PDA

View Full Version : Acai Berry

Gutshot John
07-26-09, 15:29
This I guess is the new wonderfuud.

I'm curious as to where the facts end and the hype begins.

I'm sure it's rich in antioxidants and that isn't bad, but what makes it any better than anything else?

What about metabolic claims/issues?

Any side effects?

bcso78
07-28-09, 16:44
it was the new "wonderfuud" a couple years ago, overhyped- drink grape juice.

RyanB
07-28-09, 18:06
XXX Vitamin Water... I love it.

Mr.Goodtimes
07-29-09, 08:25
i didnt notice anything special from it when i was taking it. the stuff costs an arm and a leg and after a month of taking it, i can say i felt exactly the same as when i wasnt taking it. i think its def. over hyped, just eat your veggies and take a multi.

militarymoron
07-29-09, 13:34
some friends at work were into the monavie acai berry juice drink, and were selling it/saying how good it was for you.
my wife asked them some simple questions which pretty much shut them up.
1. how much anti-oxidant is in this monavie? (the label does not indicate the amount) - they couldn't answer that.
2. so what if the acai berry has the 'highest concentration of anti-oxidants'? how much do you think you need daily? (they couldn't answer that either)
3. do you know that you can take too MUCH antioxidants which can result in harmful effects? (they said that 'oh, but monavie has the right amount')

anyways, she basically said that if you don't know how much your body needs, nor know how much you're getting, you need to know those things before taking any substance.
my wife has a phd in biochemistry with an emphasis in cancer cell research, and is a consultant in the pharmaceutical industry (intimately familiar with FDA regulations governing drugs and suppliments), so she always knows the right questions to ask when someone talks about the next new wonder suppliment.

her take on it - much of the claims about acai are unsubstantited and based on junk science (B.S), and you can get your anti-oxidants from many other cheaper, natural sources in your diet.

Gutshot John
07-29-09, 13:45
Would you ask your wife what your body does need in terms of antioxidants? When is it too much? I would presume that you don't need anymore than you have free-radicals in your system, but that this might vary from person to person.

Can she recommend a daily regimen/product?

militarymoron
07-29-09, 18:53
gutshot - she's not a nutritionist, so she can't recommend what you should take, only that you find out more from a qualified source (not ads) if possible, and know how much you're getting from a product.

anyways, i did ask her and here's her response:

"In experiments conducted by the US Dept of Agriculture, volunteers
were asked to ingest large quantities of fruits that have been
identified as having high levels of antioxidants, and their blood were
subsequently tested for antioxidant capacity. One important note is
the large amount of fruit required per ingestion - for example -
volunteers in the Kiwi fruit group must eat 4 kiwis. The cherry group?
45 cherries. This should give consumers an idea of the potential
"starting" dose needed to gain an antioxidant benefit - and this is
PER DOSE. (imagine eating 45 * 3 cherries a day - if you want to get
the benefit of cherries' antioxidant properties with every meal.)

This does make for an attractive commercial market to give consumers
"concentrated" forms of antioxidants - except most of companies
providing these types of nutrition products are not regulated by the
FDA - that branch of the government regulating food and drugs to make
sure that you as a consumer aren't being ripped off or worse -
physically harmed by ingesting unsafe products. Unfortunately, history
has shown that the FDA only steps in when enough people get sick or if
a few people begin to die from the so-called "nutraceutical" - just
look at the ephedrine cases in the mult-billion dollar weight-loss
industry.

Currently there is no agreed projection of antioxidant intake because
this can fluctuate based on individual energy intake, caloric
consumption, and especially environmental or confounding health
related factors like exposure to cigarette smoke or disease
(increasing body's oxidation burden). There are researchers who are
trying to determine what these individual needs may be, but for the
most part, consumers have been inundated by commercial entities eager
to profit on a perceived benefit of "high antioxidant intake". For
example, via Quackwatch:
http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/PhonyAds/acai.html

The verdict? If you like to drink exotic berries for the taste,
there's no problem with indulging yourself but if you're looking for
some of these commercial products for bona fide healthcare benefits,
require the claims to be backed up by randomized, double-blind placebo
controlled clinical trials, with full disclosure of side effect
profiles experienced by the human subjects.

(...and if there is really some miracle plant bearing amazing
therapeutic properties, the pharma companies would outrun anyone to
isolate the agents, synthesize/mass produce, and submit it through the
proper legal govt channels for commercialization! that was how we got
cancer drugs from the pacific yew tree.)"

