PDA

View Full Version : Obama: Police who arrested professor 'acted stupidly'

Buckaroo
07-22-09, 22:08
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/22/harvard.gates.interview/index.html

(CNN) -- President Obama said that police in Cambridge, Massachusetts, "acted stupidly" in arresting a prominent black Harvard professor last week after a confrontation at the man's home.
Harvard University professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. talks Wednesday about his ordeal with Cambridge police.

"I don't know, not having been there and not seeing all the facts, what role race played," Obama said Wednesday night while taking questions after a White House news conference.

Cambridge authorities dropped disorderly conduct charges against Henry Louis Gates Jr. on Tuesday.

Obama defended Gates on Wednesday night, while admitting that he may be "a little biased," because Gates is a friend.

"But I think it's fair to say, No. 1, any of us would be pretty angry; No. 2, that the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home; and, No. 3 ... that there's a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately."

The incident, Obama said, shows "how race remains a factor in this society." Video Watch the president address the incident »

Gates told CNN on Wednesday that although charges had been dropped, he will keep the issue alive.

"This is not about me; this is about the vulnerability of black men in America," Gates told CNN's Soledad O'Brien.

Gates said he'd be prepared to forgive the arresting officer "if he told the truth" about what the director of Harvard's W.E.B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research said were "fabrications" in the police report.

The officer, Sgt. James Crowley, told CNN affiliate WCVB earlier Wednesday that he will not apologize.

"There are not many certainties in life, but it is for certain that Sgt. Crowley will not be apologizing," he said.

Gates said the mayor of Cambridge, Massachusetts, called him to apologize about the incident, in which he was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct.

CNN could not confirm Wednesday night that an apology was made. Cambridge Mayor E. Denise Simmons did not respond to requests by CNN for comment.

Crowley wrote in the Cambridge police report that Gates refused to step outside to speak with him, the police report said, and when Crowley told Gates that he was investigating a possible break-in, Gates opened the front door and exclaimed, "Why, because I'm a black man in America?" the report said.

The report said Gates initially refused to show the officer identification, but eventually produced a Harvard identification card, prompting Crowley to radio for Harvard University Police.

"While I was led to believe that Gates was lawfully in the residence, I was quite surprised and confused with the behavior he exhibited toward me," Crowley said, according to the report.

Gates was arrested for "loud and tumultuous behavior in a public space" and was released from police custody after spending four hours at the police station.

He said Wednesday that he and his lawyers were considering further actions, not excluding a lawsuit.
advertisement

Gates said that although the ordeal had upset him, "I would do the same thing exactly again."

Earlier this week, a prosecutor dropped the charge against Gates and the city's police department recommended that the matter not be pursued.

Amazing that the nations chief law enforcement officer can make this determination with the facts at hand..... Talk about Stupid!

Buckaroo

BAC
07-22-09, 22:34
So what did this professor do that constituted disorderly conduct, exactly? Yell? Hell, I'd have a rap sheet longer than the street I live on if that's all it took to get arrested for disorderly conduct. I'm guessing we're not hearing the whole story, just how our President sees it.

-B

EzGoingKev
07-22-09, 23:16
I live in MA and this is all that has been in the news and on local talk radio for days.

This incident occurred in Cambridge, MA which has to be THE most liberal town in the blue state of MA that prevented the Boy Scouts from putting together care packages to send to US troops in Iraq.

Regarding the incident itself - Mr Gates was having difficulties gaining access to his residence. The door refused to open as a result of a previous brake in attempt. Mr Gates enlisted the aid of his driver.

A women saw two men trying to force the door open and reported the suspicious activity to the police. The officer responded and Mr Gates refused to cooperate right off the bat and started yelling the common Boston liberal saying "You don't know who I am", you are here hassling me because you are a white cop and I am black, and some BS about Obama being a black president. Mr Gates kept yelling and insulting the officer so the officer placed Mr Gates in custody for disorderly conduct.

Now the media gets involved, especially the almost out of business Boston Globe, a liberal paper I wouldn't wipe my ass with. The race extortionist Al Sharpton blows in like a summer cold that you can't seem to get rid of. Politics come into play and the town drops the charges and Cadillac Deval opens his big mouth.

Since Mr Gates and his driver are both black the spin now is that the only reason the woman called the police is because they are black. The police officer racially profiled Mr Gates and his driver (never mind that they had to respond to the 911 call).

All the idiot (Mr Gates) had to do when the officer arrived on the scene was explain what was going on and ID himself and no one would have ever heard of this. Instead of being a normal person he made the choice to be an idiot and now that is everyone that is white's fault.

All I can say is that I have been in similar situations multiple times. My family owns a building and I do some work out of the basement. Years ago we had alarm problems and the police responded multiple times. All I did was tell them who I was, show ID and everything was all set.

Once a police officer took me out of the building at gun point, got me down on my knees, and handcuffed me while he checked the building an then verified who I was. The building had been empty for several years and there was a huge increase in B&E's in the area. I didn't have a problem with it, although the patrol supervisor that showed up wasn't too happy with it.

SteyrAUG
07-22-09, 23:29
No. 3 ... that there's a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately."

The incident, Obama said, shows "how race remains a factor in this society." Video Watch the president address the incident »

And that is because DESPITE being a minority of the population they commit a disproportionate amount of crime. So if you fix THAT PROBLEM rather than just get upset about it, it will fix all the other issues related to THAT PROBLEM.

God I hate racists.

Mjolnir
07-22-09, 23:48
And that is because DESPITE being a minority of the population they commit a disproportionate amount of crime. So if you fix THAT PROBLEM rather than just get upset about it, it will fix all the other issues related to THAT PROBLEM.

God I hate racists.

I know it is not that simple... I've dealt with racists/bigots all my life - both White and Black, alike. They are stupidly tenacious in their beliefs and they don't allow facts to color their opinions. I don't find the majority of Whites to be racist but I have family members who'd tell you that "Whites are racists". Ask them for proof and you'll get sock puppet shit for an answer. I've been privy to conversations on the other side and I got the same sock puppet shit for answers, too.

Furthermore, what is called racism I don't really call it racism, per se. If an LE wishes to abuse someone you don't abuse patrons at the $100 per plate restaurant. They probably know someone that can and will make you pay dearly for your poor decisions. The trailer parks and ghettoes; not likely to get much of a response that jeopardizes your career - unless it's caught on tape. It's an issue of POWER or AUTHORITY that may have race mixed in to some degree; how much is anyone's guess. I never bet on a man hanging himself with his own tongue and no sane man stands before the public-at-large and proudly exclaims, "I'm a racist." It just doesn't happen.

So it's far more complicated (from my perspective, at least) than you suggest.

MaceWindu
07-23-09, 00:21
All the idiot (Mr Gates) had to do when the officer arrived on the scene was explain what was going on and ID himself and no one would have ever heard of this. Instead of being a normal person he made the choice to be an idiot and now that is everyone that is white's fault.

Really? Were YOU there?

Mace

Outrider
07-23-09, 00:27

God I hate racists.

I'm so glad that poverty, poor education, lack of good guidance, living in a crime ridden ghetto, and having to deal with bigots hasn't been an obstacle to anyone in American history. -I'm not saying every criminal would have been a productive member of society but if there are enough roadblocks to success, a lot of people will fail badly.

Getting back to the incident, the reason the cop was there was in response to a 911 call. That's fair. The reason he questioned Mr. Gates was to see whether he belonged in the home. That's fair.

Mr. Gates was indignant about being questioned about being in his own home. That was understandable. BUT when Gates started arguing with the officer, it created a bad dynamic between him and the officer. It's not hard to see what happened. Gates managed to talk himself into getting arrested by an officer who probably had enough lip from him.

I don't think either one should win an award for their behavior that night. It was two grown men who should have known better and acted better but decided to have a prick measuring contest.

I'm not a fan of Obama, but he was right. Arresting a man who was in his home for "loud and tumultuous behavior in a public space" when he came outside to argue with the officer about whether he had a right to be in his own home is stupid. As soon as the officer figured out the guy was the home owner, he should have apologized for the inconvenience/misunderstanding and left. Instead it became:

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af138/Outrider45/605074-cartman_super.jpg

MaceWindu
07-23-09, 00:36
I'm not a fan of Obama, but he was right. Arresting a man who was in his home for "loud and tumultuous behavior in a public space" when he came outside to argue with the officer about whether he had a right to be in his own home is stupid. As soon as the officer figured out the guy was the home owner, he should have apologized for the inconvenience/misunderstanding and left.

...exactly...

Mace

bkb0000
07-23-09, 01:19
I'm not a fan of Obama, but he was right. Arresting a man who was in his home for "loud and tumultuous behavior in a public space" when he came outside to argue with the officer about whether he had a right to be in his own home is stupid. As soon as the officer figured out the guy was the home owner, he should have apologized for the inconvenience/misunderstanding and left. Instead it became:

and the fact that this isn't what alot of cops seem to do anymore is indicative to the fact that we're facing a problem. police subculture is growing more and more isolated, authoritarian, militaristic, etc. this is why the standard has become to make an arrest, instead of an apology, when someone is agitated at being bothered by police, for any reason. this is also why almost all traffic stops across the urban/rural divide seem to be felony stops, these days. it wasn't that long ago, during a traffic stop, you'd have to be paying attention to observe what tactics the cop was using to protect himself. now, it appears even in small towns where there haven't been a single murder in over 100 years, that the standard is to be extremely overt- hands out the window, standing 5 feet behind the driver, hand on sidearm, spotlight blinding, perhaps even shouting commands from 20 feet back- all because your ****in license plate is "dirty."

i hope he sues, and i hope he wins.

