PDA

View Full Version : Insight M3x vs alternatives

RAM Engineer
01-28-07, 14:14
I saw in the PDF that gotM4 posted that Insight's M3x was awarded the SOPMOD 2 visible light contract as the SU-233.

I guess my question is, why would one choose this light over an alternative like an X200, SF Scout, or some other tube-based LED or Incandescent light? Application would be AR-15 from 1-100 yards.

I'm currently using a surefire 9v millenium light, but it's a little too "crew-served" sized for me.

I know Crane must have had some sort of selection criteria when this light was selected, but they might not necessarily be the same as mine.

Also, does anyone know which lights competed against the M3x for this contract?

thanks,

Jason

RAM Engineer
01-31-07, 15:23
Sooo.....

Does ANYONE have any experience with using an M3X on an AR platform?

Bueller?......Bueller?........

Jason

Dano5326
01-31-07, 16:28
I have used the M3 lights on m4's & glocks... many problems in a dusty enviornment. Additionally I have used the newer M3x & M6x's on m4's & glocks without durability problems. I think 100yds is a bit too far for this light, inside structures, fine.

RAM Engineer
01-31-07, 18:51
Dano, Thanks for the info. Do you use the "rail-grabber" or the slide-lock attachment? Also which back-plate for the M3X?

Jason

Dano5326
02-01-07, 09:42
Whichever M3x & M6x are intended for a Glock, is what I used on the pistol &
M4

koalorka
02-15-07, 17:10
That's probably the Slide-Lock version, I've got an M6X with rail-grabber interface and it's great for zero retention.

JAYTEAM
02-15-07, 19:07
Do you use the mount that attaches the M3X to the front sight base on an AR?

Jay

OrdnanceCorp
02-15-07, 22:14
I was issud an MX3 when I was in Iraq and I thought it was great. I have one now and it has the pressure pad. I like that it is light and small. We coud blind cars on the road that woudn't get out of our way, so it was definately bright enough for me.
I never had any of the surefire stuff but some did and I didn't think they were that much better than my MX3. Just my $.02