PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about OPS Inc. Suppressors

Mr.Goodtimes
07-25-09, 18:01
I dont see much about these suppressors on here? I'm thinking about going with an OPS can for my first suppressor, probably the 12th model. I may go with the 15th model to save on length a little bit.

So whats the down low on these suppressors? Any reason I dont see much about them? I see a lot of AAC, Surefire, and Gemtech stuff but not much OPS love. Would this be a good suppressor or would i be better served with something like an M4 1000 or 2k. Possibly a Surefire can? im not to excited about Surefires 1 year warranty, however. If im shelling out over 1 grand for a suppressor I would like to see more than a 1 year warranty.

MisterWilson
07-25-09, 18:28
They don't advertise much because they don't have to. ;)

They also generally tend to stay away from the online mudslinging that some other companies seem to involve themselves with...

Voodoochild
07-25-09, 18:28
OPS is very good stuff you cant go wrong.

Mr.Goodtimes
07-25-09, 19:37
OPS sounds like the way to go! would yall go with the 12th model or the 15th? This will be going on a 10.5 SBR and a 16in gun as well.

RyanB
07-25-09, 20:27
14th.

Mr.Goodtimes
07-25-09, 20:36
i dont see a 14th listed on their web site, do they still make it?

the_accuser
07-25-09, 22:05
Definitely the 14th. Check out ADCO Firearms for the 14th. I have the 12th, 14th, 15th and 16th models. I cannot tell a difference in sound suppression between the 14th and 15th models yet the 14th is slighter shorter and a little lighter. The 12th and 16th models are longer and heavier but suppress a lot better that the 14th and 15th models. Here is a picture of the models starting on the left: 14th, 15th 16th and 12th
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/the_accuser/ops12456-1.jpg

rob_s
07-25-09, 22:07
I have a 15th. It's ok, but I wouldn't buy it again if I was buying a 5.56 can today.

boltcatch
07-26-09, 19:34
I have a 15th. It's ok, but I wouldn't buy it again if I was buying a 5.56 can today.

I have one as well. I have no complaints with it, and have no doubt that it will outlast me, but if I were to do it again I'd just get a HALO and be done with it.

Mr.Goodtimes
07-28-09, 19:39
what are some of the things you people dont like about the OPS cans?

boltcatch
07-28-09, 20:50
It isn't so much that there are bad things about the Ops cans, as there are nice additional features or other considerations on some others.

Getting a barrel with the appropriate profile for mounting the collar can sometimes be a pain in the ass. There is a smaller instant-gratification factor than with some other cans where, assuming you have a good quality barrel with concentric threads, you simply need to toss on the appropriate QD brake/flash hider.

If for example I had a HALO instead, it would greatly simplify mounting my suppressor to my other AR's.

I'm happy with the performance of the one I do have - no POI shift complaints. The only POI shift I've seen out of my 15th model is when I'm using a barrel thin enough to have a noticable deflection downward just due to the weight of the suppressor. On a previous, stiffer barrel, there was no measurable shift. It is also nice to have a slightly smaller overall length and better weapon balance than using a comparable suppressor from some other manufacturers.

Now, if I was putting together a precision SPR-ish upper, I would have no problem buying a 12th model for it. That is an application where I would not be buying it to swap it all over the place.

crossgun
07-28-09, 21:06
I have a 15th. Of all the cans on the market I believe the OPS index and register better than most because of the alignment collar and yes they are a PIA at times to get to work with some barrels. I just had six collars made with undersized IDs so I can have them fit to whatever barrel I like in the future.

They may not be the prettiest ones or the best marketed but they are really good suppressors.

Hootiewho
08-02-09, 13:32
If I was going to set up a rifle for Suppressed only use, I would roll with the Ops.

FWIW, I have met and picked the brains of a lot of guys in the Spec Ops community at training classes in the past few years. On the topic of suppressors, I have heard the Ops name recommended more than any other brand.

rob_s
08-02-09, 14:30
FWIW, I have met and picked the brains of a lot of guys in the Spec Ops community at training classes in the past few years. On the topic of suppressors, I have heard the Ops name recommended more than any other brand.