RancidSumo
07-23-09, 01:45
If the postabove is correct and he started saying, "Why, because I'm black?" before showing proof that it was his house then I don't feel sorry for him. It reminds me of when a kid in my freshman physical science class was dicking off and when the instructor got mad at him he started yelling, " your just getting on my case because I'm Mexican!" to which the teacher replied, "No, it's because your STUPID!"

If, however, those comments were made after proof that he lived there had been established then it is a different story and I can completely understand his anger. It is all a matter of what came first.

Gramps
07-23-09, 02:11
I just wonder how it would have played out IF Obama was the Policeman, and Gates, was a WHITE guy and acted exactly the same way.

The leader of a great nation quoted saying "Acted Stupidly" really shows some real CLASS!! Nice choice of words, Mr Pres. What the telaprompter not working again?

ABN
07-23-09, 03:52
"But I think it's fair to say, No. 1, any of us would be pretty angry; No. 2, that the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home; and, No. 3 ... that there's a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately."-President Obama

1-The Officer was certainly there legitimately. Asking for identification to determine whether Gates was indeed the homeowner, considering the officer was responding to a burglary in progress call. Obama also mentioned he wasn't there, and obviously either was I but to me it seems very plausible that Gates kneejerk reaction was accusing racial oppression. I tend to believe the officers rendition of events in terms of
of the racial accusations made towards the officer. Gates calling this racial profiling, goes along way to demonstrating his flawed thought process and general ridiculousness.

2-Calling the Officers stupid is somewhat off, I believe he was being petty. Once the determination was made Gates was the homeowner, I think the Officer was better off placating him and just getting out of there. The end result of the arrest was giving Gates what he wanted, more publicity for himself and his life long cause. The Officer just played into Gates' hands. I also think Gates has a right to say what he wants, so long as it isnt inciting,threatening,ect. He shouldn't have been arrested. The Officer should be looking at the big picture of the reason he is employed, not teaching lessons to belligerent old men. Basically give Gates the opposite of his Academic Ivory Tower belief system of the world regarding the Police.

3-Thats probably correct, but there are other factors in play. That is a loaded statistic in my opinion and has nothing to do with Gates considering Gates wasn't stopped in a vehicle. Either way continually pointing to minor incidents as evidence of institutionalized racism, does nothing to help racial relations. It just widens the divide. On some level, people are gonna have to let the past go in order to move forward. I will never understand how an entire racial group can have a spokesman who understands all.

I read somewhere that being labeled a racist is the scarlet letter of modern times. The PC nonsense, and villifying opinions that you don't agree with has resulted in making it virtually impossible to have an honest discussion regarding race in this country.

A-Bear680
07-23-09, 06:13
Another piece of the puzzle:

.... ( Snip for Brevity)....

Regarding the incident itself - Mr Gates was having difficulties gaining access to his residence. The door refused to open as a result of a previous brake in attempt. Mr Gates enlisted the aid of his driver...
... (Sfb)...

The previous break-in is new info for me.

crossgun
07-23-09, 06:56
IMHO Gates was being an ass if it goes down as earlier explained. Screw the black white thing! I am tired of all the crying. Bottom line Cops have a shitty job and are always behind the curve. All Gates needed to do was calmly explain the events and there would have been no issue. In today’s world with all the pressure of life we all need to have a little more respect and patients to the role the police play. I am not pro cop and realize they cannot protect me in times of trouble, that’s why I do what I do and train like the majority of us here. However, I was raised to respect them and understand the danger they are in today.

If you’re going to act like an ASS then you should be treated like one.

How can anyone say this guy has a right to mouth off to a cop responding to a 911 burglary call and support his position? If you want to yell and bitch at someone drive to Pennsylvania Ave. in DC and see how long Obama and his boys will put up with your shit.

dwhitehorne
07-23-09, 07:39
What ever happened to Yes Sir and No Sir when speaking to the Police. Sergeant on scene made the arrest for Disorderly Conduct. When is the last time a SGT came on scene for a simple B&E call. Everyone always says Law Enforcement is reactive. I guess this guy didn't like the reaction. Next we will hear complaints about the slow response to the 911 calls in that part of town. Damned if you do Damned if you don't. David

buzz_knox
07-23-09, 07:48
What ever happened to Yes Sir and No Sir when speaking to the Police. Sergeant on scene made the arrest for Disorderly Conduct. When is the last time a SGT came on scene for a simple B&E call. Everyone always says Law Enforcement is reactive. I guess this guy didn't like the reaction. Next we will hear complaints about the slow response to the 911 calls in that part of town. Damned if you do Damned if you don't. David

I doubt that 911 response times in that part of time are anything close to slow. College professors (especially Ivy League ones) tend to live in areas where response times are quite good (i.e. where failure to respond ends up with politicians breathing down your neck).

HiggsBoson
07-23-09, 08:24
FYI, here is a link to the Cambridge PD police report (http://www.scribd.com/doc/17512830/Gates-Police-Report). It was submitted by the reporting officer, Carlos Figueroa.

Disclaimer: I cannot verify that this is the genuine report, but it appears to match all of the publicly available details.

Jay Cunningham
07-23-09, 08:30
I will remind the membership that M4C is a very LEO-friendly site. LEO's will always receive the benefit of the doubt here. If this thread devolves into LEO bashing it will be locked.

Bones357
07-23-09, 08:48
ETA: Thanks Katar. This site is one of the few that doesn't get my blood pressure up on a regular basis. :)

and the fact that this isn't what alot of cops seem to do anymore is indicative to the fact that we're facing a problem. police subculture is growing more and more isolated, authoritarian, militaristic, etc. this is why the standard has become to make an arrest, instead of an apology, when someone is agitated at being bothered by police, for any reason. this is also why almost all traffic stops across the urban/rural divide seem to be felony stops, these days. it wasn't that long ago, during a traffic stop, you'd have to be paying attention to observe what tactics the cop was using to protect himself. now, it appears even in small towns where there haven't been a single murder in over 100 years, that the standard is to be extremely overt- hands out the window, standing 5 feet behind the driver, hand on sidearm, spotlight blinding, perhaps even shouting commands from 20 feet back- all because your ****in license plate is "dirty."

i hope he sues, and i hope he wins.

You know, I typed a long response to this, but then I reconsidered. There is no point in trying to educate you.:rolleyes:

Zhurdan
07-23-09, 08:48
Lets see... they couldn't get the door open due to a previous B&E attempt. Hmmm... perhaps, just perhaps, the neighbor was concerned with there being another B&E attempt.

I wonder if he'd be ok with the officers not confirming ID on some other random person trying to shoulder in a door. All they need to say apparently, is that they live there. Problem solved right? Had that been the case, Mr. Gates would be up in arms for the officer not asking for ID to protect his property.

Gates sounds like a loudmouth, regardless of his race.

ST911
07-23-09, 09:19
The elements of the offense appear to be met in this case. PC existed for the arrest.

Like many other examples, it does appear on the surface to be a suboptimal use of discretion, and a better decision could possibly have been made.

I've taken verbal abuse from folks in their front yards, sometimes arresting them, sometimes not. Whether or not they got the clicks depended on a lot of factors, most of which you'd never know much less read in the newspaper.

We know things about people that others don't, which help form arrest decisions you might not understand.

I think there's a lot more to this story that we'll ever know.

jjrlong
07-23-09, 09:34
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/07/21/massachusetts.harvard.professor.arrested/index.html?iref=newssearch

Please reference the above CNN article. Notice in the first photograph of the BLACK POLICEMAN standing next to Mr. Gates. If we are to believe Mr. Gates, then the BLACK POLICEMAN must be a racist who is engaging in racial profiling.

montanadave
07-23-09, 09:39
Seems to me both parties involved ****ed up. Gates copped an attitude and got up in the officer's face and the officer, the one with professional training in managing confrontation, allowed the situation to escalate and over-reacted. Had either party taken a deep breath and stepped back a little, this incident would never have occurred.

dbrowne1
07-23-09, 10:32
I'm not a fan of Obama, but he was right. Arresting a man who was in his home for "loud and tumultuous behavior in a public space" when he came outside to argue with the officer about whether he had a right to be in his own home is stupid. As soon as the officer figured out the guy was the home owner, he should have apologized for the inconvenience/misunderstanding and left.

It's hard to piece together the real sequence of events from the crappy, loaded news reports, but it sounds like the cop DID leave and was walking away when Gates went on a tirade which then led to the disorderly arrest. From what I can piece together, this is what happened:

1. Neighbors see him forcing door open and (understandably) call police.
2. Police show up and Gates pulls an attitude right off the bat, accusing them of being racist. He eventually shows them his ID and they start to leave.
3. Not content with this outcome, Gates follows them and makes a scene, resulting in the arrest.

LOKNLOD
07-23-09, 10:42
I'm not a cop, or an ethnic minority of any type, but I do know that if I was cop and you told me I was going to have to confront and potentially arrest anyone who's job title was "director of Harvard's W.E.B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research" I'd call in sick, or dead, or something. It just sounds like a loaded situation from the get-go.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-23-09, 11:03
Anytime you have to say "Do you know who I am", you have to have an inflated sense of yourself. The only time I say that is when I more parts Jose Cuervo than I am FMCDH.

Glad to see he treats University employees as serfs. Stay here and fix my door.

It is sad that blacks had to march and were beaten for trying to excercise their rights, all so that this chuckle-head can scream at a cop.

When asked by people like that for my name, I always give my first roomate in college name. It just rolls of the tounge and doesn't seem to be made up.

Does Obama know every race-baiting, cop-hating, college professor and preacher in the world? His Christmas Card list would make a nice start to a watch list.

Interesting that the neighbor didn't recognize him.