Heavy Metal
08-08-09, 21:08
(...and if there is really some miracle plant bearing amazing
therapeutic properties, the pharma companies would outrun anyone to
isolate the agents, synthesize/mass produce, and submit it through the
proper legal govt channels for commercialization! that was how we got
cancer drugs from the pacific yew tree.)"

Someone is doing that with Resveratrol.

K.L. Davis
08-08-09, 23:57
If you like to drink exotic berries for the taste...
I remember hearing how great Acai Berry was for you... one attempt at drinking some of it made me forever swear off of the stuff and henceforth refer to it as Ass Berry. Yuk!

militarymoron
08-09-09, 01:59
Someone is doing that with Resveratrol.

what are they doing? clinical or pre-clinical studies (in vitro or in vivo)?

jwinch2
08-09-09, 08:43
A recent study compared commonly ingested drinks in the United States to determine the amount of antioxidants contained. It is not stated in the study purpose but I believe that this is in response to the recent acai juice invasion and fantastic claims which are being made about it. Not surprisingly, study results indicate that there are about 6 better ways to get AO's than acai. What is also not discussed in the article is that most of the methods are far cheaper than buying acai juice as well. What is also not discussed much is that you can even save more money by just eating the darn berries instead of buying the processed and packaged juice.

Things which scored higher: Pomegranate, blueberries, cherries, grapes, red wine. Things which scored just under acai: cranberries, oranges, iced tea, apples. Pomegranate juice was actually 20% higher than acai in antioxidants.

What is the short version? Eat fruits and berries or drink their juice if you don't want to eat them directly. Drink a glass of red wine a couple of times a week. Eat some dark chocolate. Hell do both of them at the same time!

Whatever you do, don't pay an arm and a leg for it and don't fall into one of the damn pyramid schemes with Monavie or other versions of acai that are going around.

Here is an abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18220345?ordinalpos=6&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum) to the article. For copywrite reasons, I cannot link or attach the full text.

One final thing to consider is that there hundreds of studies indicating that people can and do get too many antioxidants which lead to things like heart failure, diabetes, renal problems, decreased ability to absorb dietary minerals etc. There is a reason dieticians and nutritionists have to be licensed to practice and that is because of the significant potential for harm to be done by people who, though well meaning, do not have all of the facts at hand, nor the proper background to make use of them if they did.

Cheers...

dbrowne1
08-09-09, 09:59
There's a guy I've met a couple times who sells that Monavie stuff. At $40 a bottle, it better be made with the sweat of a blessed virgin, not some Amazon berry. I can get several years worth of pharmaceutical grade multivitamins for that.

thespyhunter
08-11-09, 21:36
I remember hearing how great Acai Berry was for you... one attempt at drinking some of it made me forever swear off of the stuff and henceforth refer to it as Ass Berry. Yuk!

:D:D:D
I'm laughing my assberry off

tmckay2
08-31-09, 22:31
its just like broccoli or any other fruit and vegetable. good for you, has antioxidants, but in reality probably won't change your life at all. no real side effects though, its perfectly healthy to take

Heavy Metal
09-06-09, 12:04
what are they doing? clinical or pre-clinical studies (in vitro or in vivo)?

Pharma companies are doing studies and are working on a perscription derivative. Sorry I can't remember more details now.

EDIT: Here is something I found:

http://www.myresveratrolexperience.com/2008/11/sirtris-makes-major-moves-goes-relatively-unreported.html

Heavy Metal
09-06-09, 12:07
One final thing to consider is that there hundreds of studies indicating that people can and do get too many antioxidants which lead to things like heart failure, diabetes, renal problems, decreased ability to absorb dietary minerals etc.

Beware fat soluable stuff like vitamin E and Vitamin A.

I take a 400mg Vitamin E but only once every 4 days.

Stick mainly with water soluable anti-oxidants, your body can just piss out the excess.

shep854
09-18-09, 22:15
So what's the "one simple rule" the online ads keep telling us to obey? Buy their product?

I've clicked on a couple of ads, but didn't see anything--I was actually hesitant, wondering if I would be picking up malware.

Derek_Connor
09-19-09, 08:24
I had a guy at my local gym randomly approach me about that "E Mona Vie" (sp?) Drink.

Started quoting all these specific incidences of break through in work outs, and people winning their fight against cancer and the same.

Yup, I bought 20 cases right there on the spot. :rolleyes::rolleyes: