a loaded magazine, as opposed to inserted a fresh magazine on a closed bolt and then charging it.

VooDoo6Actual
02-25-10, 11:09
imo,

So many better choices in rifle calibers w/ that SBR type of configuration that do a far better job penetrating, defeating intermediate barriers etc...

YMMV...

Endless
03-02-10, 23:37
This is one guys opinion but it seems completely worthless in semi auto. I must've handled one of the originals too because it jammed pretty frequently if you closed the bolt on a loaded magazine, as opposed to inserted a fresh magazine on a closed bolt and then charging it.

Well after taking it to the range and putting 500 rounds through it I must say its pretty accurate with little to no kick at all. With ball ammo it had no issues with jamming. It is lighter than my AR15 which was really nice. It is also shorter than my AR15 now, even with the AR15 stock fully closed, another plus. I really shouldnt be comparing apples to oranges though.

I have heard so many people complain about the gun and a lot of people praise the gun. For me and what it is I really like it and would recommend it only if the price was lower. Right now with all the things I have added and taken away its pushing $3500. Way to much IMO and thats starting at the Bushmaster .50 BMG prices which they had in-stock right next to this gun. I also didnt really care for the looks of this gun in 2006 when I first saw the prototypes but after actually owning one with all the bells and whistles I really cant even compare it to my Colt or DDM4 in the looks department, but again its just looks.

Also, you cant really compare an AR15 to this type of gun which 90% of people are doing. Thats apples to oranges. If TDI decides to add a 5.56 or 7.62 mm to there family, I say watch out. They are capable of doing it and then we can compare all day long.

Bottom line its a solid gun but for the price I would say get something cheaper unless you had a nice tax return season. :)

bigc3031
03-03-10, 22:47
I rented one for fun and it stove piped frequently. I also didn't like the stock as it pinched my facial hair.

I would pass. It's cool and all but not really anything worth the money.

oef24
03-04-10, 00:43
I am awaiting the transfer of a Super V factory SBR. I also purchased the QSM Ti suppressor. I can't wait to try it out. I have shot the SMG and it is extremely accurate and has a very high cycle rate which is very controllable.

O

Endless
03-04-10, 01:23
I am awaiting the transfer of a Super V factory SBR. I also purchased the QSM Ti suppressor. I can't wait to try it out. I have shot the SMG and it is extremely accurate and has a very high cycle rate which is very controllable.

O

Nice. Congrats. Please post pics when you get it.

I just placed another order with TDI for two side rail mounts for my laser and other assessories. My shorter barrel shroud comes tomorrow with sling. Its pretty much done. I may swap out my EOTech and try my Trijicon ACOG at 100 yards.

New pic I just took with new shroud. Going shooting again this weekend.

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy32/endlessLE/IMG_0682.jpg?t=1267770066

Endless
03-05-10, 19:13

O

Also there are plans for 5.56 mm and a 7.62 in the near future once all the pistol calibers hit the market. I cant wait for that then we can see how the KRISS measures up with Noveske, Colt, Daniel Defense, BCM, etc. I bet it will be right up at the top and around $3000 for the base rifle.;)

oef24
03-05-10, 21:51
Also there are plans for 5.56 mm and a 7.62 in the near future once all the pistol calibers hit the market. I cant wait for that then we can see how the KRISS measures up with Noveske, Colt, Daniel Defense, BCM, etc. I bet it will be right up at the top and around $3000 for the base rifle.;)

Isin't the .40 S&W next? I also heard that a shotgun is in the works. Can you confirm that as well? Thanks.

O

Endless
03-05-10, 23:15
Isin't the .40 S&W next? I also heard that a shotgun is in the works. Can you confirm that as well? Thanks.

O

Yes the .40 should should be here this summer (maybe even sooner) and 9mm this Winter.

All I can confirm is that TDI is going to enter the rifle market once the pistol calibers are finished and the R&D starts for the rifle calibers.

ForTehNguyen
03-06-10, 10:10
I would be interested in a 9mm version

uspopo
03-07-10, 09:42
I have heard that the KRISS system was designed to tame the recoil to almost nothing for the .45ACP and the system would be an overkill to handle 9mm but if they are willing to do a 9mm variant I would extremely interested in one also. Off topic, MSAR is ready to roll out their MCS pistol caliber bullpup soon for around 850.00 and it will take Glock mags...

ForTehNguyen
03-07-10, 12:24
9mm would probably feel like a .22LR on the Kriss :D They did the .45 first obviously to demonstrate that if someone can tame the .45, the others would be even simpler.

Endless
03-07-10, 16:06
I have heard that the KRISS system was designed to tame the recoil to almost nothing for the .45ACP and the system would be an overkill to handle 9mm but if they are willing to do a 9mm variant I would extremely interested in one also. Off topic, MSAR is ready to roll out their MCS pistol caliber bullpup soon for around 850.00 and it will take Glock mags...

I totally agree with you. They are going to finish up with the .40 and 9mm. Right now the R&D for a 5.56 mm round would be through the roof.

