PDA

View Full Version : I just started trying to get in shape, this is what I am doing

Heavy Metal
07-26-09, 11:08
I am hiking two days on and one day off for rest.

I started about two and a half weeks ago. I am trying to include at least a 500 foot elevation change each hike. Yesterday, I did 700feet over 4 miles in two hours.

My hikes generally run 1.5 to two hours in length@~2-2.5mph.

I did 4.5 the day before with a 400ft elevation change. I started adding a 20 pound pack the last two times.

My upper body workout is light with about 50 push-ups those same days. I plan on some weight training in the fall but do not want to waste money on a gym membership when parks and trails are free and the days are long.

My weight has finally started dropping and my legs are getting noticably harder.

I suffered shin-splints for the first two weeks (new boots too) and just above my ankles on either side are a bit sore today so I seem to be better tolerating my workout.

I am wondering if in a week or so if I should throttle-back for a week to reduce the chance of an injury.

Littlelebowski
07-26-09, 11:37
Don't throttle back. Take Motrin. Your routine isn't that rough on your body. You might balance it out with a bit of cardio for the upper body such as swimming or kayaking.

Ttwwaack
07-26-09, 12:26
As the Bow said or aspirin about 30 min prior to activity. If they are bad, again after activity. Motrin takes awhile to take effect. Mine got so bad I could hardly run and walking any distance was tough.

Some additional excercise to help with circulation and strengthen the surrounding muscules, try calf raises off of a step to really stretch out the calves.

Heavy Metal
08-08-09, 21:01
http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/foot/extensor_tendons.htm

I am convinced this is the problem with my right foot. I am keeping up the workout but I would enjoy it 10x as much if my right foot felt as good as the left. Legs are continuing to get better muscle tone and my weight is slowly dropping.

I did a two tank dive thursday at the lake with lots of swimming instead of the usual hike. Felt it a bit in the quads the next day. Different muscles and all that jazz.

Pain is slowly improving but it is s.l.o.w. Next week is likely to be a light week due to work. I will likely hike tue and wed and lay off till after Todds class to give it a bit of a rest to recover.

Heavy Metal
09-06-09, 12:14
Well, my flexor tendon has healed. I did a 10 mile hike with around 30lbs in a large alice ruck.

I descended 1800ft, crossed a 700ft high ridge and came down where I dropped off my vehicle.

Next is to do it in the OPPOSITE direction where I ascend the 1800ft elevation change.