PDA

View Full Version : Target Focus and Aimpoints (and other RDS)

matthewdanger
07-22-09, 21:31
It seems that whenever I see people at the range or in classes running Aimpoints, or other red dot sights (RDS), there are always some (read: most) that are using only one eye and seemingly (I guess I am assuming) focusing on the dot like they would a front sight. This seems to negate some of the biggest advantages of the RDS (speed on target and from target to target, increased field of view/situational awareness). I have been in a classes where most of the sights were RDSs but the issue of how to deploy one most efficiently was not addressed. It seems that, perhaps due to the simplicity of the sight, that people take for granted that there may be technique involved in using it effectively.

I have found that I am most effective at all distances with a RDS if I keep both eyes open and focus on the target. I am essentially taking a consistent cheek weld behind the sight and looking beyond the RDS as if it isn't there. The rifle points where I look and the dot is superimposed in my field of view. I know this isn't new to most of you but I have found that this really maximizes the utility of a RDS. Even at longer distances where it seems it is most tempting to close one eye and focus on the dot, I have found that focusing on the target with both eyes gives me a MUCH clearer view of the target, while still giving me a crisp aiming dot.

Some of the advantages for me are:

- Your field of view is limited not by your optic, but rather by the actual field of view of your naked eyes.

- Targets at all distances (especially longer distances) appear more clearly defined with binocular vision.

- It strains my eyes less.

- I am less likely to get caught up in just what is happening inside the ring of the Aimpoint and/or more situationally aware.

- I can move and shoot with more confidence because I can see more.

- The fundamentals still apply but it feels more natural to be able to shoot where ever I look.

So I guess what I would like to know is do you focus on the target or the dot? Are there distances at which you change your focus? Am I missing something by not closing one eye and/or focusing on the dot? Is this just like anything else where people do not train, take it for granted, and fail to apply much thought to the process?

nickdrak
07-22-09, 22:06
I voted "I focus on the Target". However, at extended distances 75yds+, if I am able to get into a good prone position and I want to get as much accuracy as possible, I tend to use a combo of focusing on the dot & the target.

But if I am looking for multiple, rapid "combat accurate" hits on target, I am focused on the target.

RancidSumo
07-22-09, 22:16
I use a mixture of both in that I am conscious of exactly where on the target the dot is but most of my focus is on the target.

John Frazer
07-23-09, 05:43
At close range, I try to focus on the target but old habits die hard.

At longer ranges or for more precise shooting (zeroing at 50 yards or shooting a small steel target at 150+) I find my vision getting "confused" with both eyes open, so I've had to close my support-side eye.

I think I may be undergoing a middle-aged eye dominance shift, since I've also been having trouble picking up the front sight when I draw a pistol with both eyes open.

CoryCop25
07-23-09, 06:09
Focus on the target. Subconsciously, you will put the dot on the target because it should be aligned with your eyes, with a proper cheek weld and so forth. Obviously, at longer distances, you will have to reference the dot to have proper shot placement. Unlike iron sights, when you focus on the front sight, the dot is the reference point for the muzzle. Remember, the RDS is not a precision sight. It is designed to get rounds on target quickly.

macman37
07-23-09, 06:34
I've always focused on the target and brought the optic up into my field of view.

Which is why once I took my first carbine class at MDFI last year I realized that the Aimpoint guys were pretty right all this time about the simple red dot rather than the dot + ring of the EOTech. Especially when you factor in holdovers!

I ran the EOTech OK in the class once I got used to it, but I can definitely see how the Aimpoint could be faster and might swap my Aimpoint Micro over to one of my more oft-used carbines...

Failure2Stop
07-23-09, 07:00
You should be focusing on the target, the dot should also be in focus, but your mental focus will be on the relationship of the dot on the in-focus target.

RDSs are not iron sights or traditional scopes, they must be treated as their own category to get the most out of them.

austinN4
07-23-09, 10:09
I do what Aimpoint says to do, and that is focus on the target with both eyes open. The dot is in my field of view and I align it with the target, but I do not focus on it.

hammonje
07-23-09, 10:22
I had this realization while performing dry-frie practice in my home with an Aimpoint COMPML3. I had been used to irons, but the dot reticle was foreign to me. I had a tendency to focus on the dot and not the target, then I found I could see the dot just as well while focusing on the target with both eyes open. It reduces eye fatigue substantially without having to squint and target acquisition is much improved to say the least.

I felt kind of foolish after that and appreciate that these types of sights are truely revolutionary and in a league of their own. I can't wait to get to the range and see how it translates. Just one more reason to dry-fire...you learn more than you expect you would and build muscle memory. This was also true for learning position shooting for service rifle. I did not make substantial improvements until I performed a dry-fire regimen with all gear.

I am just a newb so I have some videos (Magpul Dynamics and Tactical Response) that I converted to DVD and play on my 60" TV. I stand in the living room and practice what I am watching. I'm having a great deal of fun and learning to employ a novel weapon system in a range envelope I am unfamiliar with. Then I go out to the range with some very experienced operators and get their criticisms. All this before my first carbine course, so I should get a lot out of it with some preparation.

Thanks to everyone for helping me get my gear purchased and squared away correctly.