PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive SBR NFA engraving in Northern Colorado??

Jer
07-22-09, 21:20
Curious if anyone has a good person to use in Northern Colorado. I spoke with Oliver at Iron Ridge and the quote seemed a little high so I thought I would check my options. I would rather not ship if possible so that's why I'm hoping to find something in Northern Colorado. Thanks!

geminidglocker
07-22-09, 21:24
Gee, why not buy a Dremel engraver and do it yourself? Cost about twenty-bucks.:confused: Or do you need the engraving job to have documentation aswell??

Jer
07-22-09, 21:33
Gee, why not buy a Dremel engraver and do it yourself? Cost about twenty-bucks.:confused: Or do you need the engraving job to have documentation aswell??

I own a Dremel and am pretty good with it but I don't want it to look like I did it with a Dremel. I would rather have it professionally done using a CNC or similar.

LonghunterCO
07-23-09, 08:09
Ironridge is the only one I know up there. Are you willing to go to Denver? I think there were a couple recomendations from guys on TOS.

Jer
07-23-09, 10:40
Ironridge is the only one I know up there. Are you willing to go to Denver? I think there were a couple recomendations from guys on TOS.

I'm alright with Denver as long as the price is right. I saw some guy (not local) on here who had a real nice job done for $20. For the amount of time put into it that seems reasonable. Oliver wanted $75 plus I would have to drive to Longmont. I would rather drive another 15min for something closer to that $20 price tag as long as it's decent work. Don't get me wrong, his machined parts are amazing and worth the price tag but this is just engraving.

geminidglocker
07-23-09, 10:44
I was just kidding about the Dremel. I would not do that to a firearm either.

Jer
07-23-09, 11:12
I was just kidding about the Dremel. I would not do that to a firearm either.

Roger. You never know with the world wide web. :cool:

LonghunterCO
07-23-09, 11:44
I'm alright with Denver as long as the price is right. I saw some guy (not local) on here who had a real nice job done for $20. For the amount of time put into it that seems reasonable. Oliver wanted $75 plus I would have to drive to Longmont. I would rather drive another 15min for something closer to that $20 price tag as long as it's decent work. Don't get me wrong, his machined parts are amazing and worth the price tag but this is just engraving.
Here is a recomendation for a guy in Denver from TOS. Not sure as to the cost or distance.

"
This is the guy. He has his studio in his house, and does a good job..took like 1hr, and I waited there..

http://www.dcengraving.com/contact_us
ph: 720-979-9202
david@dcengraving.com

"

Jer
07-23-09, 17:14
Here is a recomendation for a guy in Denver from TOS. Not sure as to the cost or distance.

"
This is the guy. He has his studio in his house, and does a good job..took like 1hr, and I waited there..

http://www.dcengraving.com/contact_us
ph: 720-979-9202
david@dcengraving.com

"

Email sent. Do you happen to know if he does inside the trigger guard and what he charges?

LonghunterCO
07-23-09, 17:16
No I have not used him myself. He can recomended for a board member on TOS.

Jer
07-23-09, 21:35
No I have not used him myself. He can recomended for a board member on TOS.

Cool, I'll just wait to hear back. Pretty much decided on the underside of the trigger guard (where the trigger comes out) and just need to find the cheapest place to get it done since I would rather not ship. Form 1 is in the mail already so it would be just my like that I send this off to have done and get my stamp back and then get busted for someone else having it in their possession or something. That and I just feel better having it in my possession all the time anyway given how much of a PITA it would be to replace at this point.

Thanks for the heads up.

cmkdirk
07-23-09, 22:02
I would talk to Dan at Lone Wolf Dist. He did my AR lower with NFA and custom logo engraving. It was done EXACTLY how I wanted it done for cheapen that other respected companies have quoted. He was really easy to work with too. I would recommend calling them vise email because they're really busy. No affiliation other than my home town peeps. http://www.lonewolfdist.com/

SPARTAN HOPLITE ARMS
07-23-09, 22:40
Forgiving me for asking an uninitiated person's question. Why do you have to engrave an NFA item? Is it required when you purchase a non-nfa receiver and then have it approved as SBR or SBS? :confused:

Jer
07-24-09, 00:27
Forgiving me for asking an uninitiated person's question. Why do you have to engrave an NFA item? Is it required when you purchase a non-nfa receiver and then have it approved as SBR or SBS? :confused:

Yes, when you do a form 1 for an SBR you basically are 'building your own weapon' which requires your name/trust name/business name, caliber, serial number and location (city/state) to be clearly visible on the item. You can use the caliber, serial number of the original manufacturer but then you have to add your 'name' whichever that may be depending on how you filed. For me, it will look like this:

First Initial. Last name
City State(abbreviated)

and I'm planning to put it inside the trigger guard. Basically one line on each side of the trigger. It just needs to be visible w/o removing anything (inside a mag well will not work) and has to be at least 1/16" and at least 0.003" deep.

Jer
07-24-09, 00:28
I would talk to Dan at Lone Wolf Dist. He did my AR lower with NFA and custom logo engraving. It was done EXACTLY how I wanted it done for cheapen that other respected companies have quoted. He was really easy to work with too. I would recommend calling them vise email because they're really busy. No affiliation other than my home town peeps. http://www.lonewolfdist.com/

Thanks but I'm looking for Northern Colorado. If I decide to ship I've already got another person in mind.