Not to take ANYTHING away from those guys, but quite a few professional shooters are limited in what they can use or are exposed to. While their opinion that the Ops isn't crap is valuable, and they are potentially in a good position to talk abut longevity and such, that opinion can be very limited.

DocGKR
08-02-09, 16:10
The OPS Inc cans we have used have worked well and have been very durable; the Surefire and Gemtech ones have also been great.

Derek_Connor
08-02-09, 17:49
I've put alot of rounds through (and have owned) the 14th, 15th, 12th, and 3rd Model cans over several carbine courses, private sessions, etc. For the 5.56 cans, I've done all of them full auto on multiple platforms and several magazines.

With the 3rd Model, I only have experience on the AI-AW platform.

All perform, and perform extremely well with suppression, recoil management, and POI/POA.

08-02-09, 18:19
DocGKR- What is your favorite as in what would you rely upon with $$$/durability/effectiveness as qualifiers? What is your favorite when reliability and effectiveness are the only qualifiers?

Hootiewho
08-02-09, 19:14
Not to take ANYTHING away from those guys, but quite a few professional shooters are limited in what they can use or are exposed to. While their opinion that the Ops isn't crap is valuable, and they are potentially in a good position to talk abut longevity and such, that opinion can be very limited.

Actually, several of the guys I was speaking of were impressed enough to spend their own money on Ops suppressors outside of government work, and they knowed enough about other brands to point out pro's/con's of about every major manufacturer out there today.

rob_s
08-02-09, 19:42
Actually, several of the guys I was speaking of were impressed enough to spend their own money on Ops suppressors outside of government work, and they knowed enough about other brands to point out pro's/con's of about every major manufacturer out there today.

Based on professional experience or what?

Hootiewho
08-02-09, 20:13
Based on professional experience or what?

I would imagine a combination of both. If one of the formentioned men used a Ops can in the Navy along with a NT4 and since he was pretty far up the food chain, involved in the Sniper Community had a good bit of experience with the Surefire units when Crane started to get them in; then personally owned an Ops, Surefire, and AAC, I would say that he probably has a good idea of what each of those brands will do.

9mmkungfu
08-24-09, 15:41
Ops is lifetime too. Ops also warranties their cans regardless of barrel length.

IPSC_GUY
10-04-10, 02:34
For those out there that have owned both a 15th Model and a 12th Model, would putting a 15th model on an SPR build to save a bit of weight and length be inadvisable?

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Magic_Salad0892
10-04-10, 03:46
Favorite Suppressors made in this order:

1 - KAC QDSS-NT4
2 - Surefire FA556212 (Formerly known as FA556K)
3 - Ops Inc. 14th Model

Having also owned AAC, and a GemTech, because when I turned 21 I wasted all of my savings on NFA items. D:

the_accuser
10-04-10, 12:21
For those out there that have owned both a 15th Model and a 12th Model, would putting a 15th model on an SPR build to save a bit of weight and length be inadvisable?

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

That is totally up to you. If you are going for a SPR clone look then you will want the 12th. There is a big difference in suppression levels between the 12th and 15th. If you do decide on the 15th you may actually want to get the 14th. It is a tad bit smaller/lighter than the 15th yet I cannot tell a difference in suppression levels. Warning..one leads to two which leads to this...(L to R: 12th, 16th, 15th, 14th and M4-S).

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/the_accuser/opsf1.jpg

IPSC_GUY
10-04-10, 16:58
How much of a reduction difference between the 12th and the 15th. Do you per chance have a DB meter you could measure? i am sure there are a number of us that are interested.

I am not worried about being exactly replicating the SPR look. I am however going to pack this thing over hill and dale and weight counts. If I could find a custom suppressor maker that would make me one out of Titanium that fir the OPS collar I would do it.

Thanks,

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

P.S. the M4s what kind of reduction is that providing and I toally understand about 1 leading to 2... some day I will post all of my Night Vision...

the_accuser
10-04-10, 18:57
Unfortunately, I don't have any numbers on sound reduction nor do I have any equipment to measure them. I am going to try early next year to get some numbers...I too am interested.

