PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a new upper

aspen
07-26-09, 11:46
I just pick'd up a Colt Match Target comp 20". Cheap (700.), guys wife did'nt want it in the house. Id like to get a m4 type upper for it. Should I stick with colt or will any upper work? Thanks

CaptainDooley
07-26-09, 11:55
For a plain Jane M4 upper it's hard to beat a BCM or LMT upper.

5pins
07-26-09, 12:04
Any good quality upper will work and they are becoming easier to find.

Ziptie
07-26-09, 12:07
What's wrong with the Colt match target?

aspen
07-26-09, 12:19
Nothing. I would just like to have the option of a shorter setup

sholling
07-26-09, 12:30
I just pick'd up a Colt Match Target comp 20". Cheap (700.), guys wife did'nt want it in the house. Id like to get a m4 type upper for it. Should I stick with colt or will any upper work? ThanksPoor guy probably would have been a lot happier if he'd kept the rifle and got rid of the wife. Oh well his loss is your gain. :D

Iraqgunz
07-26-09, 12:31
My guess is that he wants something smaller than the 20" musket that he has now.

What's wrong with the Colt match target?

Hell_Bent
07-26-09, 12:55
Damn - this sort of thing never happens to me...

As stated above, any quality M4 upper should work fine.

Just a thought (if it were me), unless you're wanting to maintain the ability to run both uppers off the match lower - I'd consider selling/trading the complete rifle towards buying/building a complete M4. Sucks to "handicap" a nice, short/light M4 rifle with that fixed A2 stock. You could probably end up in an M4 of your choosing, for very little cash outlay on your part.

Especially considering new, complete Colt 6920's hitting the $1100 price point lately.

Good 20" rifles seem to be in demand on the market, currently, as well...

But, if you're looking to maintain that flexibility with being able to run both uppers - it's a fair compromise.

I'm off to call all my shooting "buddies" wives and talk to them about the dangers of firearms in the home... :cool:

kmrtnsn
07-26-09, 12:58
Hold old is that Colt Target "20? Does it have a front takedown pin, or a fixed pivot pin?

RojasTKD
07-26-09, 13:08
What I'd likely do.

Get on Bravo Company's e-mail list and snag a BCM 16" upper (most likely a mid-length in my case) and swap out upper as I see fit.

Then over the next few months I'd either pick up a complete lower or start picking up parts to build a complete lower.

In the end I'd end up with two complete rifles. Doesn't that sound like a great plan? ;)

aspen
07-26-09, 13:28
I cant have a adjustable stock where Iam at so Iam stuck with what I have or locate a pinned stock.

The original owner put in what I believe is a aftermarket pivot pin. It has a screw in one side.

Have no idea how old it is. Have not been able to locate a site yet where I can look up the serial number. Might have to give Colt a call.

5pins
07-26-09, 14:04
I assumed it was new for some reason. If you have a front pivot pin with a screw on one side then you should be ok. Older Colts have a larger pivot pin hole and may not work with newer uppers with out a special adapter.

Can you have a flash hider? Most places that have restrictions butt stocks seem to have restrictions on flash hiders.

5pins
07-26-09, 14:06
What I'd likely do.

Get on Bravo Company's e-mail list and snag a BCM 16" upper (most likely a mid-length in my case) and swap out upper as I see fit.

Then over the next few months I'd either pick up a complete lower or start picking up parts to build a complete lower.

In the end I'd end up with two complete rifles. Doesn't that sound like a great plan? ;)

Grant has mid-lengths in stock.

aspen
07-26-09, 14:07
No adjustable stock, no flash sup, Muzzle brake OK no Bayo lug

5pins
07-26-09, 14:11
Well that will narrow your options some.

Dunderway
07-26-09, 14:13
No adjustable stock, no flash sup, Muzzle brake OK no Bayo lug

If you order a BCM you can have it sent straight to ADCO for evil feature removal, and then sent to you.

kmrtnsn
07-26-09, 14:57
"The original owner put in what I believe is a aftermarket pivot pin. It has a screw in one side. "

Open the receivers since you can't separate them and tell us if the from pivot pin is the same size as the rear take down pin. Pics would be nice. Does it have a flash suppressor or is the muzzle "plain", like the muzzle of a hunting rifle. Trying to determine if this is a ban period Colt.

aspen
07-26-09, 15:15
Using colts web site as a reference I would say its a mt6700 target crown no brake or fs. From what I can tell the pins are the same. I need to go out for a bit but when I get back Ill pull the front pin and mic it and take some pic's

aspen
07-27-09, 10:48
Just got off the phone with Colt and according to them my rifle was made in 1999. Took out the pivot pin and both pins measure the same .245.

Rock-N-Ruin
07-27-09, 11:33
Iam with the rest of em!! I'd just order a 16" LMT or BCM upper, maybe a mid gas for the BCM.. Either and you'll be happy... Having an extra upper laying around will drive ya nuts and "you will" build a second lower, it's called BRD (black rifle disease)... Good luck and enjoy your new Colt.. ps. Agreed on the comment about gettin rid of the wife!! man that bites..:mad:

aspen
07-30-09, 14:02
Ok bcm can't help they don't stock in the config I need.So I'am still looking.

RojasTKD
07-30-09, 14:10
Ok bcm can't help they don't stock in the config I need.So I'am still looking.

If you get one from Grant at grtactical.com he can likely configure it to how you want before sending it out.