PDA

View Full Version : Difference (if any) between Federal Small Pistol and Fed Match Small Pistol Primers?

Pk14
07-27-09, 14:56
Saw Powder Valley had Fed Small Pistol Match Primers (GM100M) available for back-order but no regular Small Pistol primers.

Is there any difference between the two performance-wise? Plan on reloading a bunch of 9mm for practice once the PT.com M&P9 shows up and I've only used Winchester SPP before...

Thanks,
Pk

tommyh
07-28-09, 08:08
Saw Powder Valley had Fed Small Pistol Match Primers (GM100M) available for back-order but no regular Small Pistol primers.

Is there any difference between the two performance-wise? Plan on reloading a bunch of 9mm for practice once the PT.com M&P9 shows up and I've only used Winchester SPP before...

Thanks,
Pk

from what i have read and what i have been told by CCI, the only difference is a steady set standard of discharge from the primer itself in the match version. it is formulated to be more precise in detonation. totally interchangable, but more expensive

Pk14
07-29-09, 06:58
Thanks, TommyH - one question about your comment - I was looking at the Federal Match primers and you mentioned CCI - is that Match designation some sort of an industry standard to denote Probability of ignition? I'm loading up a bunch of training ammo - so long as there is no difference in load data due to differences in Match vs. Standard Small Pistol primers, I'll go ahead and get on the back-order list.

Thanks,
Pk

tommyh
07-29-09, 13:29
It just guarantees a more constant flash charge than the standard primer, for benchrest or match shooting for accuracy. get back on that list! :)