How much you want to bet that Gates was coming back from some kind of America is bad and racist convention.

lalakai
07-23-09, 11:14
i think both sides have their own version of events and i doubt anyone will really know what happened. Unfortunately it's devolved into a race issue and considering the connections the guy has, "truth and fairness" will be set aside for political correctness.

others have commented on how the police are taking a more aggressive stance on simple stops, or responses to dispatches. Until you have approached a car in the dark and can't see what the occupants are doing, you really don't have a reference point to make a valid comment. Going on a domestic and you knock on the door and hear shooting....again, without a reference point it's hard to make a valid point. There was quite a bit of net play about how a 72 year old woman was tasered, but surprisingly little info about the 70 year old man who tried to shoot two deputies. Responding to a dispatch call about a possible break in, you entered the building wondering if the potential thief is still inside. Several times we've responded to silent alarms only to find a cleaning person inadvertently triggered them; doesn't matter. Those persons were secured until positive identification was made and that usually involved having a manager or owner arrive and confirm that the individual was actually who they claimed. It goes on and on. I still hate approaching a car at night, or doing a building search where a silent alarm was triggered. And if you have to ask me why i hate doing that, but continue to do so, then you won't understand my answer.

Smuckatelli
07-23-09, 11:51

Obama was 100% wrong on getting involved in this. He's the President of the United States, we don't need him to be micro-managing arrests that LEOs do on a daily basis. There was a DUI arrest made in our neighborhood two nights ago, Obama didn't say squat about it.

POTUS is supposed to be impartial, saying that he may be bias towards an individual and then segue race into the sentence is not what a president should be doing.

Specific to Mr Gates, from the limited information contained in that non-verified police report. The guy was looking for racial front page coverage. It appears a Harvard Professor is more intent on making front page news than he is concerned about the safety that LEOs provide us 24/7.

Macx
07-23-09, 11:55
Pretty sad when one of these professors needs to turn a non-issue into "street cred" for his bigotted soapbox. Harvard just lost a little more respect in my eyes. A junior college professor shouldn't conduct themselves that way.

Safetyhit
07-23-09, 12:09
Obama was 100% wrong on getting involved in this.

More like 1,000%. Way, way out of his lane.

The man is bad news on so many levels.

Smuckatelli
07-23-09, 12:18
I was going to have to confront and potentially arrest anyone who's job title was "director of Harvard's W.E.B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research" I'd call in sick, or dead, or something. It just sounds like a loaded situation from the get-go.

LOKNLOD, please don't take this personally, I'm going after that train of thought about calling in sick. I'm pretty sure that you really wouldn't do that;)

Any LEO that would avoid that type of situation lacks integrity.

Mentioning about sticking your hands out the wind, blinding lights and so on is unfortunately the world that the LEOs are forced to operate in. The don't have the luxury of escalation of force, they have to de-escalate with every stop that they make. There are way to many gangbangers, Mr Gates and so on.....

Yes sir, no sir applies to LEOs. Once the LEO has de-escalated the situation where deadly force isn't needed than we can talk about the weather.

Gramps
07-23-09, 12:20
More like 1,000%. Way, way out of his lane. (Just where is his lane? Does he have one? Maybe it is the fast lane on the "Supper Defecation Hy-way")

The man is bad news on ANY level.

Sorry just had to give my version/opinion of that.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-23-09, 12:21
We had the War on Poverty, War on Drugs, War on Terrorism. Welcome to the War on White Guys.

Interesting that such a well spoken man like Obama used the word "stupid". Stupid is different than ignorant. Ignorant can be fixed, stupid implies, with a classist undertone, that the cop cannot comprehend what he did wrong.

So much for racial healing.

dbrowne1
07-23-09, 12:27
Interesting that such a well spoken man like Obama used the word "stupid". Stupid is different than ignorant. Ignorant can be fixed, stupid implies, with a classist undertone, that the cop cannot comprehend what he did wrong.

Also interesting that this "renowned scholar" told the cop, "I'll meet your MAMA on the porch!" after the cop asked him to step outside onto the porch if he wanted to talk. Very scholarly indeed.

This professor clearly had a huge chip on his shoulder and an agenda long before that cop showed up.

kwelz
07-23-09, 12:31
I love our police. Ok love may be a strong word, I don't swing that way, but I respect and support police in pretty much all cases.

However it seems to be that once the guy showed ID, these officers needed to leave. They had no right to be there if no crime was committed and the owner did not want them there. He was on his property and not in a public place. For all I care he could walk around naked and singing opera and they should leave him alone.

I know enough officers to know that 97% of them are good, hardworking, people. However there are a few who let the power go to their head and will look for any reason to harass someone and exert their power. I also know that in my area those few who act like that aren't even liked by their fellow officers.

Dave Berryhill
07-23-09, 13:00
In the best form of political doublespeak, the White House has now stated that the president was not calling the police officer stupid when he said that the police acted stupidly.

Speaking of acting stupidly, one of the first things that Barry said when asked the question by the reporter was that he didn't know all of the facts about the case. That should have been the end of his answer.

I don't blame the sergeant one bit for arresting the professor. He acted professionally and tried to walk away but the professor insisted on following him outside. Unfortunately for the professor, the rules changed once he did that. You'd think that being such a "scholar" he would have known the difference between "in your home" and "in public." There was no need to continue to take abuse from the professor. At some point you need to stand up for yourself and for all other police officers, which is what the sergeant did.

khc3
07-23-09, 13:04
I love the jerks who talk themselves into getting arrested.

The esteemed Professor's mother is probably turning over in her grave, wondering where he learned such manners.

khc3
07-23-09, 13:06
We had the War on Poverty, War on Drugs, War on Terrorism. Welcome to the War on White Guys.

So much for racial healing.

it's a common meme, especially among black academics, that whites are incorrigibly racist. I used to comment on the irony of such a belief, but few others seemed to notice.

dbrowne1
07-23-09, 13:18
However it seems to be that once the guy showed ID, these officers needed to leave. ... He was on his property and not in a public place.

They did leave after he produced his ID. Gates followed them outside and made a huge scene. That's what got him arrested.

Also, merely being on your own property doesn't take you outside the scope of disorderly conduct laws. If you're within eye and earshot of the public such that your behavior can cause annoyance and alarm, it doesn't matter if you're on your own front porch or front lawn. Ditto for drunk and disorderly.

chadbag
07-23-09, 13:18
The stuff I read says there were several witnesses who backed up the police's story on this. The professor was the stupid one. Trying to generate "racist" headlines at the expense of the police.

BHO was doubly stupid to have become involved in this. Yet again, an amateur in the POTUS job strikes again.

Gramps
07-23-09, 13:25
Yet again, an amateur in the POTUS job strikes again. (Here's your sign)

Just no way, no how, that could have been better said! Thanks. You just got a SOLID GOLD STAR. ;)

dookie1481
07-23-09, 13:36
The stuff I read says there were several witnesses who backed up the police's story on this.

Yeah but they were all probably racists too :rolleyes:

Jay

decodeddiesel
07-23-09, 13:47
Funny enough I just re-watched Penn and Teller's Bullshit episode entitled "College". The point of the episode was to show how college "diversity" indoctrination is PC brainwashing. I am willing to bet Prof. Gates leads the charge on this sort of thing there at Harvard. Kind of related, kind of not.

http://www.milkandcookies.com/link/166487/detail/

I think it was a piss poor set of circumstances which resulted in some juvenile behavior on the part of Prof. Gates, and probably some hurt feelings and questionable decisions made on the part of Sgt. Crowley. I think who ever said it is right, they (the police) played right into his hands and for that I think they made some bad decisions.

However, Obama publicly criticizing the police officer involved and even referring to him as "stupid"...well...there isn't much that President Obama does anymore that surprises me.

RancidSumo
07-23-09, 14:04
If that is the actual police report then Gates is the stupid one in this situation. I hate listening to people make a big deal of nothing and pulling the race card whenever they speak. No wonder he works where he does. Nowhere but the "W.E.B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research" would employ such a racist.

Also, wasn't it TR who said that there is now such thing as a good American that is a hyphenated American? This guy needs to just be an American and not expect different treatment because he is black. It pisses me off when people expect to get preferential treatment because their ancestors were abused from people that did nothing to their ancestors. The sins of the father do not pass to the son. This is the ultimate form of collectivism.

I recommend reading Ayn Rand's essay on Racism.

KYPD
07-23-09, 14:27
The officer should have left the house immediately upon confirming the professor lived there. The Professor should have backed off when the officer finally did leave his house, and not continue to berate him. Both parties were wrong.

But the police officer had authority the professor didn't, and he used it improperly. With greater authority, especially the authority, backed by the threat of deadly force, to handcuff a man and throw him in jail, comes greater responsibility. But this sort of thing happens all the time, and in the final analysis, is no big deal.

The real problem here is a Chicago politician continuing his irresponsible, race-baiting, Jesse Jacksonish behavior even after being elected President. Obama shames all Americans. :(

decodeddiesel
07-23-09, 14:43
I recommend reading Ayn Rand's essay on Racism.

It's a good read. Ayn Rand is one of my favorites.

Gramps
07-23-09, 14:46
Sounds like Mr Gates "Do You Know Who I Am" found Officer "Do You Know Who/What I Am", and Mr. Gates did not like having to "Submit" to being treated as he was treating. Some times the "Race Card" needs to be thrown out and remember the little phrase, "Do unto others as you would like others to do unto you", but they don't like that. No way, it is always a "One way street for the Race card". Maybe Mr. Gates would like to live in a "Lawless Society", where any/everything goes. He don't need no stinking Officer to uphold the laws!

Just who is the most "Racial"?

ABN
07-23-09, 15:09
The officer should have left the house immediately upon confirming the professor lived there. The Professor should have backed off when the officer finally did leave his house, and not continue to berate him. Both parties were wrong.

