PDA

View Full Version : Noveske Concealed Carry Backpack

Pk14
07-28-09, 07:10
Browsing the Noveske site and saw this:

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=backpack&cat=61&page=1&search=&since=&status=

Looks like it is coming soon - wonder if any of the M4C regulars are doing some T&E on them. Interesting alternative to the Sneaky Bag, depending on how subtle the Noveske logo is in final production...

Cheers,
Pk

VooDoo6Actual
07-28-09, 10:25
PK14 writes:

"depending on how subtle the Noveske logo is in final production..."

Too bad it has a BIG "NOVESKE" LOGO on it.

IMO, negates the whole discreet/SNEAKY/concealed theory.

While I like and think NOVESKE makes great products, if you logically think about it Tangos know the LOGOS and BRANDS as well due to internet etc.

IMO, Get a NORTHFACE TERRA 40/60 pack or similar and do the same thing w/ considerably MORE discreetness.

http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?partNumber=AS9G&variationId=7E5&storeId=207&langId=-1&catalogId=10201

or

http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?partNumber=AS9E&variationId=198&storeId=207&langId=-1&catalogId=10201

Just an informed opinion.

C4IGrant
07-28-09, 10:29
Too bad it has a BIG "NOVESKE" LOGO on it.

IMO, negates the whole discreet/SNEAKY/concealed theory.

While I like and think NOVESKE makes great products, if you logically think about it Tangos know the LOGOS and BRANDS as well due to internet etc.

IMO, Get a NORTHFACE TERRA 40/60 pack or similar and do the same thing w/ considerably MORE discreetness.

http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?partNumber=AS9G&variationId=7E5&storeId=207&langId=-1&catalogId=10201

or

http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?partNumber=AS9E&variationId=198&storeId=207&langId=-1&catalogId=10201

Very few people know the name "Noveske." When customer come into our shop and ask to see a quality AR, I hand them a Noveske. They hand it back to me as they have never heard of them.

C4

Zhurdan
07-28-09, 10:30

Well, the link "informs" you that non-marked versions are available.
;)

VooDoo6Actual
07-28-09, 10:39
Check.

I do understand that many people are ignorant/not in awareness regarding weapons, brands etc.

BUT, I can tell you in theatre (OCONUS) some Tangos are better educated on names/brands than many people CONUS.

To a potential adversary/Tango/Booger Eater (and there are MANY out there including CONUS) having NOVESKE branded on your pack SCREAMS I'm a GUN enthusiast @ a minimum.

IMO, I think a "unmarked" pack is a better approach for the terms concealed/discreet/sneaky to be applied.

davemcdonald
07-28-09, 10:40
Grant is right in that most people do not know the Noveske name or the quality of John's products but I would rather not take that chance. I would prefer my discrete carry to remain discrete.

If your organization requires non marked versions, please contact us with your request.

So the Dave McDonald Discrete Carry of an SBR organization would require a non marked version.

BAC
07-28-09, 10:56
That's a slick looking pack. Looks like it could carry a broken-down rifle, three-mag chest rig, and maybe a couple other things comfortably (translation, perfect range bag for me). Leaving the logo where it is, moving it to the bottom, or getting rid of it altogether would all be fine options, but the big NOVESKE lettering should probably go. I'd also like to see the interior something brighter and more visible than black. Green or yellow would be ideal, even red would be good, just something to provide enough contrast to whatever's in the pack to see it easily. It's not like you're concealing anything with the pack is open, after all.

All in all, the pack looks really nice. Any word on price?

-B

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-28-09, 14:47
I agree that Noveske has a low probabilty of outing you, but except as an inside nod, why not put someother sports logo on. A bag like that and 'Noveske' sounds like tennis gear.

Is this the same or similar to what Jeff and Grant have demo'd lately?

bkb0000
07-28-09, 15:14
you could always just use it as a regular backpack.. no different than that larue tactical cap you got on your head right now

Irish
07-28-09, 16:53
Several people have thought my Noveske hat was for the skateboard brand Independent due to the iron cross logo even with the "Stops Jihad On Contact" on the back. I sent Sheri an e-mail for price and availability, I'll post it when she replies.

RyanB
07-28-09, 17:54
What we need is a bag with two compartments so I can open it and get my regular stuff without anyone seeing a rifle...

SeriousStudent
07-28-09, 18:03
I'll be sending another stimulus check to Oregon. ;)

ST911
07-28-09, 20:28
Made by Eagle Industries = EXCELLENT

Logo = BLECH.

The general public might not know what Noveske is, but sometimes I need to hide things from law enforcement and security, too. Not to mention other gun owners.

I guarantee that this backpack will appear in a concealement-methods advisory, disseminated through LE channels, just as other similar products have.

No beef with Noveske...good stuff...but no logos please.