Solscud007
04-15-10, 12:25
How well does the kriss do at 100yd engagements? I will be buying the bare bones crb/so next week. I already have an eotech and plenty of surefires.

For those who want the brightest use an e2 type body, malkoff m60 or higher and the malkoff vme head so you can get 250 lumens out of the Surefire. If you get the malkoff mce it will be like 500 lumens. Plenty to light up the night and blind targets.

Endless
04-15-10, 19:44
How well does the kriss do at 100yd engagements? I will be buying the bare bones crb/so next week. I already have an eotech and plenty of surefires.

For those who want the brightest use an e2 type body, malkoff m60 or higher and the malkoff vme head so you can get 250 lumens out of the Surefire. If you get the malkoff mce it will be like 500 lumens. Plenty to light up the night and blind targets.

It actually drops quite a bit at that range. More so its perfect from 20-100 feet IMO. I would also ditch the Eotech and go with an Aimpoint Comp M3 or M4 or a Trijicon Tri-power.

I would actually wait for the Pistol to come out before you drop over $1500 on the carbine.

Turnkey11
04-16-10, 01:46
I rented one for fun and it stove piped frequently. I also didn't like the stock as it pinched my facial hair.

I would pass. It's cool and all but not really anything worth the money.

I rented one when I was in Corpus Christi last month, and had the same issues. Personally, all it did for me was make me miss my UMP build that I sold to get a SR-15E3, the HK was better all around than the Kriss in terms of ergonomics and recoil management (HK was softer and smoother.)

Solscud007
04-18-10, 18:28
Does anyone here have the earlier Kriss? the ones with magpul buis? can you take pics?

oef24
04-18-10, 20:30
Does anyone here have the earlier Kriss? the ones with magpul buis? can you take pics?

I have one awaiting transfer. I was able to obtain the original MagPul BUIS as well. I will post pics once the transfer comes through in the next week or 2.

O

Solscud007
04-18-10, 20:33
Nice. Im getting a new one this week. But now I want to track down the Magpul BUIS. gonna see if someone would be willing to trade the new ones for the magpul.

Solscud007
04-20-10, 22:18
So I picked up my Super V. I had to drive 247 miles to Dayton Oh to pick this up. So about 500 miles round trip. All of PA was sold out. And so is Accusport (the only distributor for Kriss)

Endless
04-30-10, 01:37
So I picked up my Super V. I had to drive 247 miles to Dayton Oh to pick this up. So about 500 miles round trip. All of PA was sold out. And so is Accusport (the only distributor for Kriss)

Nice...I would ditch the Eotech and go SBR. You can get them pretty easy out here on the West Coast.

I am on to my next project already. Modified FN FS2000. Time to have some fun with that gun..

SBR
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy32/endlessLE/krisssbr.jpg?t=1272609299

Mine

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy32/endlessLE/IMG_0818.jpg?t=1272609756

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy32/endlessLE/IMG_0833.jpg?t=1272609363

Solscud007
04-30-10, 07:19
I like my eotech haha.

Have you seen that sling mount on the west coast? The picture you posted of the SBR version has an older style sling mount.

I will SBR mine.

Solscud007
05-10-10, 17:30
went shooting this weekend. only had a handful of fail to feed and one double feed.

Shot great. my Eotech is aiming a bit high but once we got that figured out, I was able to shoot these steel targets every time.

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/337/krisstarget.jpg

I managed to get one up and over the bar too. I tried to quickly move from target to target and engage right to left and back again. Shooting as the targets were swinging. 100% perfect.

the targets were about 30-35 yds away.

here is a pic someone took of me.

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/3967/mekrissg.jpg

Endless
05-14-10, 22:30
Is yours used? The 2010 models rarely jam. I had maybe 4 jams in 700 rounds and those 4 were all hollowpoints....

Here is my Kriss with Trijicon Tri-Power at 30 yards.

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy32/endlessLE/IMG_0769-1.jpg?t=1273894151

oef24
05-14-10, 22:42
Very nice shooting.
I have heard that the 2010 models have something "new and improved" done inside that allows them to digest almost anything. I haven't fired my new 2010 SBR but I hope to tomorrow.
By the way, do you know what was done inside to make them more reliable? Thanks.

O

Endless
05-14-10, 22:45
Very nice shooting.
I have heard that the 2010 models have something "new and improved" done inside that allows them to digest almost anything. I haven't fired my new 2010 SBR but I hope to tomorrow.
By the way, do you know what was done inside to make them more reliable? Thanks.

O

Thanks..There were some tweakings that TDI went with after a bunch of complaints. There was some barrel adjustments, trigger adjustments, and buffer size adjustments. I hadnt seen 2008/2009 versions so I cannot comment on them other than the feed issue that was addressed and fixed in 2010.

Solscud007
05-25-10, 07:52
I just took a 3 day tactical carbine course with the Kriss. It ran beautifully. ate up about 600 rds of Winchester white box. No problems. the only issue I have is loading a full mag on a closed bolt. it take a great deal of force. Also extracting an unfired round with the mag in, does not fling out like an AR. it just slides back and sits in the chamber above the mag. So I have to take the mag out and let the round drop down thru the mag well.