But the police officer had authority the professor didn't, and he used it improperly. With greater authority, especially the authority, backed by the threat of deadly force, to handcuff a man and throw him in jail, comes greater responsibility. But this sort of thing happens all the time, and in the final analysis, is no big deal.

The real problem here is a Chicago politician continuing his irresponsible, race-baiting, Jesse Jacksonish behavior even after being elected President. Obama shames all Americans. :(

I think it is very interesting that President Obama and Gates are both highly educated African Americans. Yet, Gates is alleging racial profiling and President Obama cited a statisitic that had absolutely nothing to do with this particular case. (Blacks and Latinos being stopped more than whites) My point here is alot of there opinion is based on emotions regarding the past rather than logical thought.

Sam
07-23-09, 15:42
Don't forget that the current occupant of the White House didn't want to be photographed with police officers during the campaign. Remember his campaign specifically located the policemen and cameramen during the campaign stops so that the police were not in the pictures.

I don't think he cared or respected the law enforcement community anyway. So his unscripted comments reflected his true feelings.

SteyrAUG
07-23-09, 15:49
I'm so glad that poverty, poor education, lack of good guidance, living in a crime ridden ghetto, and having to deal with bigots hasn't been an obstacle to anyone in American history. -I'm not saying every criminal would have been a productive member of society but if there are enough roadblocks to success, a lot of people will fail badly.

So are you suggesting that doesn't describe just as many white people as black people in this country? Whites being the majority of the population probably have just as many, if not more, people who live in the above conditions as blacks (we need to remember not all minorities live in the ghetto) but despite that, minorities still commit a DISPROPORTIONATE amount of crime.

Additionally, not everyone (black, white, martian, etc.) who lives in those conditions automatically becomes a criminal just as people raised in good environments aren't automatically not criminals.

ZDL
07-23-09, 16:01

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-23-09, 16:03
Since when is the Harvard University Library Card the universal Get-out-of-jail card????? Only cute coeds can use the library card as ID and get into bars..

Not to Thursday Afternoon quarterback, but this is how I would have answered if I were the cop.

"May I see some ID"
"Sir, if I knew who you were, I wouldn't ask you for ID."
"Sir, I am not a Librarian, can I see some gov't issued ID to prove that you reside here?"
"Sir, if you have to ask what the mayor's and police chief's names are, I don't think that is going to help."
"Why no, I didn't notice you were black till you brought it up. And frankly I don't think you are much of a man."
" 'Your Mama', really sir. This is the 21st century, 1980s cut downs are so very lame. Are you going to sing 'Rock on to Electric Avenue' now?"

ZDL
07-23-09, 16:08

LOKNLOD
07-23-09, 16:13
LOKNLOD, please don't take this personally, I'm going after that train of thought about calling in sick. I'm pretty sure that you really wouldn't do that;)

Gotcha, no offense at all, and I think you picked up on my meaning which was that it was one of the shittiest political situations an officer could find himself walking into. Not that calling in sick was really an option ;)

lalakai
07-23-09, 16:58
tracked this down. can't verify it's authenticity, but it looks valid

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0723092gates1.html

i think a bee's nest got kicked when the POTUS jumped in and made some inflammitory comments. As was pointed out, neither Jesse Jackson or Rev(gag) Sharpon have jumped on this pony, while Bill Cosby has publically come out against the comments by the POTUS.

sometimes karma bites you at the most surprising times.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-23-09, 17:01
If black people can pull the race card, whites should be able to pull out a 'get-out-of-race jail' cards.

It would go something like this.

"Why, because I'm a black man in America" as he reaches into his wallet and pulls out the race card.
At which time Crowley would say "I'm Sgt. Crowley with the Cambridge Police Department" as he pulled out his card from the family of Boston Celtics player Reggie Lewis who Crowley tried to revieve with CPR.
To which Gates would say "Oh. I must be mistaken. Brothers don't hand these cards out to just anyone. Thanks for checking up on the house officer, have a nice day."

Everyone says they have a black friend, this way we could prove it.

Buckaroo
07-23-09, 17:10
Cambridge Sgt. James Crowley has taught a class on racial profiling for five years at the Lowell Police Academy after being hand-picked for the job by former police Commissioner Ronny Watson, who is black, said Academy Director Thomas Fleming.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D99KBEAO1&show_article=1

Bill Cosby shocked by Obama's comments

http://features.csmonitor.com/politics/2009/07/23/bill-cosby-shocked-at-obamas-statement-on-harvard-profs-arrest/

Bill Cosby for President! I said it first. He is waaay too smart for that I'm sure!

Buckaroo

decodeddiesel
07-23-09, 17:18
Bill Cosby for President! I said it first. He is waaay too smart for that I'm sure!

Buckaroo

ZIB ZOP ZIBI DOO WOOP!

MSP "Sarge"
07-23-09, 18:13
We go to work wearing a bullet resistant vest and a firearm. The job is not easy.

If one of my guys called in sick because they didn't want to confront or have to answer a call like this then they are ball less and don't need to be on the job. JMO.

To the comment will anyone really know. Hell ya we know. There were several police officers from two different departments present along with the complainant who called in the suspected burglary in progress to a residence that had been burglarized in the past. Further Gates continued to be loud and boisterous and a gathering of neighbors were present. If I recall there were six or seven neighbor/passersby present outside of his residence. So I think we have a pretty good understanding of what happened. Gates went outside and caused a public disturbence.

The Sergent did leave when he was satisfied that the person acting like and ass was the resident of the home.

Sergeant Crowley did a good job. He responded to a burglary and nobody got shot or hurt.

A-Bear680
07-23-09, 18:16
IIRC , Mr. Cosby appears on some carefully researched lists of NYC CCW permit holders.
He is one of us.

:)

chadbag
07-23-09, 18:27
IIRC , Mr. Cosby appears on some carefully researched lists of NYC CCW permit holders.
He is one of us.

:)

Hi. Not to rain on your parade, but:

It only means he has connections. Feinstein supposedly has a CA CCW permit. That does not make her one of us.

Cosby seems to be a reasonable dude often. He may well be a great 2A supporter. Having a NYC CCW does not mean anything in answering that question though.

Artos
07-23-09, 18:55
I will remind the membership that M4C is a very LEO-friendly site. LEO's will always receive the benefit of the doubt here. If this thread devolves into LEO bashing it will be locked.

...excellent.

we'll see how it plays out but I'm glad the leo under fire said there will never be an apology. The pres now said he did not call the leo stupid :confused::confused: The man was selling us the snake oil health care and he brought up a race issue over one arrest?? I don't think any other acting pres would have commented without knowing the facts and to say an officer acted stupidly is way out of line....I guess HE was there. Why not stick to the topic and say, "we'll have to see what the facts bring up, next question"??

it almost sounded like a loaded press to me last nite....I get more disappointed daily. :(

A-Bear680
07-23-09, 18:56
Hi. Not to rain on your parade, but:

It only means he has connections. Feinstein supposedly has a CA CCW permit. That does not make her one of us.

Cosby seems to be a reasonable dude often. He may well be a great 2A supporter. Having a NYC CCW does not mean anything in answering that question though.

True. Just having a CCW would not be enough. There are some real a$$holes with CCW's.
I think we can find some common ground here.

Mr. Cosby has what it takes to move his permit application thru a very difficult process. Could be that he did it very smart and with integrity.

He seems like a reasonable guy and a good role model for the Youths of America ----clearly one of the good guys.

I have no knowledge of any anti-2nd Amendment statements by Mr. Cosby -- for sure not since the murder of his son. He gets very little media attention -- perhaps because he is a good guy with a positive message.
So;
If he is , in fact , a gunowner , with an interest in the defense of the innocent ( as shown by his CCW) , is a fairly reasonable guy with integrity and seems like one of the good guys...

He's one of us.
Kinda like Roy Innis.

YMMV.

ZDL
07-23-09, 19:41

CryingWolf
07-23-09, 19:47

I think the LEO's in this case did nothing wrong. As for the president turning this into a national race war, probably not the wisest thing to do during these economic times.

CALSHOOTER
07-23-09, 20:06
I looked at the report and Gates was on a power tripin rant that went outside into the public view and ear shot, Gates was asked to claim down outside but he continued to go on loudly at that. When you draw in the view of the public by voice or actions (negative to public) in the public that is disturbing the peace. Nothing more nothing less. These are friends of the big "O". :eek:

rockm4
07-23-09, 21:11
IMHO Gates was being an ass if it goes down as earlier explained. Screw the black white thing! I am tired of all the crying. Bottom line Cops have a shitty job and are always behind the curve. All Gates needed to do was calmly explain the events and there would have been no issue. In today’s world with all the pressure of life we all need to have a little more respect and patients to the role the police play. I am not pro cop and realize they cannot protect me in times of trouble, that’s why I do what I do and train like the majority of us here. However, I was raised to respect them and understand the danger they are in today.

If you’re going to act like an ASS then you should be treated like one.

How can anyone say this guy has a right to mouth off to a cop responding to a 911 burglary call and support his position? If you want to yell and bitch at someone drive to Pennsylvania Ave. in DC and see how long Obama and his boys will put up with your shit.

Very well put, I sick of this poor victim crap too. I dropped out of school to work the farm. we were to poor to hire help, I grew up in a small town where everyone got along, I never knew what raciest meant so when I turned 17 I joined The Marines and went straight to Vietnam. Pulled two tours there, and then in every third world shit hole on the planet. put myself through school and Retired as a captain after 20 years of faithful service. I worked nine country's in Africa, saw blacks die by the hundreds everyday from famine,sickness and mostly each other. Everyone who wants to pull that victim act and poor me I didn't get the chance like he did needs to hop a plane over there and see what they think their missing and how good they have it here, this is for anyone white or black.

