PDA

View Full Version : the dreaded barrel nut

tmckay2
07-26-09, 00:45
im trying to take my barrel nut off for the first time. man i have really cranked on that thing. put it in some clamps, used some pb blaster, put it in the freezer for a bit to shrink the aluminum, each time its the same, nada. i have the dpms wrench and all. anyone have any other suggestions? oh and i did try a hair dryer for a few minutes too. i can't get the blasted thing off!

stevenhyde
07-26-09, 02:46
did you try a piece of pipe on the wrench to extend it. commonly known as a breaker bar or a leverage bar?
oh. make sure if you use a breaker bar to use your other hand to make sure the wrench stays tight on and aligned on the barrel nut.

im trying to take my barrel nut off for the first time. man i have really cranked on that thing. put it in some clamps, used some pb blaster, put it in the freezer for a bit to shrink the aluminum, each time its the same, nada. i have the dpms wrench and all. anyone have any other suggestions? oh and i did try a hair dryer for a few minutes too. i can't get the blasted thing off!

tmckay2
07-26-09, 02:57
i haven't tried that, but the main problem isn't the force so much as the clamping, if i really get going on it it puts so much force that it literally lifts the clamps off. im not sure if heavier clamps would work or what

faawrenchbndr
07-26-09, 04:17
Please get the proper action block that you place in a bench vise.
It will make the job easier, AND, you will not risk cracking or deforming
your lower receiver. MidwayUSA, Brownells, Bravo Company, DPMS,.....
Many places carry the proper tool.

Mr.Goodtimes
07-26-09, 04:19
you need an action block.

Quib
07-26-09, 08:34
you need an action block.

I agree.

OP, I collected these quotes through another source, but scroll through them for a second. They all deal with firsthand accounts of what can happen if you do not use the proper tools.

I just had to buy a new upper because I used the blocks of wood to remove a barrel and cracked the receiver. Buy the right tools! There cheap compare to replacing parts.

Posted :: Yesterday 8:17:20 PM MDT

I am trying to remove the barrel from my Bushy so I can install my nifty new DD rail. Got the FSB and SureFire muzzle brake off okay. Using the DPMS armorers tool, all I have accomplished so far is to destroy the receiver itself. No, I wasn't using the Claw. Yes I have one on order along with my new stripped receiver.

I had the flattop upper clamped firmly sideways in a vice w/Delrin jaws. Put some muscle on it, heard a pop and thought great, it broke loose. It broke alright. Cracked the receiver right below the ejection port. So I soaked it it penetrating oil overnight while I mourned my lost receiver and berated myself for my cheapness for not buying the proper tools to start.

Today, I clamped the receiver in the vice again. Already broken, can't hurt it now right? I even took the padded jaws out so the steel could bite into the aluminum. Put the arm on it again. Popped the receiver right out of the vice and skinned a knuckle or two. More swearing. Wife and kids heard me upstairs. Now my 3 year old son is running around saying "son of a bealpole!" at the top of his lungs. Or something like that.

Somebody help me! I'm not willing to give up on the barrel too!

Posted :: 10/5/2008 5:44:11 PM MDT

BUY YOUR OWN UPPER BLOCK!!!

That is the best advice I can possibly give, it will be the most useful $40 you ever spend. I decided to craft my own upper block out of some thick sturdy wood and paid the price by scratching the shit out of my upper and skinning my knuckles pretty badly.

Posted: Today 12:07:41 PM MST

During my first build I managed to tweak my Rock River flat top upper ever so slightly so that the bolt will seat when forced, but normally not on its own. There is no apparent visible damage, but I know the receiver is out of true because of the issue with the bolt not wanting to seat on its own. This happened because I was trying to install the barrel in a vise with a couple 2x4s. I ordered a new upper, and the gun now has about 1K rounds through it so I learned my lesson the hard way. My question is, is there any way I can have that upper re-trued? It's just sitting in a box in my office, so it's not doing much for me, but now I have a new lower to play with. I just thought I'd ask in case anyone has ever heard of that kind of a repair. Thanks!

Posted: 1/5/2009 12:14:11 PM MDT

Henny
07-26-09, 09:07
Tmckay2,

Just a few things, like everyone else and their brother said, get an action block! If it saves you your upper, it paid for its self!

Now for the things that are probably obvious, but these may or may not have happened to me or others:

Is the gas tube off?:D

When you froze your upper, did you direct some heat on the barrel nut so you are in a sense shrinking the upper and expanding the barrel nut?

Since I've had a flat top hair cut for decades, I'm not overly familiar with the heat output of hair dryers. If your barrel nut has loctite on it (why it would I don't know) perhaps feathering a propane torch on the front of the nut may help.

Oh yeah, get an action block!

OldNavyGuy
07-26-09, 09:35

define "clamps", if you are referring to an action block there should be no problem, if you are improvising, you are just asking for trouble, "trouble" means buying a new upper AND a real action block..., understood ?

Iraqgunz
07-26-09, 10:21
I would follow just about all of the above and get the correct tools first. Once you have done that I would look at possibly soaking the area or apply heat with a small butane type torch. Chances are someone put some crap on there that doesn't belong.

Razorhunter
07-26-09, 10:40
You want the DPMS Panther Claw action block, sold by Bravocompanyusa.com and others. Right now, it's out of stock at Bravo, but plenty of other places sell it.
Take a look at this link, and click on the pic to see how it is mounted in the vise.
This is NOT how you want to use it when removing a bbl nut however.
You need to turn it 90 degrees, where it is sideways in the vise. You then take a small piece of plywood in between the top of the upper receiver and the vise jaw.
You are THEN good to torque the bbl nut on or off.

BTW,
As was stated above, you MUST use a cheap piece of pipe as a breaker bar extension (about 3-4' long), and ANY bbl nut will come off EASILY, with almost ZERO effort I tell you.
Without the above setup, you will tear up receivers, bbl nut teeth, and you risk slipping and marring up your receiver...

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-DPMS-Panther-Claw-p/panther%20claw%20ar15.htm

Henny
08-02-09, 21:03
Any updates to this? I'd like to know how the OP made out!

Munch
08-03-09, 09:20
I was thinking if you tried a breaker bar/pipe without success...perhaps the assembler applied Red Loctite instead of anti-seize compound on the barrel nut threads. If Red was used, you will need to apply heat (best from a heat gun with a rheostat). 350-375' will turn Red Loctite to dust.

Also, if you have used the rifle in a humid environment or near the coast and anti-seize compound was not applied to the barrel nut threads when installed...you may now have the dreaded darn near permanent bonding of an aluminum part to an aluminum part.