PDA

View Full Version : Which O ring for extractor?

SpankMonkey
07-26-09, 13:04
guys which O-ring works behind the extractor? i dont want to spend 9 bucks on shipping for such a small part. thx

stevenhyde
07-26-09, 13:29

SpankMonkey
07-26-09, 14:09
#60 is what ive read on the forums during my searching.
i dont remember what thread exactly but i added it to my notes when i read it and it says "#60 o ring"

Thank you.

stevenhyde
07-26-09, 14:14
his was originally posted by pat rogers in 2006

"Roger, different. The #60 "O" rings commonly available would work for a short time in a pinch (and i have used a whole bunch of them on my guns as well as others).
Having said that, we were able to purchase a great quantity of the Crane type at a significant savings."

take it for what its worth. i know i saw another mention of #60 somewhere else on here. ill look some more.

decodeddiesel
07-26-09, 14:21
Honestly the Bravo Company extractor upgrade kit is more than worth it. I honestly think the correct insert along with the correct spring is a lot more important than the O-ring.

As a matter of fact I was having issues running the O-ring in my LMT 14.5". There was too much extractor tension. It was shaving brass from the cartridges and causing the ejector to become stuck. Removed the O-ring, problem solved. I only use the O-ring when running Wolf or Barnaul steel cased ammo.

Wrecktech
07-29-09, 00:06
The ones that I have just gotten are from McMaster-Carr #75 Viton Size 006, 1/8" ID & 1/4" OD. ETA: Part # 9464K11 = $5.22/100.

Robb Jensen
07-29-09, 07:46
The ones that I have just gotten are from McMaster-Carr #75 Viton Size 006, 1/8" ID & 1/4" OD. I'll find and add the exact part number later. ~$6/100.

Those are the ones I use too.

acrashb
07-29-09, 08:36
1201T16 - the mil-spec version. (apparently more solvent-resistant)

McMaster-Carr - if they don't carry something, that's because you don't need it :)

rob_s
07-29-09, 08:40
guys which O-ring works behind the extractor? i dont want to spend 9 bucks on shipping for such a small part. thx

I know it's not what you asked but, are you having issues that you are hoping to address with the o-ring?

Wrecktech
07-29-09, 11:22
1201T16 - the mil-spec version. (apparently more solvent-resistant)

This mil-spec version is about 2x the price of the one I get. I have them strung on a paper clip and on a tiny carabiner for range days in case one of my guys has managed to lose one.

markm
07-29-09, 11:35
I know it's not what you asked but, are you having issues that you are hoping to address with the o-ring?

EXACTLY. I wouldn't go puting plumbing shit in a gun just because a lot of people on the internut do it.

In fact... as I always say.... I wouldn't keep a gun that needed an o ring to run.

And as pointed out... the BCM bolt or kit runs on everything I own from 11.5" to 20" rifle.

ra2bach
07-29-09, 17:17
EXACTLY. I wouldn't go puting plumbing shit in a gun just because a lot of people on the internut do it.

In fact... as I always say.... I wouldn't keep a gun that needed an o ring to run.

And as pointed out... the BCM bolt or kit runs on everything I own from 11.5" to 20" rifle.

Mark, the BCM BCGs I got have include the O-ring but it is uninstalled.

what circumstances generally would require adding the Ring of "O"?

decodeddiesel
07-29-09, 17:33

The only time I would consider one is with a suppressed SBR due to the increased BCG velocity it may help with extraction to have that little bit added by the O-ring.

Mr.B
07-29-09, 22:22
Mark, the BCM BCGs I got have include the O-ring but it is uninstalled.

The kit BCM sells says you likely will not need the O-ring, but they included it anyway.

I just installed one of the BCM springs tonight, sans o-ring (actually, this thread reminded me I needed to do it)

It makes a huge difference in tension, you can feel the difference just in trying to move the extractor by hand. (or during install, the old spring squashes easy during removal, the new one... not so easy to squash:) )

Wrecktech
08-04-09, 23:31
In a class setting yesterday, Ned Christianson related that he had done some testing from six various vendors of six extractor springs from each vendor and found that even within the same manufacturer, there was a wide variety in performance. The O-ring is not a perfect solution (provided you get one that doesn't disolve in gun oils/solvents or melt from the heat) when compared to the D-ring version. The O-ring is not tapered or angled (when viewed from the side) like the D-ring. Now that difference could amount to some inconsistency in pressure to the extractor. The other side of the coin is what you have access to and/or what you can afford. The O-rings run aobut 0.05 to 0.10 each where the D-ring is $10.00.