Gramps
07-23-09, 21:12
He leads your country and tells the police they are stupid!! But the police do know how to talk on a phone as well as a radio!

Just who is it that is "Stupid"?

khc3
07-24-09, 00:32
I looked at the report and Gates was on a power tripin rant that went outside into the public view and ear shot, Gates was asked to claim down outside but he continued to go on loudly at that. When you draw in the view of the public by voice or actions (negative to public) in the public that is disturbing the peace. Nothing more nothing less. These are friends of the big "O". :eek:

And like it or hate it, but the police are the legitimate authority enforcing the laws of the state. Putting aside the stupid South park references, tell you beef with the cops to your attorney. Let him handle it.

nickdrak
07-24-09, 02:03
When obama was a "community organizer" on the south side of Chicago, in the Altgeld Gardens neighborhood, he was know to chase police calls and encourage those stopped by the police to file complaints and civil rights violation law suits. That was his M/O then, and it still is to this day.

BTW, the Altgeld Gardens neighborhood is still one of the worst in the city in terms of poverty, crime, and a total lack of jobs and development. Apparently his "community organizing" efforts didnt do much to help out those folks that he flat-out used to get his name on the ballot during the infancy of his political career.

That's the Chicago way baby!!!:(

Parabellum9x19mm
07-24-09, 06:07
some people don't understand something as basic as an OFFICER SAFETY ISSUE.

when an LEO requests that you (for instance) shut off your engine, step outside, keep your hands in view, you DO NOT make a fuss.

it doesn't matter if you're white, black, 17 or 67.

if the good doctor just acted in civil manner and complied with the officer's reasonable requests (for the sake of EVERYONE'S safety) there wouldn't even be an issue to discuss here. nothing would have transpired.

it is a sad state of affairs that our ****ing president can't even understand this simple fact.

if anyone was guilty of discriminatory racial profiling, it was the stupid neighbor who called the cops in the first place, not the police sgt in question

A-Bear680
07-24-09, 06:18
The duly elected , and currently serving , POTUS is in for a series of teachable moments.

Gotta wonder if SFC Powell is is gonna explain some chit to the ButterBar ?

:D

John_Wayne777
07-24-09, 07:58
I'm going to go out on a limb:

1. The Cambridge police department has non-biased evidence of what went down here...evidence like audio and video recordings.

2. The Cambridge police department has reviewed this evidence.

3. The Cambridge police department has made their public statements based on the proof available in that evidence.

4. Barack Obama is, as usual, talking out of his ass...yet again coming down on the side of the person in the wrong.

5. The officer here is most likely in the right given 1,2, and 3....but he will be crucified in the media because when given a choice between asking hard questions of someone who makes a living from being a member of a permanent victim class, they will always take the more comfortable choice.

6. I sincerely hope every police officer and member of the military in the country is watching this episode VERY carefully. Obama went out of his way to throw a cop under a bus. That's what "community organizers" do.

Sam
07-24-09, 08:07
Cops response to obongo's "stupidly" comment: Disgraceful.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,534687,00.html

THE FROG
07-24-09, 08:08
Obama is a racist. His recent choice for a Supreme Court Judge is a racist. Race relations have gotten worse and will continue to do so.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-24-09, 08:14
Barry's near constant use of teleprompters for even the shortest and simplist speeches always made me think he was unable to speak and think for himself and made me worry who was pulling his string. In reality, the more he talks unscripted, the more I realize they keep him on a prompter to keep the speeches and statements short. They aren't telling him what to say, they are limiting what he says. Get him off script and he gives 10 minute answers to 30 second questions, and stupidly uses uses words like 'stupidly', and doesn't know why it is offensive.

I'm starting to wonder what kind of relationship Barry has with Ward Churchill.

Barry is below 50%, Welcome Back Carter.

A-Bear680
07-24-09, 08:32
It's a ray of sunshine:

.... ( Snip for brevity) ....
Barry is below 50%, Welcome Back Carter.

The US is still a constitutional republic with checks and balances in place.

If Congress and the courts do thier jobs ( big if) --- Lady Liberty can do the next three and a half years standing on her head.

In Kevlar yoga pants , of course.

Pricey -- but worth every nickle.

We are still winning.

decodeddiesel
07-24-09, 09:32
I listened to Sgt. Crowley's radio interview, and have reconsidered some of the facts here...

He seems like a good honest cop, and it seems many other public officials and star personalities from the area seem to agree. I was listening to the radio (moderate station, perhaps slightly left leaning) and they were expounding how he runs an anti-racial profiling group within the Cambridge PD and how he was hand selected for the position and that he coaches a junior high school basketball team, and he's a father of 3. Good guy and I think he got a shitty raw deal here.

I also heard Prof. Gate's interview on I think CNN or some such place stating how vulnerable black men are in America today and how Sgt. Crowley is a rouge cop with a racist agenda. :rolleyes:

I need to stop, I am getting pissed off just sitting at my desk thinking about it.

Safetyhit
07-24-09, 09:50
Seems as though everyone, even the liberal outlets, are covering this story. All of the coverage seems to be a negative reflection on both Obama and Gates. I am both shocked and very pleased.

Even this black woman's video commentary linked from CNN is fair and sensible. Maybe the truth really matters to most after all?

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-303137

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-24-09, 10:51
FNC says that there is an audio tape of the confrontation. Can't wait.

"Free at Last" to "YO Mama" in forty years.

Proff. Gates side of the story.

http://www.theroot.com/views/skip-gates-speaks

Sounds like a prissy bitch. I need my cane, this cell is too small I'm claustaphbobic. Even goes after the neighbor.

Gramps
07-24-09, 11:44
if anyone was guilty of discriminatory racial profiling, it was the stupid neighbor who called the cops in the first place,

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just wondering.

Please enlighten me as to this statement. How was she acting "Stupidly" to a house that was in her neighborhood, and had been broken into recently, with two guy's trying to push the front door in? Was it because she didn't recognize her own neighbor enough to know him, or what?

MaceWindu
07-24-09, 11:54
Can someone tell me why the charges were dropped? If the prof was so incorrect and the officer was, why drop the charges?

Disclaimer: This is a valid question! Not stirring anything, I really don't know! ...*ducking for cover*...

Mace

Longhorn
07-24-09, 11:55
FNC says that there is an audio tape of the confrontation. Can't wait.

"Free at Last" to "YO Mama" in forty years.

Proff. Gates side of the story.

http://www.theroot.com/views/skip-gates-speaks

Sounds like a prissy bitch. I need my cane, this cell is too small I'm claustaphbobic. Even goes after the neighbor.

Wow...

I understand there are 2 sides to every story (well, really there's 3 - his, hers and the truth) but this is just...wow.

The more I read and hear about Sgt. Crowley, the more I'm impressed. Sounds like a stand up guy who's got his shit squared away not only as an LEO but as a man and father. I hope the guys in his Dept and his friends give him a helping hand to pick him up from under the bus.

WillBrink
07-24-09, 11:57
If anyone wishes to give officer Crowley some support:

Community Relations:
http://www.cambridgema.gov/cpd/conta...fm?email_id=75

Police Commissioner:
http://www.cambridgema.gov/cpd/conta...fm?email_id=37

Please also take a moment to email the president of Harvard and condemn Gates' attack on Officer Crowley:

president@harvard.edu

Officer in Henry Gates flap tried to save Reggie Lewis
Denies he’s a racist, won’t apologize

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/reg...icleid=1186567

Quote:
The Cambridge cop prominent Harvard University professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. claims is a racist gave a dying Reggie Lewis mouth-to-mouth resuscitation in a desperate bid to save the Celtics [team stats] superstar’s life 16 years ago Monday.

“I wasn’t working on Reggie Lewis the basketball star. I wasn’t working on a black man. I was working on another human being,” Sgt. James Crowley, in an exclusive interview with the Herald, said of the forward’s fatal heart attack July 27, 1993, at age 27 during an off-season practice at Brandeis University, where Crowley was a campus police officer.

It’s a date Crowley still can recite by rote - and he still recalls the pain he suffered when people back then questioned whether he had done enough to save the black athlete.

“Some people were saying ‘There’s the guy who killed Reggie Lewis’ afterward. I was broken-hearted. I cried for many nights,” he said.

Crowley, 42, said he’s not a racist, despite how some have cast his actions in the Gates case. “Those who know me know I’m not,” he said.

Yesterday, Lewis’ widow, Donna Lewis, was floored to learn the embattled father of three on the thin blue line of a national debate on racism in America was the same man so determined to rescue her husband.

“That’s incredible,” Lewis, 44, exclaimed. “It’s an unfortunate situation. Hopefully, it can resolve itself. The most important thing is peace.”

Gates, 58, an acclaimed scholar on black history and a PBS documentarian, went on the attack against Crowley on Tuesday, demanding he apologize for arresting him for disorderly conduct last Thursday while investigating a reported break-in at his home. Gates, returning from a trip, was seen by a Malden woman trying to force his front door open. Police alleged he initially refused to identify himself.

Though he harbors no “ill feelings toward the professor,” a calm, resolute Crowley said no mea culpa will be forthcoming.

“I just have nothing to apologize for,” he said. “It will never happen.”

rmecapn
07-24-09, 12:32
I, personally, am very pleased with the POTUS' response to this. It is my deeply held hope that he continues to alienate the vast majority of those who carry the guns and wear the uniforms. That way, when this subversive piece of human excrement trys to make his power play, the very folks he needs to have supporting him will actually turn on him. And they will do it because they fully understand and appreciate that he is indeed a subversive.