I got a magpul AFG and modded it to fit the Kriss. it is super comfy.

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/2377/4637361702509cf4d2a3b.jpg

Endless
05-27-10, 00:02
Watch your Eotech placement as its not recommended, or I recommend it farther forward or farther back. My XPS sustained minor damage from expelled casings over time. Went to the Tri-power and Mars and no issues.

Solscud007
05-27-10, 07:07
Watch your Eotech placement as its not recommended, or I recommend it farther forward or farther back. My XPS sustained minor damage from expelled casings over time. Went to the Tri-power and Mars and no issues.

I dont really have a choice. the 512 is so long that it cant go anywhere else.

Endless
05-27-10, 23:00
I dont really have a choice. the 512 is so long that it cant go anywhere else.

Has it had any minor damage on the edges where it mounts to the rail? You can move it forward more or even back more... I ran the MARS all the way up forward like on the FS2000 and the Aimpoint farther back.

Solscud007
05-28-10, 07:43
Has it had any minor damage on the edges where it mounts to the rail? You can move it forward more or even back more... I ran the MARS all the way up forward like on the FS2000 and the Aimpoint farther back.

No no problems yet. I just ran 600 rds over the course of last weekend with this setup. no noticeable damage.

WillBrink
06-10-10, 10:18
If I recall correctly, I think their pitch for the action was that if it could tame "the mighty .45 ACP" in full auto.

I fired the sub gun in full auto at competition I was attending. They were a vendor and I was allowed one mag. Perceived recoil was much reduced compared to firing other similar sized guns. Although my experience with it was quite limited, I came away impressed.

WillBrink
06-10-10, 10:24
imo,

So many better choices in rifle calibers w/ that SBR type of configuration that do a far better job penetrating, defeating intermediate barriers etc...

YMMV...

I like the idea of super compact carbines firing pistol calibers for some applications. What are your thoughts on that?

WillBrink
06-10-10, 10:27
Bottom line its a solid gun but for the price I would say get something cheaper unless you had a nice tax return season. :)

If one wants a very compact carbine firing a .45 ACP rnd, what is their to compare it to? Would be interesting to see what's out there for true apples/apples comparison.

Anyone measured the fps from it? I would think there should be an increase in velocity from the longer barrel.

Solscud007
06-10-10, 10:38
If one wants a very compact carbine firing a .45 ACP rnd, what is their to compare it to? Would be interesting to see what's out there for true apples/apples comparison.

Yeah there are only a few guns that you can compare. The HK USC/UMP comes to mind. I think other than the LE full auto version, the Kriss will perform much like other PCC in .45 auto. I mean there isn't much muzzle climb in semi even when you hammer a controlled pair. I'm assuming this is the case with other PCC in .45 acp. But as I have never fired a .45 other than my Kriss and various pistols my experience is still flavored in Kriss tactikool-aid.

kal
06-10-10, 12:06
I may be treading dangerous ground but I have to find out the truth. Here's a copy & paste from "the other site" regarding a potentially major flaw in the kriss super V design.

I own a factory SBR Kriss and can point to one very important design flaw in my mind.
You cannot reliably extract an unfired round by cycling the action.
The extractor will drop the round over 50% of the time when you cycle the action by hand.
It will hang up to the point that you have to remove the mag, shake out the loose round and then reinsert the mag.
It will flip out the LAST round in the mag 100% but that's it.
Now, you can argue that if you have a dud in the chamber you should go to your secondary but this is not possible in a competition.
Also, there have been problems with failure to feed right out of the box and I had to send mine back for "polishing"
It runs now but still won't reliably extract a live round.
I asked the head gunsmith and engineer at Kriss and their only answer was that it was a "revolutionary design" and would take a major
redesign of the bolt to make it work right.

What do you think of this?

Solscud007
06-10-10, 12:18
Actually yes that happens to me. I called Kriss TDI and they said that will happen. They recommend extracting unfired rounds with mag removed. I this k this is a major problem. More so for self defense and law enforcement.

I dealt with it in my three day course by having topped up mags on my hip. I didn't have FTF but failure drills made it tough. I had to remove round and leave chamber open. It was annoying. So I just of rid of the mag, removed round and inserted new mag.

Other issues were the ambi saftey switches are not very ergonomic.
Also feeding fully loaded mag on closed bolt is PIA.

Solscud007
06-10-10, 23:09
here is someone's rental comparison with HK USC

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/98221-range-report-kriss-vector-vs-hk-usc.html

Solscud007
06-13-10, 21:18
Here is a video from a shoot I did today. PAFOA members and the local PMSC members have a group shoot. they usually set up a small pistol range and a shoot house. I ran the kriss in the shoot house. they set up shoot and no shoot targets. the Shoot ipsc targets with alien heads from "They Live" the movie. they got a little clever with changing some of the targets like the one you see me shoot thru a crack in the wall.

the popper steel was a "satellite" that you have to shoot to save the humans.

lots of fun

oh except my operator error in reloading my kriss. that timer can get to you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIOcs4rBYYY