PDA

View Full Version : my first lower build(no pics yet)

stevenhyde
07-26-09, 01:59
this rifle is for SHTF/home defense/TEOTWAWKI.
heres the list so far.
by the way i have none of this. its all in the mail, or waiting on monday for me to mail a money order.

lower half
stag lower with a stag LPK and ambi safety(which includes a grip)
id like an ambi mag catch but $80...ill pass...for now.
magpul MOE stock
emdom gunslinger sling.
"ikickhippies" receiver endplate.
pmags.

id really like a redimag but im not sure if it will work with an ambi mag catch. so after i get an ambi mag catch, i may get a redimag to try. id hate to have it not fit with the ambi mag catch.

ive been focusing on the lower so im not sure about the upper. its a work in progress.

upper half
no clue on upper receiver but it will be a flattop and will contain an LMT enhanced BCG if i can get one. im not sure which BCG ill use,if i cant get the LMT, but it will have the extractor spring upgrade im sure youre familiar with.

LMT charging handle

16" mid-length gas system.1:7 twist. SS or chrome lined. i havent researched barrels enough to have any ideas on brand, but ill get on that.

fixed front sight gas block. (i guess this all depends on where i get the barrel? right? prebuilt or from a builder.) like i said i have more research to do.

MBUS in the rear is my current choice. i may however decide to get a metal sight.

non-free floating quad rail for future accesories. no clue about this.

im going to stick with my iron/polymer setup for a few months but some form of aimpoint in the future.

i have a few nice momentary on LED flashlights im sure i could hook up but ill worry about that once the entire rifle is built and in my hands. it will have one eventually.

i live in FL and this is a home defense gun, so...a supressor sometime. probably. i hope.

ill also be buying all the springs and buffers and pins ill need for years. some form of eye and ear protection will be purchased but im not sure yet. ammo will currently be some federal value pack from wal-mart i have until i can make a bulk purchase.

i dont think i missed anything. as you can see i have no clue about the upper, but ill get to reading and update this thread as i learn more and decide. ill also add pics when i get the stuff in the mail. any comments or suggestions or insight is welcome.
p.s. im not a journalist so i may confuse you as i try to express my thoughts in text. whoops.

recon by fire
07-26-09, 05:28
ill use whatever charging handle i get my hands on.

There is a picture floating around the board somewhere. Maybe someone will post it. It's a picture of a mil-spec vs. non mil-spec charging handle. It seems like there wouldn't be much difference, right? You would be suprised. My advise is to make sure you get a quality charging handle. Besides, they're not that expensive anyways. I put an LMT charging handle on my rifle, and at the time, I think it cost me $20.

stevenhyde
07-26-09, 11:55
thank you. ill be sure i do get a milspec one. id like to see the pic if someone has it.
now some updates.
i wanted a foregrip to make it easier to press the rear clicky on my flashlight. (by the way my light isnt a weapon light, its just a high quality LED) but that means id need to mount it at 6 or 9oclock to be able to reach the switch with my finger while holding the VFG.
but i want my light at 12oclock. which means id need a remote pressure swicth. and in my months and months of reading about flashlights i never saw a remote pressure switch until i came here and found weaponlights. which makes me doubt ill be able to hook one up to my light(jetbeam jet-III pro st). ill do more research about pressure switch and compatability once the rifle is built and in my hands.
so im thinking ill ditch the VFG if i can get a pressure switch for my curent light and just mount the switch on the rail. id really dislike having to go the surefire route for a light.

There is a picture floating around the board somewhere. Maybe someone will post it. It's a picture of a mil-spec vs. non mil-spec charging handle. It seems like there wouldn't be much difference, right? You would be suprised. My advise is to make sure you get a quality charging handle. Besides, they're not that expensive anyways. I put an LMT charging handle on my rifle, and at the time, I think it cost me $20.

Iraqgunz
07-27-09, 01:49
Save your money on the KNS anti-roll pin crap and spend it on something worthwhile.

stevenhyde
07-27-09, 01:58
i knew you were going to say that!(well, i guessed based on your previous KNS comments) and ill take your advice. i feel special knowing you graced my thread. i enjoy your posts.
Save your money on the KNS anti-roll pin crap and spend it on something worthwhile.

original post edited to include my changes.