Dave Berryhill
07-24-09, 13:03
Can someone tell me why the charges were dropped? If the prof was so incorrect and the officer was, why drop the charges?

Disclaimer: This is a valid question! Not stirring anything, I really don't know! ...*ducking for cover*...

Mace

Political correctness probably. It was foolish to do so IMO. The professor is likely to sue the police department regardless of the outcome. Dropping the charges will only hurt the city's case and help the professor show that the Sergeant's actions were improper.

decodeddiesel
07-24-09, 13:04

Mace

I hate to bring it up Mace, but the POTUS as we know is "good friends" with Prof. Gates. I am pretty sure this may have had something to do with the charges being dropped.

It makes me sick.

lalakai
07-24-09, 13:40
there is already talk from "Gates' Legal Team" pertaining to a possible suit against Crowley. Though Crowley has already received extremely strong backing from his department, and other departments/associations across the nation, if he's heading into a legal battle with Harvard (essentially that will be the case) it will be costly.

I would have no problem contributing if a fund was identified where money could be sent in the advent of legal procedings. If such a fund was publically identified, it might be extremely surprising to Gates and his friend, at how many people would contribute, and the funds that would be generated. the POTUS often boasted at how strong his grass roots support was...........this would be a chance to show him how strong the grass roots support is, for someone who's actions he has publically labelled as stupid and racial.

dbrowne1
07-24-09, 13:54
there is already talk from "Gates' Legal Team" pertaining to a possible suit against Crowley.

Which would hopefully draw a counterclaim against Gates for defamation.

Gates is an opportunistic race-baiter. He's Al Sharpton with a faculty appointment at Harvard.

USMC03
07-24-09, 14:09

Mace

Mace,

Charges being dropped often times have nothing to do with the Officers actions being wrong or right.

I have seen this several times in my career. Someone important does something to get arrested (and the Officer is completely justified by making the arrest and is within state law and department policies).

Then the situation makes it to the media. The media NEVER takes the side of law enforcement.

Police Adminstration start feeling political pressure and instead of backing their Officer, they drop charges.

Generally charges are dropped for a few reasons. 1) In case at a later date it is found that the Officer was even slightly in the wrong, the Police Admin have distanced themselves from the Officer. 2) Police Admin hope to avoid a law suit by dropping charges. 3) For Administrators it's easier to drop charges, publically appologise, and imply that their Officer made a bad judgement call than backing the Officer and telling a VIP that they were in the wrong and deserved to go to jail.

By dropping charges most people think the Officer did something wrong. A majority of the time this is not the case. Most of the time Administrators don't have the backbone to stand up for their Officers and take the political pressure and media attention that goes along with "doing what is right".

And if the issue of the arrest being based on race, multiply what is written above by a factor of 10.

S/F,
Jeff

WGG
07-24-09, 14:16

Mace

Harvard University is one of the largest tax payers and employers in the City of Cambridge. I am sure someone from Harvard called the mayor who told the police to drop the charges. If Gates was not such an asshat that would have been the end of it.

ZDL
07-24-09, 14:51

Safetyhit
07-24-09, 15:03
president@harvard.edu

Made sure to hit this one. Maybe if enough complain they will get rid of the entitled, divisive bastard. This reminds me of the reverend Wright nightmare all over again.

This time, however, it seems as though more are paying attention. Lot's of blacks speaking out against Gates. Maybe there is some unbiased common sense out there after all?

Obama stepping-up to the mike spur of the moment today was yet another mistake. He came off just as bad as always. There is so much hidden behind that phony exterior, but I think he may be about to burst at the seams.

ST911
07-24-09, 15:22
Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just wondering. Please enlighten me as to this statement. How was she acting "Stupidly" to a house that was in her neighborhood, and had been broken into recently, with two guy's trying to push the front door in? Was it because she didn't recognize her own neighbor enough to know him, or what?

Here's a thought: What if the neighbor did indeed recognize him? I can envision (and have seen) several scenarios where folks used an available opportunity to poke at a neighbor they didn't care for.

Disclaimer: This is a valid question! Not stirring anything, I really don't know! ...*ducking for cover*... Mace

USMC03 covered it. It's done more often than most would think. Not always because an officer did something wrong or suboptimal. Sometimes it's just to hasten the end of an issue that's come up. Sometimes it's done for a greater good. Sometimes, as it appears to be in this case, it's a mistake.

NCPatrolAR
07-24-09, 15:54
Mace,

Charges being dropped often times have nothing to do with the Officers actions being wrong or right.

I have seen this several times in my career. Someone important does something to get arrested (and the Officer is completely justified by making the arrest and is within state law and department policies).

Then the situation makes it to the media. The media NEVER takes the side of law enforcement.

Police Adminstration start feeling political pressure and instead of backing their Officer, they drop charges.

Generally charges are dropped for a few reasons. 1) In case at a later date it is found that the Officer was even slightly in the wrong, the Police Admin have distanced themselves from the Officer. 2) Police Admin hope to avoid a law suit by dropping charges. 3) For Administrators it's easier to drop charges, publically appologise, and imply that their Officer made a bad judgement call than backing the Officer and telling a VIP that they were in the wrong and deserved to go to jail.

By dropping charges most people think the Officer did something wrong. A majority of the time this is not the case. Most of the time Administrators don't have the backbone to stand up for their Officers and take the political pressure and media attention that goes along with "doing what is right".

And if the issue of the arrest being based on race, multiply what is written above by a factor of 10.

S/F,
Jeff

Exactly. Speak with any police officer that has been working for longer than a week and he will be able to tell you stories about cases being dropped for no apparent reason.

MaceWindu
07-24-09, 16:01
I listened and watched the Sgt. respond. After hearing him, his demeanor, and him explain?: I like him. He seems to be very professional and had a very clear reason for everything that he did. Nothing was out of line, nothing outrageous.

I have to say that it seems the professor did push this beyond what it needed to be.

Mace

parishioner
07-24-09, 16:01
3) For Administrators it's easier to drop charges, publically appologise, and imply that their Officer made a bad judgement call than backing the Officer and telling a VIP that they were in the wrong and deserved to go to jail.

Wow. Thats just about the most disgusting and despicable thing I have ever read.

Parabellum9x19mm
07-24-09, 16:33
Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just wondering.

Please enlighten me as to this statement. How was she acting "Stupidly" to a house that was in her neighborhood, and had been broken into recently, with two guy's trying to push the front door in? Was it because she didn't recognize her own neighbor enough to know him, or what?

yes.

i dont know you, but i know my neighbors. and i really do keep to myself and dont really socialize with them, but i do know them

what Skintop911 posted is also a possibility....

if i saw this occurring in broad daylight, i would probably go over there and ask if they needed any assistance.

montanadave
07-24-09, 17:11
Here is a transcript of President Obama's remarks at this afternoon's press conference. Many of you will likely disagree, but there's not much in this statement that I find objectionable.

STATEMENT BY THE PRESIDENT
James S. Brady Press Briefing Room
2:33 P.M. EDT
THE PRESIDENT: Hey, it’s a cameo appearance. Sit down, sit down. I need to help Gibbs out a little bit here.
Q Are you the new press secretary?
THE PRESIDENT: If you got to do a job, do it yourself. (Laughter.)
I wanted to address you guys directly because over the last day and a half obviously there’s been all sorts of controversy around the incident that happened in Cambridge with Professor Gates and the police department there.
I actually just had a conversation with Sergeant Jim Crowley, the officer involved. And I have to tell you that as I said yesterday, my impression of him was that he was a outstanding police officer and a good man, and that was confirmed in the phone conversation — and I told him that.
And because this has been ratcheting up — and I obviously helped to contribute ratcheting it up — I want to make clear that in my choice of words I think I unfortunately gave an impression that I was maligning the Cambridge Police Department or Sergeant Crowley specifically — and I could have calibrated those words differently. And I told this to Sergeant Crowley.
I continue to believe, based on what I have heard, that there was an overreaction in pulling Professor Gates out of his home to the station. I also continue to believe, based on what I heard, that Professor Gates probably overreacted as well. My sense is you’ve got two good people in a circumstance in which neither of them were able to resolve the incident in the way that it should have been resolved and the way they would have liked it to be resolved.
The fact that it has garnered so much attention I think is a testimony to the fact that these are issues that are still very sensitive here in America. So to the extent that my choice of words didn’t illuminate, but rather contributed to more media frenzy, I think that was unfortunate.
What I’d like to do then I make sure that everybody steps back for a moment, recognizes that these are two decent people, not extrapolate too much from the facts — but as I said at the press conference, be mindful of the fact that because of our history, because of the difficulties of the past, you know, African Americans are sensitive to these issues. And even when you’ve got a police officer who has a fine track record on racial sensitivity, interactions between police officers and the African American community can sometimes be fraught with misunderstanding.
My hope is, is that as a consequence of this event this ends up being what’s called a "teachable moment," where all of us instead of pumping up the volume spend a little more time listening to each other and try to focus on how we can generally improve relations between police officers and minority communities, and that instead of flinging accusations we can all be a little more reflective in terms of what we can do to contribute to more unity. Lord knows we need it right now — because over the last two days as we’ve discussed this issue, I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but nobody has been paying much attention to health care. (Laughter.)
I will not use this time to spend more words on health care, although I can’t guarantee that that will be true next week. I just wanted to emphasize that — one last point I guess I would make. There are some who say that as President I shouldn’t have stepped into this at all because it’s a local issue. I have to tell you that that part of it I disagree with. The fact that this has become such a big issue I think is indicative of the fact that race is still a troubling aspect of our society. Whether I were black or white, I think that me commenting on this and hopefully contributing to constructive — as opposed to negative — understandings about the issue, is part of my portfolio.
So at the end of the conversation there was a discussion about — my conversation with Sergeant Crowley, there was discussion about he and I and Professor Gates having a beer here in the White House. We don’t know if that’s scheduled yet — (laughter) — but we may put that together.
He also did say he wanted to find out if there was a way of getting the press off his lawn. (Laughter.) I informed him that I can’t get the press off my lawn. (Laughter.) He pointed out that my lawn is bigger than his lawn. (Laughter.) But if anybody has any connections to the Boston press, as well as national press, Sergeant Crowley would be happy for you to stop trampling his grass.
All right. Thank you, guys.
END 2:33 P.M. EDT

ZDL
07-24-09, 17:36

ZDL
07-24-09, 17:43

parishioner
07-24-09, 17:44
He shouldn't have had to calibrate any words because he shouldn't have been commenting about it in the first place. This incident has absolutely nothing to do with the office of the presidency. He is a fool.