SPARTAN HOPLITE ARMS
07-25-09, 19:58
Yes, when you do a form 1 for an SBR you basically are 'building your own weapon' which requires your name/trust name/business name, caliber, serial number and location (city/state) to be clearly visible on the item. You can use the caliber, serial number of the original manufacturer but then you have to add your 'name' whichever that may be depending on how you filed. For me, it will look like this:

First Initial. Last name
City State(abbreviated)

and I'm planning to put it inside the trigger guard. Basically one line on each side of the trigger. It just needs to be visible w/o removing anything (inside a mag well will not work) and has to be at least 1/16" and at least 0.003" deep.

Alright...That makes sense..but what if you order an item as a SBR from the manufacturer? Would you need to do all of that engraving or is it permanently registered by the factory as a SBR?

Jer
07-26-09, 01:05
Alright...That makes sense..but what if you order an item as a SBR from the manufacturer? Would you need to do all of that engraving or is it permanently registered by the factory as a SBR?

If a receiver has already been SBR'd you would still have to fill out a Form to send to the BATFE but you would use the information that's already engraved into the receiver and essentially put it in your name. All it really saves is having it engraved unless of course you are getting a deal on it because it's used or something.

decodeddiesel
07-30-09, 17:09
Jer, post bask what you hear. I am looking for an engraver in the Denver metro myself...

decodeddiesel
08-02-09, 11:24
Contacted DC Engraving in Denver. He wants $4.25 per letter! :eek:

LonghunterCO
08-02-09, 11:53
Contacted DC Engraving in Denver. He wants $4.25 per letter! :eek:

:eek: are they gold filled?

Jer
08-02-09, 12:00
If I don't find something before the start of next week I think I'm just going to strip my lower off to have done. I'm really disappointed in how much local engravers think their work is worth. I would like to keep my money local but if I can pay for shipping and still save lots of money it's just not worth it for me.

Cameron
08-02-09, 12:05
I get all mine done at an engraver in Cherry Creek $50.

Does it while you wait, and can program his engraving thingy so it is exactly to ATF specified size and depth.

Farmer's Engraving
(303) 329-3322

Must be hand delivered and you must wait for it.

Cameron

Jer
08-02-09, 12:25
I get all mine done at an engraver in Cherry Creek $50.

Does it while you wait, and can program his engraving thingy so it is exactly to ATF specified size and depth.

Farmer's Engraving
(303) 329-3322

Must be hand delivered and you must wait for it.

Cameron

I didn't know you were in the Denver area Cameron.

That price is a little more reasonable. Does that price cover doing inside the trigger guard?

Cameron
08-02-09, 12:54
I do all mine on the left side of the receiver.

Inside the trigger guard maybe more difficult, I would drop in and ask them, good bunch of guys there.

Cameron

Jer
08-02-09, 12:55

Inside the trigger guard maybe more difficult, I would drop in and ask them, good bunch of guys there.

Cameron

I may just opt for this too but I think inside the trigger guard would be cool.

decodeddiesel
08-02-09, 13:01

Cameron

Cameron, they are right down the street from me so it sounds like a go. Do you know their hours of operation off the top of your head? Also would I need to strip my lower before I go, or can I just take off the stock/pistol grip?

Cameron
08-02-09, 13:09
I took in a complete lower with stock and grip.

http://www.farmersengraving.com (http://www.farmersengraving.com/)

Now you guys tell me where I can get cheap, 9mm, 5.56, .45 and .308 and we will all be happy.

Cameron

decodeddiesel
08-02-09, 13:21
I took in a complete lower with stock and grip.

http://www.farmersengraving.com (http://www.farmersengraving.com/)

Now you guys tell me where I can get cheap, 9mm, 5.56, .45 and .308 and we will all be happy.

Cameron

The Sportsman's Warehouse in Thornton had Blazer Al cased 9mm for $10.95 per box of 50 and .45ACP for $16.95 a box. They had some .223, .308, and 50cal for decent prices as well. They do limit you to 2 boxes per customer per caliber though. :(

LonghunterCO
08-02-09, 13:44
We all need to get together and shoot.

Marty- Woodland Park

decodeddiesel
08-02-09, 16:17
We all need to get together and shoot.

Marty- Woodland Park

I agree, though my time is at a premium these days with the little one.

Wes - Denver

decodeddiesel
09-01-09, 16:56
Just wanted to let other Colorado'ians know, Farmer's rocks.

Took just over an hour, Dave, the engraver I worked with, mocked up the engraving before he engraved it (took most of the hour to do, the engraving took about 10 minutes) and had me verify everything was good to go before he set in. $50 even.

I wish everything was this easy...

Jer
09-01-09, 17:20
Just wanted to let other Colorado'ians know, Farmer's rocks.

Took just over an hour, Dave, the engraver I worked with, mocked up the engraving before he engraved it (took most of the hour to do, the engraving took about 10 minutes) and had me verify everything was good to go before he set in. $50 even.

I wish everything was this easy...

What all was done for $50? Just a SBR engraving on the side of the magwell or ??

decodeddiesel
09-01-09, 17:24
What all was done for $50? Just a SBR engraving on the side of the magwell or ??

Actually it was above the trigger pin on the left side of the receiver. Yes, 2 lines of engraving for $50 in one hour. Hell of a deal IMHO.