PDA

View Full Version : 18" SPR Barrel

Dave L.
01-28-07, 05:32
I am looking into doing a MK-12 Mod-0 SPR-type build and all I can find for barrels is a Noveski and a White Oak. I know a Noveski is probably top-o-da-line for SPR barrels...but it's kinda pricey. I really don't know anything about WOA. I believe both companies offer properly head-spaced bolts for the extra charge.

Can someone point be a good direction?

Is the Noveski worth the extra price?

How is WOA's quality in general?

Who makes the real MK-12 Mod-0 Barrel for the military?

Thanks,
Dave

Derek_Connor
01-28-07, 08:46
If there would be a difference between the noveske/white oak, I doubt 99% of us would be able to tell the difference..

WOA makes top quality stuff - I would not hesitate to buy one of their barrels if I had the opportunity/build for it.

In regards to who made the real barrel, I believe they contracted Douglass Barrels for that....someone else will be along to confirm that

Robb Jensen
01-28-07, 09:11
Who makes the real MK-12 Mod-0 Barrel for the military?

Thanks,
Dave

The Noveske and WOA are excellent barrels. The MK12 Mod 0 had a 1x7 twist 18" Douglas bbl.

Dave L.
01-28-07, 16:13
Does Nov. and WOA use the same grade SS steel for their barrels? I'm just trying to get a handle on why the prices are so different- I'm sure WOA has the ability to keep up with S&D more so than Noveski.

Dave L.
01-28-07, 18:32
Anyone done an SPR type build in 6.8mm?

shark31
01-31-07, 16:06
Anyone done an SPR type build in 6.8mm?

I built one with a Noveske barrel. It shoots great, but I think that a 16" would be a better choice in 6.8, the extra 2 inches doesn't get you too much more than added weight.

Of the 2 WOA 6.8 barrels I've shot/built, accuracy is at least on par if not better than the 3 Noveske 6.8 barrels barrels I've used, YMMV.

I think that you will be well served with either company's barrel.

deadwood83
01-31-07, 20:34
Personally, I think practical accuracy is pretty damn close between the barrels. Maybe 100th of an inch difference in groups, if even that. I'd go with what I feel more confident using.

Dave.O
01-31-07, 21:47
I would think if your looking for a top shelf barrel, you would look at a Kreiger.. What is the old saying that a wise friend of mine says. Buy once, cry once..

edwin907
01-31-07, 21:54
This 18" Kreiger SPR barrel from JTAC is superb and ready for the OPS collar.

http://www.pbase.com/edwin907/image/68786725/original.jpg

This 18" SPR CLE Douglas from PDC also shoots very nice and would be right at home on a Mod0.

http://www.pbase.com/edwin907/image/69917270/original.jpg

cohiba
01-31-07, 22:33
I'm a Noveske kool-aid drinker as John is a great guy beside making killer barrels but all the barrels mentioned are excellent. Lilja too. You almost have to go way out of your way to buy a bad barrel nowadays. The Noveske is a SPR barrel is length and name only, so it's pretty heavy. I had Steve at ADCO trim it down to proper SPR contour complete with the shoulder for the Ops Inc. brake. Excellent work, great price and quick turn around. I also switched from Mod O to Mod 1 when the barrel was done but I admit I sort of miss the Mod O now. Thankfully, I still have all the parts. :cool:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/MK11Mod1006.jpg