Dave Berryhill
07-24-09, 18:01
Not stirring shit but... Guilty till proven innocent, huh?
Apples and oranges. This discussion has, for the most part, been about whether the Sergeant made a valid arrest with or without race bias, which is quite a bit different than convicting the professor.

ZDL
07-24-09, 18:02

Mjolnir
07-24-09, 23:55
Black Sgt. on scene supports white Sgt. and gates arrest 100%

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-ap-us-harvard-scholar-arresting-officer,0,4731766.story

Whether or not he deserved to be arrested I'd expect solidarity amongst ALL officers in this case as it gives the police department and Boston a potential racial black eye. I saw his photo during the arrest front and center with Gates to the right.

I wasn't there so I cannot speak definitively about the case. I don't fully trust EITHER party's report(s) of the events and I think Obama could have been more politically astute with his words.

ZDL
07-25-09, 00:14

MaceWindu
07-25-09, 01:42
My comment was asking him why he felt the Sgt. would have been wrong to begin with.

It is very difficult if not impossible to take a measure of a man via a police report. The Sgt. stated that he knew an arrest of a Harvard prof. would draw unwanted attention. This ALONE told me that he did not want the situation to escalate. He knew either way this would not turn out well for him and he still performed his duty.

Mace

ZDL
07-25-09, 02:11

randyman_ar
07-25-09, 02:26

God I hate racists.

Amen! Amen! Amen!

OldNavyGuy
07-25-09, 08:31
http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/obama_parking_tickets/2009/07/23/239549.html

One reason Barack Obama may have been so critical of the Cambridge Police Department is that he might have a grudge against the law enforcement agency.

Obama, who attended Harvard Law School from 1988 to 1991, lived in Cambridge and apparently didn't like the fact he was frequently hit with parking tickets.

In all, Obama received 17 tickets for parking violations, and he did not pay 15 of them until a local newspaper exposed him as a scofflaw.

According to a 2007 Associated Press story, Obama was a parking ticket deadbeat for more than a decade — and felt the need to pay the 15 outstanding parking ticketsonly as his presidential campaign began in earnest in 2007.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=104935

According to the Somerville Times in 2007, as a Harvard Law School student, Obama got 17 parking tickets during 1989-1991 from the Cambridge Police Department that he left unpaid until just weeks before he announced his bid for the presidency.

"In other words, as a practicing lawyer in Chicago, he allowed these tickets and penalties to remain unpaid; as an Illinois state senator he allowed these tickets and fines to remain unpaid; and as a United States senator he allowed these almost-two-decade-old signs of his disdain for the law to remain unpaid," commented John LeBoutillier on Newsmax.com.

The Washington Post said two years ago that the tickets included parking without a proper permit and parking in a bus stop.

The Associated Press reported in 2007 that Obama's "healthy stack" of parking tickets was finally paid, including late fees, "two weeks before he officially launched his presidential campaign."

http://www.wickedlocal.com/cambridge/news/x639775456/Report-Obama-speaks-with-Sgt-Crowley

Crowley was drinking a Blue Moon beer when Obama invited Crowley and Gates, Jr. over to the White House for a beer and some conversation. State Sen. Anthony Galluccio first brought up the idea of Crowley and Gates getting together earlier this week.

ooooh, how wonderful that they can kiss and make up at the Whitehouse, in my OPINION this sux big time, if i were Crowley i would tell him to go douche with that beer !!

WGG
07-25-09, 11:19
Why can't Obama just act like a man and admit he was wrong? All his doublespeak doesn't fool anyone.

ZDL
07-25-09, 13:37

Luke_Y
07-26-09, 10:05
I'm going to go out on a limb:

1. The Cambridge police department has non-biased evidence of what went down here...evidence like audio and video recordings.

2. The Cambridge police department has reviewed this evidence.

3. The Cambridge police department has made their public statements based on the proof available in that evidence.

4. Barack Obama is, as usual, talking out of his ass...yet again coming down on the side of the person in the wrong.

5. The officer here is most likely in the right given 1,2, and 3....but he will be crucified in the media because when given a choice between asking hard questions of someone who makes a living from being a member of a permanent victim class, they will always take the more comfortable choice.

6. I sincerely hope every police officer and member of the military in the country is watching this episode VERY carefully. Obama went out of his way to throw a cop under a bus. That's what "community organizers" do.

Based on the apparent quick and straightforward support by the department admin, I would opine that it's highly likely that there is an audio recording of this incident. I so wish that they would release it.

ETA: Maybe he can play the recording while they are having a beer with the President... :)

9Y10C
07-26-09, 18:28
[QUOTE=OldNavyGuy;418224
..."In other words, as a practicing lawyer in Chicago, he allowed these tickets and penalties to remain unpaid; as an Illinois state senator he allowed these tickets and fines to remain unpaid; and as a United States senator he allowed these almost-two-decade-old signs of his disdain for the law to remain unpaid," commented John LeBoutillier on Newsmax.com...

[/QUOTE]

Well it goes without saying that they couldn't let all those unpaid tickets result in an arrest warrant/vehicle seizure. That would then be a racist act, wouldn't it? :D

Heavy Metal
07-26-09, 18:38
....and yet at least one LEO on this board still thinks he is the greatest thing since sliced bread because they voted for him and I highly doubt anything he does will change their mind:rolleyes:

Gates played a stupid game and insisted on being given his stupid prize.

mmike87
07-26-09, 19:56
I'd hope that my neighbors would do that for me - call the cops when it looks like someone is breaking in. Unfortunately, in my subdivision they'd probably just look the other way and cower in fear.

Mr. Gates doesn't know how lucky he was to have someone looking out for his property. He should live in my apathetic neighborhood and then maybe he'd appreciate people attempting to look out for his ass.

Artos
07-27-09, 11:28
...this deal is getting beyond stupid.

I had to turn off the tv when the city mgr. came out to say they were going to do some sort of report / analysis of how this came to be and keep from happening again. Does this situation REALLy need a comittee??:rolleyes:

If everyone involved would just shutup and quit feeding the media, we could get back to being pissed about healthcare and cap & tax.

what a waste of time and energy.

Safetyhit
07-27-09, 12:21
...this deal is getting beyond stupid.

I had to turn off the tv when the city mgr. came out to say they were going to do some sort of report / analysis of how this came to be and keep from happening again. Does this situation REALLy need a comittee??:rolleyes:

If everyone involved would just shutup and quit feeding the media, we could get back to being pissed about healthcare and cap & tax.

what a waste of time and energy.

Could not possibly agree more. All damage control in the guise of PC bullshit, and a lot of it. How about we acknowledge what happens when a belligerent, arrogant, racist asshole yells at the police when they are simply doing their job?

I am so sick of all this shit. The country is becoming a fu*king joke, and the president is nothing more than a poorly equipped circus ringleader.

Gramps
07-27-09, 13:42
The country is becoming a fu*king joke, and the president is nothing more than a poorly equipped circus ringleader.

I'm still wondering how/when the CLOWN got to become eligible to even become "The Ring Leader"?

IMO: He is a disgust to the "Clown" world/profession!

He's more like the "FREAK" for the rest of the weirdos to go look at! Welcome to the "BHO Freakin Circus"!

It was not about Race, it was all about someone (Well educated?) not being able to control their anger. HE is a disgrace to the University! They should not claim him. Maybe the Officer realized he couldn't have a battle of Witt's with an unarmed person.

rickrock305
07-27-09, 18:38
I trust you till you give me reason not to. Gates gave me reason not to when he dropped the race card as his only explanation for why he was being arrested. Couldn't possibly be because HE was doing something wrong.... No NEVER that. :rolleyes:

what exactly was he doing wrong?

ZDL
07-27-09, 18:39

Safetyhit
07-27-09, 18:41
what exactly was he doing wrong?

Please don't start with your nonsense again.

rickrock305
07-27-09, 18:44

God I hate racists.

thats not entirely true... you're ignoring the fact that the justice system is a lot harsher on black people than white people. an example, the crack cocaine vs. powder sentences.

rickrock305
07-27-09, 18:45
what was Gates doing wrong?

rickrock305
07-27-09, 18:46
Please don't start with your nonsense again.

am i not allowed to participate in the discussion? do i need your permission to post? :rolleyes:

ZDL
07-27-09, 18:49

parishioner
07-27-09, 18:54
what was Gates doing wrong?

His conduct while dealing with the police officers was not orderly. Therefore, he was charged with disorderly conduct. Would you like an explanation of the violation?

Artos
07-27-09, 19:04
simply...the man was pissed cuz he couldn't get in his house and when a concerned neighbor called 911 watching out for her 'own' - the police wanted to confirm his assertion that he was the owner of the said residence and got more pissed cuz he's an overeducated whitie hater.

