PDA

View Full Version : Battle Rifle Recoil Reduction

CoryCop25
07-28-09, 03:36
I am looking for some professional input on a combination of parts that would reduce the recoil on a battle rifle. The reason I am using the term "battle rifle" is because these rifles will be used for duty, not range work and need to be as reliable as they can. My budget does not include the cost of say a KAC Tripple Tap or anything of that nature. Please include input on Buffers, springs, brakes and so on. The two rifles are as follows...

1.) 11.5 heavy contour SBR with a Colt SA BCG, standard CAR buffer and spring with an A2 FH. This SBR runs great as is but I would like to make it less jumpy for better follow up shots. The maximum range I shoot this at is 100 yds. but it is mostly used at 25yds. and in for drills. I shoot this this once a week or so and the round count is no less than 100 per outing. I qualify twice a year and 300 to 500 rounds are fired and I try to make 2 classes a year and the round counts are obviously much higher. I was thinking somewhere on the lines of adding a PWS brake, different buffer and I am in the process of looking to replace the BCG.

2.) 16 in middy that is in the building stages and I was going to put my existing Colt bolt in it with a new FA carrier. This rifle would be used to go to classes out of state and would assume the role of back up rifle.

If you could please touch on the Endine buffers as well as the H,H1,H2 and H3s and experiences with the LMT Enhanced bolts and various brakes. Thanks in advance! :cool:

CoryCop25
07-29-09, 14:45
ANYBODY??? :confused:

Oscar 319
07-29-09, 16:09
I would change the term "Battle Rifle" to "Patrol Rifle". Most folks envision an M1A, FAL or G3 when they see the term "battle rifle".

As far as what you are seeking, I can not address that. I have found the ideal "patrol rifle" for me is a 14.5" Colt 6921 with little more than a VFG, light and "gapper". Recoil is completely managable and I see no reason for modifying it further. The money is better spent on ammo and training.

No matter which way you slice it, 11.5/10.5 SBRs are barky/jumpy things unless you throw a can on them.

C4IGrant
07-29-09, 16:11
I am looking for some professional input on a combination of parts that would reduce the recoil on a battle rifle. The reason I am using the term "battle rifle" is because these rifles will be used for duty, not range work and need to be as reliable as they can. My budget does not include the cost of say a KAC Tripple Tap or anything of that nature. Please include input on Buffers, springs, brakes and so on. The two rifles are as follows...

1.) 11.5 heavy contour SBR with a Colt SA BCG, standard CAR buffer and spring with an A2 FH. This SBR runs great as is but I would like to make it less jumpy for better follow up shots. The maximum range I shoot this at is 100 yds. but it is mostly used at 25yds. and in for drills. I shoot this this once a week or so and the round count is no less than 100 per outing. I qualify twice a year and 300 to 500 rounds are fired and I try to make 2 classes a year and the round counts are obviously much higher. I was thinking somewhere on the lines of adding a PWS brake, different buffer and I am in the process of looking to replace the BCG.

2.) 16 in middy that is in the building stages and I was going to put my existing Colt bolt in it with a new FA carrier. This rifle would be used to go to classes out of state and would assume the role of back up rifle.

If you could please touch on the Endine buffers as well as the H,H1,H2 and H3s and experiences with the LMT Enhanced bolts and various brakes. Thanks in advance! :cool:

The reason why your weapons have more recoil than what is desirable is because they are most likely over gased. This creates greater felt recoil.

So in order to tame this a bit, you can add stiffer buffer springs (like the tactical spring co) H3 buffer in the 11.5 and H in the middy. Using the SF MB or the PWS will help keep the muzzle down.

I have found the magic GP size in a 10.5/11.5 for making a gun run with a suppressor and feel like you are shooting a .22LR. My next project is going to be a 16" middy with a SMALL GP and the LMT Enhanced Carrier.

Stay tuned! :D

C4

CoryCop25
07-29-09, 17:32
Thanks guys. Grant, what's the deal with the enhanced carrier? Is it available as a complete BCG? I was leaning toward a BCM BCG. I thought the heavier buffers created more felt recoil, am I wrong? I loved the post on your 10.5. Looks and seems to work great.

Thomas M-4
07-29-09, 18:10
Thanks guys. Grant, what's the deal with the enhanced carrier? Is it available as a complete BCG? I was leaning toward a BCM BCG. I thought the heavier buffers created more felt recoil, am I wrong? I loved the post on your 10.5. Looks and seems to work great.

They do have a complete bcg
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=527

I run one in my 14.5'' lmt upper.
I have no experience with the 10.5'' but it runs good in my 14.5''

BufordTJustice
07-30-09, 03:21
I would say to start w/ a PWS FSC556, then move to a Spike's Tactical ST-T2 heavy buffer, and lastly, get a Tubbs SSS Flat-wire buffer spring (or, perhaps a Wolf XP buffer spring). The only other thing I could think of is to get a Blackjack Buffers Round AR Bufferstop to replace the 'square' one that comes on all buffers. As always, adding weight reduces recoil on a 1:1 ratio...and I'm sure you're not wanting to weigh yourself down anymore than you currently are. However, when adding weight to the reciprocal mass, this can have an adverse effect on your weapon's reliability. I would let it get a little dirty (maybe 200 rounds) and then take it to the range to test for reliable operation. Your main recoil impulse usually comes from the discharge of the round, the secondary is generated by the reciprocating mass. This can be seen in several high speed videos on YouT*be. Just my $.02.

C4IGrant
07-30-09, 09:45

I do not recommend the LMT Enhanced bolt (just their carrier). I also ONLY recommend the LMT EBC IF you are having short stroking issues or are running a suppressor.

It appears that you would not benefit from one so stick with the BCM.

Heavy buffers = REDUCED felt recoil.

C4

CoryCop25
07-30-09, 16:33
Thank you everyone for your input! I have narrowed it down to the PWS brake and I am going to do some research on the H3 buffer and the Spike's. I will also replace the spring (don't know which one yet). The BCM BCG is a go but I want to get the brake first since my current BCG is running fine right now. Grant, any of this in stock??? :D

vaglocker
07-31-09, 07:39
For gaming I can see adding brakes etc.. to gain that extra milisec on follow-up shots but for the most part all that's needed to ,"tame" :D, the recoil on a fighting 5.56 AR is proper technique. IMO

Iraq Ninja
07-31-09, 07:46
Since this is for a duty gun, be careful on adding brakes. The blast to the sides can be a pain to a fellow team member or officer.

For the shorty, I like the Noveske flaming pig. It throws all the flash down range, and shields you and your partners a bit from the noise as well.