PDA

View Full Version : SA58 New aquisition

Zhurdan
07-24-09, 15:54
Alright, so I was down at the local pawn shop when out of the corner of my eye, I spy a brand spanking new DSA Para-SA58. Now, I already have a regular SA-58, a para would be a nice addition. I migrated down the counter and asked if I could put my grubby hands on it. And as they say... The rest is history!

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r127/Zhurdan/DSA.jpg

I'm gonna run home, clean her up and take it out for a spin. I'll try and get some pics of it up tomorrow (stock picture above)

TOrrock
07-24-09, 16:33
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Funny%20stuff/thumbs_up.gif

I think you'll be very happy with the SA58 Para.

I'm moving this from Beyond 5.56 to the Other Systems forum.

Zhurdan
07-27-09, 22:39
Well, here it is. I cleaned her up, took it out and put 140 rounds thru it and decided it was picture time.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r127/Zhurdan/FNFALPARA2.jpg
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r127/Zhurdan/FNFALPARA.jpg

Shoots great, a little more felt recoil than the standard model. Everything ran pretty smooth, until I got it home of course. I decided to detail it out a bit and took the top cover off. Getting those 5 little rails back in there was a pain in the butt! Lesson learned. It's a little front end heavy with that rail, but manageable. I'm not quite sure what I'll put on it for optics, or even if I want to at all. I like the irons on it.

mark5pt56
07-28-09, 06:49
Looks nice. If all you are going to do with the front is a light, I would sell the rail and use a short rail to the stock HG's. I would like to see a slide on dust cover for a dot.

Watch the Oakley's on that stock mechanism!

Zhurdan
09-30-09, 11:58
Well, it looks like my new rifle will be going back to DSA for warranty work. Part of the bolt just below the extractor decided that it wanted to take a vacation. I was firing the gun, slow fire, and after about the 4th shot out of the magazine, it locked up tighter than a drum. Bolt back with no movement possible when using the charging handle. I got home, took it apart (had to start removing the dust cover as the bolt was in the rearward position and the upper wouldn't separate. A wiggle, a jiggle, and I finally got it apart. The vacationing piece fell out onto the table. it appears to be some sort of metal fatigue fracture. I'll try and get some pics up of it later this afternoon. So, being that the bolt is headspaced to the rifle, I have to send the whole damn rifle back in for work. Too bad too, because I just got a whole slew of .308 in for it. They did say it would only be about a 2-3 week turn around. I guess it happens, but this is the first weapon I've ever had to send in for warranty work in over two decades.

Anyone else ever have issues with FAL bolts?

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r127/Zhurdan/IMG_0440.jpg

Zhurdan
09-30-09, 14:27
bump for photo.

Gutshot John
09-30-09, 14:38
Assuming everything was assembly/headspaced properly it looks like a bad bolt or batch that was improperly heat treated.

I've never seen or heard of that happening but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

FAL bolts/carriers are pretty notorious for being pretty rugged.

gunadict
10-03-09, 08:25
If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for it at the pawn shop? I have 3 SA58's myself.

VooDoo6Actual
10-03-09, 10:29
nice blaster.

Safetyhit
10-04-09, 10:48
Alright, so I was down at the local pawn shop...

Must be some pawn shop. I could see a few .32's and a 9mm, but that?

Not around here, anyway.

Zhurdan
10-04-09, 16:49
If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for it at the pawn shop? I have 3 SA58's myself.

$2000 including taxes. I've bought quite a bit from this guy and he kept telling people that it was sold because he knew I'd be in. I hadn't seen them online for cheaper than $2300. Apparently it was a special order and returning it would have been more of a hassle, so he gave me a deal. I'm happy with the price, as long as it runs when I get it back.

Zhurdan
10-04-09, 16:52
Must be some pawn shop. I could see a few .32's and a 9mm, but that?

Not around here, anyway.

Around here, "Pawn Shop" is equivalent to "gun store". They do pawn because it makes them hoards of money, but they maintain a gun wall because they can. Unfortunately for some people, they make money two times off many of the guns they sell. Once when a person buys it, and again when they pawn it because of the seasonal work around here. (oil/gas fields) It's kind of a racket, but I come across some really great deals (I don't work out in the fields).

gunadict
10-04-09, 16:59
I came across a similar deal. I got the DSA SA58 in the middle off of gunbroker for $1200 new, and the same guy sold me the camo wrapped SA58 with less than 100rds through it for $1600. The camo one has a match trigger and factory duracoat. The DSA OSW on top I ordered directly from the factory.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/fellony/DSAx3.jpg

Safetyhit
10-04-09, 17:58
The OSW is superb. Beautiful gun.

foxjordan22
10-04-09, 18:30
never a problem with mine. i know you said u already have one and most likely know about the gas setting, but what number gas setting did you have it on? with most ammo im around 5.

Zhurdan
10-05-09, 09:07
I ran it full open, one round at a time to where it would catch the mag hold open reliably before I started really shooting it. It wasn't beating the piss out of it by any means. I had a friend look at it and he said some fancy words (metalurgist) and said "Yup, it looks like a weak spot". He's a pretty smart guy. Hopefully DSA comes up with the same verdict and fixes it for free.

foxjordan22
10-05-09, 19:16
well then im sure DSA will take care of you and mabey throw in some extras for your hassle. mabey dura coat it camo for you, or give you some of those 30 round mags they have been hiding.:D

gunadict
10-05-09, 20:43
Dsa has started shipping their new manufactured magazines. The 20 rd mags are in peoples hands, the 25rd and 30rd are supposed to be shipping soon.