Instead of complying with a law officer, he played the race card and then the potus got involved and now we're arguing over an arogant turd who should be thankful his neighbors don't want bad guys in house.

what is the problem....oh, the cop was stupid....right....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

rickrock305
07-27-09, 19:36
His conduct while dealing with the police officers was not orderly. Therefore, he was charged with disorderly conduct. Would you like an explanation of the violation?

ok, let me play devil's advocate...

we know this how? generally disorderly conduct is left up to the officers discretion right?

have you heard the tapes? i have, and I hear no yelling. and apparently Gates had some throat issue that would have prevented him from yelling, or so he says.

so, is it a case of the officer(s) just not liking what was said? do we not have first amendment rights?

Gates produced his ID, proving he was in fact the resident of the house. That should have been the end of the story right there. Hey, maybe he was in a bad mood and got a little sh*tty with the cop, thats not against the law is it? Gates was in his own home, and can act and say whatever he wants (within reason). If he wants to tell the officer to f*ck off, he's within his rights to do so. As long as he's not threatening to harm himself or others, or infringing on other's rights, he can say what he wants in his own home correct? Hence why the charges were dropped.

rickrock305
07-27-09, 19:39
Instead of complying with a law officer,

does one have to comply with an officer when you are acting fully within your designated civil rights, in this case freedom of speech?

if a police officer comes knocking on your door and demands you hand over your guns for confiscation, do you just comply without questioning it?

ZDL
07-27-09, 19:45

Artos
07-27-09, 20:59
does one have to comply with an officer when you are acting fully within your designated civil rights, in this case freedom of speech?

if a police officer comes knocking on your door and demands you hand over your guns for confiscation, do you just comply without questioning it?

...let's try and stay on topic Rock. No reason for you to bring in hypothetical situations to dig your hole further. We now know how the story came to be with the 911 call. Caller did not even know what race the two chaps were.

So, If I just broke into my own house and the cops came calling because of it (911 call from witness), then I think I owe it to them to prove it was my house since they came to protect my property, what say you?? Pretty logical reasoning now that we know the story.

Get real....you look foolish and the cop would have been wrong to not have proven this was the reason 911 sent him to the sceen. Your man was acting like a total ass. I also just watched some of his anti-whitie hate speaches. He has issues with white men in power and is the racist in this 'particular instance.'

Carry on as I'm sure there is no getting this through to you. Feel free to bring up another scenario that has nothing to do with the facts of this story.

Here's one: If you lock your keys in your car and the cops ask you what is going on while you have the coat hanger in the door, do they not have an obligation to prove you are not a thief??

The potus showed his biased before looking into the details as well....but yet, you still want the cops to be the bad guy on this 'particular scenario'....this is beyond reasoning. I guess you just like to debate.

rickrock305
07-27-09, 21:02
but Gates DID prove it was his house...:confused:

Artos
07-27-09, 21:17

sure did...only after the threat of being arrested. Those hadcuff's come with a built in bs detector. They can sometimes even make you sign a traffic violation.

I would have thanked leo for doing their job and showing id the moment they walked up?? Hell, I would have also aplogized and offered to buy them a beer sometime for wasting a call.

Witnesses baby....eye - witnesses.

Your guy obviously acted like and is a total jerk.

Safetyhit
07-27-09, 21:33
I guess you just like to debate.

No, not by any means. He just instigates.

ZDL
07-27-09, 21:36

9Y10C
07-28-09, 11:50

Rickrock-- ZDL and Artos have hit it right on the head, PERFECTLY. Conflict should be over... ;)

ZDL
07-28-09, 14:14

Irish
07-28-09, 14:23
http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2009/07/26/nr.comrade.in.arms.cnn

I really liked the lady's response referring to the POTUS, "I supported him, I voted for him, but I never will again..." :D

07-28-09, 14:25
irishluck-What's up with the constantly changing, hot avatars? Looks like you must be having some really good luck!:D

dbrowne1
07-28-09, 14:28
I really liked the lady's response referring to the POTUS, "I supported him, I voted for him, but I never will again..." :D

Here's hoping there's millions more like her by 2012...

Irish
07-28-09, 14:37
irishluck-What's up with the constantly changing, hot avatars? Looks like you must be having some really good luck!:D

Thanks! They're all pictures of my hot avatar wife :D I get bored so I switch them out and I'd definitely rather look at her when I'm searching for my last post on a thread than me shooting a gun or a cartoon kind of thing...

ZDL
07-28-09, 14:41

MSP "Sarge"
07-28-09, 17:21
Lets say a Police Officer answers the prowler/burglary call and arrives at the residence to find a person/s inside the residence who do not provide state/government issued identification. (GATES displayed a school identification card if I remember). The officer leaves without investigating further. Later in the shift it is learned that the resident who was at the house did in fact live there at the residence at one time but has just had a pertection order placed against him/her. Or a protection order does exist and that person he confronted earlier has violated the protection order. What would have been the out come then? He would have been called in for not doing his duty to protect and serve the public.

I can't believe that some people are so naive. That's what makes the world go around I guess.

A-Bear680
07-28-09, 20:13
Thanks! They're all pictures of my hot avatar wife :D I get bored so I switch them out and I'd definitely rather look at her when I'm searching for my last post on a thread than me shooting a gun or a cartoon kind of thing...

My compliment to the chef ... eh , husband ... for his excellent judgement in selecting and winning such a fine lady....

I am sure that the competition was fierce.

EzGoingKev
07-30-09, 15:47
Really? Were YOU there?

Mace

Haven't been around for a while, but no I was not there.

I have been there when the police responded to alarm going off at some property my family owns and all I ever had to do is explain who I was and show my ID and things were fine.

The funny thing with the police is that if you act like an adult, 99% of the time they will treat you like an adult.

John_Wayne777
07-30-09, 16:18
Haven't been around for a while, but no I was not there.

I have been there when the police responded to alarm going off at some property my family owns and all I ever had to do is explain who I was and show my ID and things were fine.

The funny thing with the police is that if you act like an adult, 99% of the time they will treat you like an adult.

Amazing how that works out, isn't it? ;)

ZDL
07-30-09, 18:17

Irish
07-30-09, 18:21
http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/5783/073009beersummit.jpg (http://img107.imageshack.us/i/073009beersummit.jpg/)

mskdgunman
07-30-09, 18:24
I've seen more people talk themselves into a trip to jail and this idiot is no different except that he's a professor. With all his education, the best he can come up with that he was arrested because he's black. Come on man, I've had dope dealers come up with more original excuses. Sometimes, the rich, educated ones are the worst no matter what color they are. They automatically think they are superior to you and that the law does not apply to them. Reality can be a bitch

ZDL
07-30-09, 21:11

MAUSER202
07-30-09, 21:16
Sgt. Crowley 2012 I'm just saying.

He handled REAL UNSCRIPTED questions from the media better than Obama does with his hand fed press boys.

http://www.breitbart.tv/cordial-and-productive-cambridge-police-sgt-crowley-says-no-one-apologized/

Great idea!

Mjolnir
08-04-09, 21:52
Oh, gawd... He's stuck his foot far too deep into his own mouth... :confused:

Mjolnir
08-04-09, 22:23
http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2009/08/04/author-of-racist-email-about-gates-sues-to-keep-his-job/

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2009/07/officer_suspend.html

How unfortunately ugly this thing has grown into. Boston has a "unique history" of race relations and this guy, with one e-mail, mind you, risks all in one internet tirade. I don't understand it. He could have left it alone... :confused:

Unfortunately, for him I think he kissed his LE career goodbye no matter his lawsuit.

Safetyhit
08-04-09, 22:34
[ I don't understand it. He could have left it alone.

Agreed, he is an idiot. Terrible.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with anything relevant to this situation.

Mjolnir
08-04-09, 22:55

You nor I can in NO WAY claim what you did in lieu of the revealed comments of his e-mail. That's what makes his comments all the more "damnable".

Can you accept his police report & claims in detail? I cannot. I don't think many can. He's given the Boston PD a black eye. And his actions further divide the population in the city. It's time to pull together as a nation. Ultimately, I still feel Obama should have deferred comment; as all here probably believe.

Patrick Aherne
08-04-09, 23:03
http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2009/08/04/author-of-racist-email-about-gates-sues-to-keep-his-job/

How unfortunately ugly this thing has grown into. Boston has a "unique history" of race relations and this guy, with one e-mail, mind you, risks all in one internet tirade. I don't understand it. He could have left it alone... :confused:

Unfortunately, for him I think he kissed his LE career goodbye no matter his lawsuit.

Is it really all that unfortunate? I think anyone so stupid and racist to resort to writing the email in question has no place in law enforcement.

Mjolnir
08-04-09, 23:12
Is it really all that unfortunate? I think anyone so stupid and racist to resort to writing the email in question has no place in law enforcement.
I see your perspective and I agree when looking at it that way. What I find unfortunate is that he gets tons of persons to side with him in support and then, "BAM!" He does the unthinkable: hang one's self with his own tongue. That's okay, too, but I don't take race baiting lightly as it exacerbates existing problems that everyone who is sane is trying to overcome. His behavior brings to the fore doubts in the minority communities (some real, some imaginary) and it's time to put this behind us. That's what I find "unfortunate."

Luke_Y
08-05-09, 21:25
Oh, gawd... He's stuck his foot far too deep into his own mouth... :confused:

... I don't understand it. He could have left it alone... :confused:

... Can you accept his police report & claims in detail? I cannot. ...

... What I find unfortunate is that he gets tons of persons to side with him in support and then, "BAM!" He does the unthinkable: hang one's self with his own tongue. ...

Mjolnir, I'm a bit confused by your posts. You do realize that Boston Police Officer Justin Barrett (who wrote the e-mail in the article you linked to), and Cambridge Police Sergeant James Crowley (who arrested Gates) are different people right???