PDA

View Full Version : Magpul FMG9 / Artillery Luger

Furry Jello
07-24-09, 11:23
I was looking at the Magpul FMG9 again. I was wondering if it was ever available to the civilian market what would it take to own one?

Lets consider you already have the Glock slide and barrel.
I would assume you would just need to register it as an SBR.

Then that got me thinking about the Artillery Luger. Since it has a detachable stock is it considered an NFA item?

scottryan
07-24-09, 12:12
Lets consider you already have the Glock slide and barrel.
I would assume you would just need to register it as an SBR.

Yes

Then that got me thinking about the Artillery Luger. Since it has a detachable stock is it considered an NFA item?

It depends. Some early pistols with shoulder stocks are exempt from the NFA. Some Colt SAA, Mauser broomhandles, and some early Hi powers with the matching shoulder stock are exempt. You need a copy of the ATF C&R book to figure out if your exact piece is exempt or not.

Furry Jello
07-24-09, 13:56
Thanks for the info.

TY44934
07-27-09, 11:46
That agrees with what I found.

IIRC, the former ATF once ruled that C&R handguns originally desiged to accept a detachable butstock could have that stock attached & would fall outside the NFA rules on SBRs.

But then, a flood of Broomhandle mausers were imported, followed by cheap reproduction butt stocks from China.

I believe the current ruling from BATFE is that both the gun AND the buttstock must be original.

I asked because I have a 1941 Husqvarna 9mm that is C&R and was originally built to accept a buttstock.

Anyone know where I can find and original Swedish buttstock for it? :confused::(

Oh well.