PDA

View Full Version : please help with my personal set up

wolverineSIERRA
07-27-09, 10:08
hi, i am new to this site, and i heared that you can learn alot so i signed up and now ive been going through this site and different forums and learning a bit, and now i have a question to ask.
my question is about my personal tactical gear, i be using it for over seas deplyments to the gulf, i am part of the US Navy HVBSS team, just made the team and we are trainign for our upcoming deplyoment, my problem is that our current issue gear is good but not really for what we need it for, so the team CO authorized us to buy our own if we can afford it and set it up to our liking, our current vest is made by london bridge and we hate it, they are very bulky and very hot, the mag pouches are all messed up and it makes it very hard to fastrope and just unwanted bulk and also being a flotaion vest doesnt help either, so i was thinking if anyone can help me out in the right directions, our job is mainley helicopter visit board seizure and search, we are not a regular navy VBSS but we only deal with non compliant boardings and we board at night as well as day time, all of us are first class swimmers so we all feel like we dont need a tactical lifevest it very pointless when u fastrope on to a moving ship and have to be ready to go as you hit the deck and you cant do that that well when you feel like the Michelin man
the reason why i came here to ask its because ive looked around and i have a few ideas but dont wanna get gear then not be happy with it an have to return it, this stuff aint cheap man, anyway so i was thinking about getting a soft plate carrier with molle and attached, and getting possibly four to six mags for my MK-18 in a shingle style pouch and on top of it having a triple pistol mag pouch and my camel back on my back, i was looking into eagle industries but the stuff didnt impress me because the simple fact is that EI molle pouches seem to have snaps in the back to secure the pouchesa and it seems unsafe and i feel like they gonna snap off if i roll or when against a rope, and also their belt pistol mag pouches for my first line belt dont seem to secure or tight, i was wondering if anyone has any first hand experiences with them, i was also interested in the blackhawk strike recon vest because it looks very comportable and light, thats the key, comfy and light, because we can be on stand by on a ship for up to 14 hours all jocked up, we are a full time boarding team and have no other responsibility,any help from you guys would be much appreciated and its not just for me but also for the rest of the crew who would also look into modifying their gear, thanks.

Failure2Stop
07-27-09, 13:13
Eagle makes some top of the stack kit, you just need to know what you are looking for. They have a whole array of MOLLE/PALS pouches.

Blackhawk makes some of the crappiest kit on the market, but they are all that a lot of people know about.

You have a ton of options out there, and you can spend a lot of oney really easy if you aren't careful (just ask my ex-wife).

Due to the nature of your job I highly recommend that you maintain OPSEC and not divulge much of what you do or what you carry when doing the job.

If you want to discuss this in more depth, feel free to PM me. There are some other excellent resources that are more oriented to kit and specific layouts.

wolverineSIERRA
07-27-09, 13:59
thanks man, i was looking into eagle today and it seems like good gear, but i was wondering if anyone has any experience with their molle stuff, it seems like their molle pouches have a snap on type deal on the back and to me doesnt seem too secure, but thats just me if anyone knows differently please feel to share, specially the triple M4 double mag pouch, ill either go with that or ill try to find a
M4 mag pouch with 4 to pissibly 5 rows of single stack mag pouch, less bulky closer to the body, and mybe a leg rig that can carry no more than 2 mags

Puffy93
07-27-09, 14:17
No experience with eagle but some of my molle stuff has snaps and I have never had an issue with it.

telecustom
07-27-09, 14:50
The BBF (Big Bag of ****) we were issued had all Eagle Molle Pouches. They are great. Yes the molle pouches have snaps. If you thread it correctly, the snaps won't matter.

We use their pistol mag pouches. They worked vary well for the rotation with no issues.