PDA

View Full Version : Case Failure(pics)

HotRod9mm
01-27-07, 09:09
Ok, first off I'm not posting this so it will become a Sig bashing thread, as most know that have seen any of my post I'm basically a Glock guy. I'm just posting to show it can happen to any firearm. This also shows that polymer receivers are very user friendly. The owner while shooting yesterday(1/26) at the local indoor range had a case fail, the bulk of the pressure swelled the mag well forcing the mag out. Despite the cracked/broken receiver the shooter only had a little spent powder on both hands. The gun only had about 250rds down the pipe that the owner purchased at the range.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/hotrod9mm/SigPro-40.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/hotrod9mm/SigPro-40-Close-1a.jpg

Case embeded in the mag well
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/hotrod9mm/SigPro-40-Magwell-2a.jpg

Robb Jensen
01-27-07, 09:13
Interesing, it reads store bought ammo. Was this reloads (commerical not private) or factory new ammo.

HotRod9mm
01-27-07, 09:38
Interesing, it reads store bought ammo. Was this reloads (commerical not private) or factory new ammo.

I'm not positive because I always bring my own. It MIGHT be commerical reloads. The range was closing when this happened so time was real limited. If/when I get more info I will post it.

:cool:

jmart
01-27-07, 09:55
Does the range insist on new manufactured ammo or can you bring your own reloads? I saw you said you normally bring your own, just wondering what restrictions exist?

Also noticed it's a .40 S&W. Glocks don't have really good case support, not sure about Sigs. But it sure looks like the case blew out at the casehead.

HotRod9mm
01-27-07, 10:07
Does the range insist on new manufactured ammo or can you bring your own reloads?

I don't shoot their much because I'm not a member(I just go to see the gunsmith), but I bring WWB from a crossed the street to test fire only and most of the time the gunsmith does that just so I don't get hassled.

mark5pt56
01-27-07, 11:06
Those burn marks on the case head, especially around the primer pocket makes you wonder about a hot hand load and/or even a reamed primer pocket.

I don't know much about the Sig 2340's ramp and chamber area to comment on that.

I have seen a Sig 229(.357sig) barrel that someone decided that Sig didn't know how to make that area properly and did it themselves--they had to buy a new gun after a similiar thing happen.

Greenbean
01-29-07, 08:47
So in a case like this, would SigArms ask you to send in the failed case as well as the actual firearm to "investigate?"

I am just curious. Thanks...

I don't re-load at all.

M4arc
01-29-07, 08:49
Federal ammo?

I see pattern here...

HotRod9mm
01-29-07, 09:21
I just found out that the range ammo is commercially reloaded. Not good for the owner of the gun and I doubt the range owner will replace it. I will keep you posted as I get more info.

HotRod9mm
01-29-07, 09:23
Federal ammo?

I see pattern here...

Yes, Federal has had a problem with a thing called "Q" control...

Hawkeye
01-29-07, 09:26
Maybe I am wrong, but it sure seems to me that most of the KBs I see, regardless of the brand of gun, are .40's.

HotRod9mm
01-29-07, 09:55
Maybe I am wrong, but it sure seems to me that most of the KBs I see, regardless of the brand of gun, are .40's.

Popular caliber and I have/seen pics of 9mm, 10mm, 45ACP. Anything can kb.

Hawkeye
01-29-07, 10:03
I too have seen examples of all the usual calibers KB. Not disputing that. It just seems I have seen more .40's than any other caliber though.

MAP
01-29-07, 13:51

Our PD has been shooting Federal ammo for over 12 years. Never had a problem with QC. We recently put over 50K of Federal .40 through our new Sigs with no ammunition problems.

Mike

Batt 57
01-29-07, 14:16
I just found out that the range ammo is commercially reloaded. Not good for the owner of the gun and I doubt the range owner will replace it. I will keep you posted as I get more info.

This is interesting. Here in Palm Beach County you are not allowed to shoot your own ammo. The ranges all cite that it is due to insurance reasons but the truth is is that they are attempting to curtail the flow of Wally World White Box.

I wonder if our ranges would be required to pay for damage as this since they require you purchase their ammo. Hmmm???

Greenbean
01-29-07, 14:38
The ranges all cite that it is due to insurance reasons but the truth is is that they are attempting to curtail the flow of Wally World White Box.

Here in Western NC it's going to be b/c of the Blazer Brass...
Which is Speer right and isn't Speer a part of Federal. I don't know.

What I do know it is sucks that this guy might be out a new Sig.

HotRod9mm
02-01-07, 23:55
Well good news. SIG replaced the Pro with a P226R Equinox no questions asked. The owner had it 2 days after he sent his back. That is good customer service.

TOrrock
02-02-07, 09:04
Good to know they took care of him, sounds like they REALLY took care of him.

As an aside, I've seen more "issues" with failed cases in .40 than others as well.....high pressure cartridge without a lot of wiggle room if something goes wrong.

Business_Casual
02-02-07, 09:40

The only pistol case I've had let go was a Federal 45 ACP EFMJ round in my Wilson CQB. Blew the mag out and the grips off. Good thing I wear gloves.

M_P

LOKNLOD
02-02-07, 10:57
Well good news. SIG replaced the Pro with a P226R Equinox no questions asked. The owner had it 2 days after he sent his back. That is good customer service.

Wow, that's great of them. Do they no longer offer the Pro models? I went to look up the Equinox (very nice) and noticed the Pros are on there. I used to kind of want a Pro, they had a good feel in the hand to me.