With the 12th model I can shoot without hearing protection and it doesn't bother me no matter how many rounds I shoot. With the 15th I prefer to have some type of hearing protection if I was going to shoot more than a couple of mags.

I can understand wanting something light especially if you have to lug a ton for an extended period of time...I would go the 14th/15th route in that case. I have asked about a titanium model and it ain't goin' happen. You could possibly get ask Liberty Suppressors if they could build a titanium model for you.

The M4-S only takes the bark of the brake. It is very light and works very well for SBR setups. Here is my 10.5 LMT MRP with the M4-S. Nice light setup.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/the_accuser/mrpcqb2.jpg

rob_s
10-04-10, 20:18
accuser, IIRC the M4S mounts the same as the 15th, no? I have my 15th on an 11.5" barrel and thought that was the shortest I could get away with. What do you have in the way of a gasblock on that carbine and did you have to cut the rail or anything?

sandsunsurf
10-04-10, 21:30
I've shot my Gemtech M4-02 right before my friend shot his unknown version of an Ops Inc (different locations). They are both quiet enough to shoot without ear protection, with the sound signature being different: the Ops Inc was a higher pitched crack, the Gemtech more of a whistle.

Looking at it, it seemed well built, but whatever model he has won't work on a 10.5" upper because there's not enough room between the flash hider and the front sight base to mount the Ops Inc.

I would choose (actually, I did) a Surefire FA556-212 over the Ops Inc. For some reason I just can't get into the Ops Inc cans. I also ordered two YHM cans- a Stainless Phantom 5.56 and Stainless 7.62, just for grins to compare (they're cheap).

the_accuser
10-05-10, 06:49
accuser, IIRC the M4S mounts the same as the 15th, no? I have my 15th on an 11.5" barrel and thought that was the shortest I could get away with. What do you have in the way of a gasblock on that carbine and did you have to cut the rail or anything?

Yep, the M4-S mounts the same as the 15th. Since your 11.5" already works with the 15th it should also work as is with the M4-S, 14th and 16th models.

The barrel is the factory 10.5" LMT MRP...they have low profile gas glocks on them. I didn't cut any of the rail. What I did do and here is a couple of pictures, I had ADCO install the Ops adapter to the end of the barrel then the brake screwed onto the adapter. Yes I know it is now really more like 11.5+" but underneath the covers is still the factory 10.5" barrel. It is hard to see in the pics but the lip of the Ops adapter sits just outside the rail. When I put on any of the cans above there is actually a tiny gap between the back of the can and the rail but from pics of the setup you cannot see it.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/the_accuser/mrpcqb1.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/the_accuser/adapter.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/the_accuser/dsbr1.jpg

the_accuser
10-05-10, 06:56
Looking at it, it seemed well built, but whatever model he has won't work on a 10.5" upper because there's not enough room between the flash hider and the front sight base to mount the Ops Inc.

sandsunsurf,

Have your friend check out the Ops Adapter (http://www.adcofirearms.com/acc/productLine_.cfm?brand=OPS%20INC&product_category=Silencers) ADCO Firearms sells. This should allow him to use his Ops can on his 10.5" upper if he is interested in doing so.

IPSC_GUY
10-05-10, 09:30
I really like the idea of the Ops Inc. mounting back over the barrel for some reason. It strikes me as ultra secure. Then again I LOVE the idea of the Finish Reflex suppressors. I know they supposedly don't suppress as well as they should, but I have some ideas about how to fix that... time for a form 1 can of my own design. however for this I am still flipping the coin on which model of OPS to go with.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

rob_s
10-05-10, 09:47
Accuser, thanks, that extender is what I thought might be happening.

TehLlama
10-05-10, 19:31
Correct Rob - mine is a 10.5" without the extender, and it's recessed almost a whole inch behind a 9.0 VTAC Extreme rail. I know I should have just gone with an 11.5", but this means I could stuff a M4S equipped rifle in my laptop case.

the_accuser
10-05-10, 21:38
I know I should have just gone with an 11.5", but this means I could stuff a M4S equipped rifle in my laptop case.

Now that is kick ass...any pics?

Jason