PDA

View Full Version : Does the front sight post get in the way when using optics?

Redline
07-22-09, 23:35
Ok, I am new to M4s and red dot type sights so I apologize for what I'm sure will sound like a stupid question to most of you. I have seen a million pics in the last few weeks of m4s with a stock front sight setup and some type of optics on the rail. If I draw a straight line it looks more or less like the front sight or at least the front sight post would get in the way of the optics. Am I missing something? Is the optics mounted a little higher than the front sight but it's just not noticable to me? Are you guys removing the front sight post? Or are some of these optics supposed to be used in conjunction with the front sight post? I thought a red dot or similar setup would not require a front sight. I do see that some of these are setup on m4s that have a folding front sight.

Also, what do you see when you look through a red dot type sight? Is it like a scope with a reticle where you have to hold your head a certain distance and make sure you are looking through it vertically and horizontally correctly or the dot will shift on you the way a reticle does on a scope? I know, I sound like a total noob. I am not new to ARs and guns in general. Just that I always usually used fixed metal sights and sometimes a conventional scope.

Thanks,
Redline

bkb0000
07-22-09, 23:42
all of the above, to answer your questions.

some optic mounts set the scope above the FSB- these offer the best optical clarity, but sacrifice a good cheek weld, as you have to hold your face up higher on the stock. you usually end up with more of a "chin weld."

keeping the weapon at a close co-witness generally works fine, it just gets a little hazy. the lower the power of the optic- be it a fixed power or adjustable- the more haze you get.

with the RDSs, you can do an "absolute cowitness," which puts the dot right on your FSP, or the more common "lower 1/3rd cowitness," which sets the RDS up higher and brings the dot above the irons.

Vendetta
07-22-09, 23:45
bkb beat me to it, I was trying to find this (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6709) thread.

txdukklr
07-23-09, 14:42
i'm not an expert but i have my fixed front sight and flip up back set up lower 1/3.

on a bench i thought i cowitnessed by lining all three up which i can do.

merge
07-23-09, 15:41
You can use a RDS with the iron sights up without a problem. Generally speaking, you can only focus on one thing at a time, so your eye pretty much ignores the iron sight. I have the folding sights but leave them up as I figure if I ever need them due to the RDS going out, I may not have the time to flip them up. I use the large rear aperture and it works fine. Like some of the others have said, my front sight post is co-witnessed with the dot.

bkb0000
07-23-09, 16:04
You can use a RDS with the iron sights up without a problem. Generally speaking, you can only focus on one thing at a time, so your eye pretty much ignores the iron sight. I have the folding sights but leave them up as I figure if I ever need them due to the RDS going out, I may not have the time to flip them up. I use the large rear aperture and it works fine. Like some of the others have said, my front sight post is co-witnessed with the dot.

this is why i just run fixed irons co-witnessed to the RDS. the only flip up i own is under the scope on my SPR.

number9xd
07-23-09, 17:19
So when ever I end up getting an Aimpoint T1 or H1 should I get the high or low Larue mount to have a co-witness setup?

rychencop
07-23-09, 19:16
i have a troy folding buis and standard f front along with my eotech 512 on a gg&g mount. perfect co-witnessing and the front sight does not affect the use of the 512 at all. perfect alignment and i'm very happy with the setup.

panzerr
07-23-09, 19:43
What they said -a front sight post won't interfere with an optic

In fact, you can put a lens cover on the front of an aimpoint and still use it.

snellkid
07-23-09, 21:12
My A2 post is visible through my Aimpoint M4s, low cowitness, when I'm sighting on a target, all I'm concentrating on is the Target and the Red dot and don't notice the front sight post.

geminidglocker
07-23-09, 21:26
Yes, it does.

biophase
07-25-09, 03:07
I have DD M4 and I found that I like the sights higher so I just got a riser rail and mounted my optics onto it. If I didn't, the sights would be in the way.

RyanB
07-25-09, 06:54
ACOG, no, but if the lens is right behind the fsb, as would be the case if I moved my swaro Z6 to a middy with an fsb, then there is a problem.

matthewdanger
07-25-09, 07:07
Does the front sight post get in the way when using optics?

They get in the way using optics no more than they do when you are using the irons. ;)

It is usually a non-issue.