I'd love to order this pack without a logo, and will do so when it's available.

militarymoron
07-28-09, 23:25
they did a nice job on that. one thing i'd change is to move the top attach point of the shoulder straps down about 4 inches, so the top of the pack sits higher. it's a pretty tall pack, and will sit very low if you've got a normal length torso.

if you look at backpack designs, the one thing in common they have is that the bottom of the pack is usually at waist/butt level. if they're taller packs, they'll extend upwards past the shoulders. it makes a big difference in comfort.

Irish
07-29-09, 14:54
John Noveske informed me that the 10.5" Noveske shorty with the KX3 will fit, albeit tightly. Delivery and pricing should be on their website within the week.

Noveske
07-29-09, 15:24
They will be available with and without the logo/name. I only have the logo'd version photographed at this time.

The velcro spot lets you stick whatever you want on it.

We should have pricing and availability on the website by the end of the week.

Thanks,

----John

edmorseiii
07-29-09, 15:30
So when can I pre-order?

Noveske
07-29-09, 17:32
You can email me your name and number. I will write you down on my list.

Thanks,

----John

SeriousStudent
07-29-09, 19:51
Email sent.

bkb0000
07-29-09, 19:53
https://www.m4carbine.net/image.php?u=13&dateline=1151964559

who'd this come out of, John?

ST911
07-29-09, 22:31
They will be available with and without the logo/name. I only have the logo'd version photographed at this time. The velcro spot lets you stick whatever you want on it. We should have pricing and availability on the website by the end of the week. Thanks, ----John

Good news John, thanks for the reply. I'll be getting one.

I like the velcro idea. Adding an entirely non-gun, non-LE, non-industry, uninteresting patch further relegates the pack to some normal purpose.

Will there be additional colors available? I wouldn't mind seeing a color combo that does not include black.

Agile53
07-29-09, 23:20
+1 to Skintop911's above post/comments. Email in for one John, looking forward to your answer for Skintop911's question.
Any chance on the bag up on your site just like it's pictured w/ your logo only?

mpardun
07-30-09, 08:14
Color: MultiCam
Color: FDE + OD Green combo
Perhaps Cross Logo Only
+1 for external velcro: suggest a 6 x 8 patch (versus the smaller Eagle 1.5 x 4)

GREAT idea...I own 3 of your rifles (10.5 SB built by WES at MSTN), N4 basic and Reecce SB LoPro) and welcome your creative ideas, great service and (smart) innovative spirit.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!

PS (off topic): Thanks to Chad for a great N4 Recce Switchblock build in May!

Noveske
07-30-09, 09:58
https://www.m4carbine.net/image.php?u=13&dateline=1151964559

who'd this come out of, John?

This came out of Joel's bear a couple years ago, 250 gr Barnes X in the 458x300 WSM, 2800 fps out of a 16" barrel.

Pretty neat kill.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-30-09, 10:44
I though it was a Buffalo chicken patty with a bite out of it, on top of a big scallop on a pregnant womans stomach.

I really need to stop skipping breakfast.

Looking forward to seeing the bag.

BAC
07-30-09, 11:20
Color: MultiCam
Color: FDE + OD Green combo
+1 for external velcro: suggest a 6 x 8 patch (versus the smaller Eagle 1.5 x 4)

Way to be discrete. :p

-B

rob_s
07-30-09, 11:22
Way to be discrete. :p

-B

Was thinking the exact same thing.

Eagle sells their own "discrete" pack that comes in gray and I'm sure can be had in all manner of HEY LOOK AT ME color patterns.

jaycee
08-03-09, 10:40
John,

Will these retain the metal zipper pulls so one can put a small padlock on it if need be? This of course won't keep anyone out that's determined to look inside, but it works wonders for any curious "looky-lues" out.

Noveske
08-03-09, 12:28
No, 550 cord pulls.

Thanks,

----John

Bowser
08-06-09, 01:48
Any news on this?

scottryan
08-06-09, 11:12

Logo = BLECH.

The general public might not know what Noveske is, but sometimes I need to hide things from law enforcement and security, too. Not to mention other gun owners.

I guarantee that this backpack will appear in a concealement-methods advisory, disseminated through LE channels, just as other similar products have.

Completely agree.

BAC
08-06-09, 12:15
No, 550 cord pulls.

Thanks,

----John

Cool, 'cause I still have a ton of glow in the dark cord ends that I need to find zippers for. :p

I'm not worried that there aren't metal zipper tabs, although they would qualify as more discrete. I don't think I've been anywhere with a backpack that involved the backpack out of my immediate reach, and I don't know of anyone ballsy enough to try to thief a plain looking backpack from someone wearing it. As far as the height/length of the pack goes, it's not carrying any kind of heavy load. Assuming an 8 lb rifle, 3 lbs of water, and 4 lbs for a 3-mag chest rig, you're not talking much weight.

