PDA

View Full Version : Texas may so "no" to socialized healthcare

ZDL
07-24-09, 18:10

SeriousStudent
07-24-09, 18:17
"Texas has a higher percentage of uninsured people than any other state, with 1 in 4 Texans lacking health coverage."

I will bet a large pile of money that a substantial portion of those are illegal aliens, as well.

austinN4
07-24-09, 20:29
"Texas has a higher percentage of uninsured people than any other state, with 1 in 4 Texans lacking health coverage."

I will bet a large pile of money that a substantial portion of those are illegal aliens, as well.
I share your feeling, and I am opposed to Obama Care, but the reality is that the uninsured, whoever they might be, simply clog our emergency rooms with things that should be handled by a family doctor and we still end up paying for it one way or another because they can't or don't.

Palmguy
07-24-09, 21:39
I share your feeling, and I am opposed to Obama Care, but the reality is that the uninsured, whoever they might be, simply clog our emergency rooms with things that should be handled by a family doctor and we still end up paying for it one way or another because they can't or don't.

Sounds like a damn good reason to actually enforce our border and deport illegal aliens.

MAUSER202
07-24-09, 21:58
Sounds like a damn good reason to actually enforce our border and deport illegal aliens.

BIG PLUS 1!

boltcatch
07-24-09, 22:30
It's my understanding that the authors of the bill are trying to foist a lot of the costs of the program off onto the states themselves, so it's not like the Governor can reasonably adopt any other position other than "hell no".

Especially with the illegals situation ... some of the pro-illegal lobbyists are working hard to try and keep the issue from coming up, even to the point of coming up with euphamisms to sell programs that don't actually check citizenship before showering our tax dollars on people. Terms like "streamlining" translate into "hey lets not check their citizenship".

People in this country are not heartless - and neither are hospitals, ED's, and healthcare workers. I've worked enough in ED's to see what goes on there, and I have a number of friends who are alive today because hospitals decided to foot the bill for emergency operations.

However there is a difference between doing the right thing and simply being taken advantage of. At some point you have to tell people NO. The root problem here is that we have millions of people who simply do not want to work. No one has a "right" to a free ride out of our wallets.

SHIVAN
07-24-09, 22:33
Don't be silly!! The FedGov will threaten to pull federal DOT funding, or some other FedGov "match funds", from Texas if Texas does not go along with the plan.

ljlinson1206
07-24-09, 22:33
I am NOT a Perry supporter, but if he keeps up the attitude of States Rights above Federal Govt., he may gain a vote next election. I just wish he would do something about the border. I have Trooper friends that go down there from time to time and they say it's like the old west. Anyway, we'll save that for another thread!

God I love My State!!!!!!!!:D

TAZ
07-24-09, 23:07
Not a huge Perry supporter, but he seemed like a straight forward guy when I bumped into him at McBrides Guns. Didnt even notice who he was. He was very polite and moved out of my way so I could see in the case by where he was standing filling out his 4473. It wasnt till I got my drooling over and done with that I noticed I was standing next to a guy who looked a lot like Perry. He has done a decent job of keeping my vote with his stand against bail out $$ and now his stance against Obama Care. I hope he can make the stand stick.

As far as the Feds threatening to withold some funding or another. Most fed mandates cost more in the long run then the funding they give out. Chances are that if the feds do decide to withold funds the sates would have more reason to shed fed mandated programs. If they can shed enough mandates they may come out ahead in the long run.

boltcatch
07-24-09, 23:21
Don't be silly!! The FedGov will threaten to pull federal DOT funding, or some other FedGov "match funds", from Texas if Texas does not go along with the plan.

Of course they will, but that doesn't take away from the necessity of telling Washington to go pound sand. This crap needs to stop.

CALSHOOTER
07-25-09, 21:13
This plan would put a large cost portion on the states after a certain period of time, the rich would be taxed even more (never had a job from a poor person) you can't change your private plan as you will then be forced onto the government plan. There is just so much wrong with this bill it makes me ill. Fight the good fight Gov. Perry.

tmckay2
07-26-09, 00:38
i think people have forgotten what the united STATES really is. i think its great texas has been threatening secession and everything because thats the power the states are supposed to have over the federal government. otherwise, the feds could just tell the states everything they want them to do (which in many cases they already do)

Nathan_Bell
07-26-09, 10:11

I have a gut feeling that in a budgetry sense the loss of the DOT funds would hurt less than being forced to match the Fed spending on Obama Care.

Lose $3 B in US DOT road funding but not get saddled with $5 B of healtch care fund matching expenses type thing.