-B

ST911
08-06-09, 21:53
You can email me your name and number. I will write you down on my list. Thanks, ---John

Sent my info.

I'm taking a trip to a land of much grazing and bleating, replete with non-permissive places to carry. Any hope of ordering and getting one by Aug 25?

RojasTKD
08-06-09, 22:12
Very few people know the name "Noveske." When customer come into our shop and ask to see a quality AR, I hand them a Noveske. They hand it back to me as they have never heard of them.

C4

I have to somewhat agree. The average Joe, hell some gun guys even some with AR wouldn't know who Noveske is. Usually the serious and quality gear guy are the one that know about brands like Noveske, BCM and the like.

Now if it said Colt that would be very much associated with firearms.

Besides it's just a backpack you could have anything in it.

That said, I would still like it without the logo. In the end it will likely be too pricey for me anyway.

ST911
08-07-09, 02:38
I have to somewhat agree. The average Joe, hell some gun guys even some with AR wouldn't know who Noveske is. Usually the serious and quality gear guy are the one that know about brands like Noveske, BCM and the like. Now if it said Colt that would be very much associated with firearms. Besides it's just a backpack you could have anything in it. That said, I would still like it without the logo. In the end it will likely be too pricey for me anyway.

I think most of us would agree that the public's ability to pick out such things is often over-estimated. It should not be underestimated or dismissed though, especially by those who need greater amounts of discretion.

I would not expect most folks to know what "Noveske" is. I do know that for some...perhaps even many...such a label creates a unique identifier on an otherwise innocuous looking pack.

As mentioned previously, sometimes folks have a need to hide things from our own...cops, security, and gun nuts.

And as surely as I type this, someone is drafting a concealment methods advisory with information on this pack, as they did with others coming before it.

I'm glad both options are available. Those who want to share their affinity for Noveske's high quality gear will get to do so, and those who want to enjoy that gear on the sly will be able to as well.

scottryan
08-07-09, 11:18
I don't want any label on the backpack.

I do not want to have to explain to anybody what brand that is or where to buy one and have to come up with a story.

I also want that made in regular colors and not camo, tan, etc. I'm really sick and tired of trying to order a discrete bag and have the blue, red, etc be perpetually out of stock and having the camo in stock.

Clue: People don't want camo for discrete bags.

RojasTKD
08-07-09, 13:43
I think most of us would agree that the public's ability to pick out such things is often over-estimated. It should not be underestimated or dismissed though, especially by those who need greater amounts of discretion.

I would not expect most folks to know what "Noveske" is. I do know that for some...perhaps even many...such a label creates a unique identifier on an otherwise innocuous looking pack.

As mentioned previously, sometimes folks have a need to hide things from our own...cops, security, and gun nuts.

And as surely as I type this, someone is drafting a concealment methods advisory with information on this pack, as they did with others coming before it.

I'm glad both options are available. Those who want to share their affinity for Noveske's high quality gear will get to do so, and those who want to enjoy that gear on the sly will be able to as well.

I don't want any label on the backpack.

I do not want to have to explain to anybody what brand that is or where to buy one and have to come up with a story.

I also want that made in regular colors and not camo, tan, etc. I'm really sick and tired of trying to order a discrete bag and have the blue, red, etc be perpetually out of stock and having the camo in stock.

Clue: People don't want camo for discrete bags.

Agreed... I also don't want to pay an arm and a leg for it just because it's for "Firearms".

jaycee
08-07-09, 15:10

Agreed.

This is exactly why I wish packs or bags like this came with the metal tabs on the zippers, so one can throw a small padlock on the zippers. If one simply has to have 550 pulls, it's too easy to snip the metal pulls off and then fasten 550 pulls - at least that gives you an option. It's a little hard to go back and put metal pulls on after they've been snipped off, however, and snipping them off in the first place adds an extra step for the manufacturer, too.

No, a small padlock on a zipper is not going to keep someone out that's determined to get into it, but it's definitely enough to keep nosey supervisors of fellow workers out ot it - it's a sad sign of the times, but THOSE are the people I'm most concerned about.

Some things have gotten TOO tactical :rolleyes: - like "tactical" 550 pulls on load-out bags, of all things. Last time I checked, you don't infil up to your objective with your load-out bag and then suit-up outside of the DB's house. No, you put your gear on before you deploy, or at the very least at a staging area.

It's sad to say, but several times I've returned to work only to find that someone ( whether it was a supervisor or co-worker, who knows) has gone through my duty bag or load-out bag while I was on days off. Hopefully they were just in a big hurry and needed something NOW, but you never know - and then wouldn't it be nice if they came to you afterword and let you know, but I guess that's just asking too much today. However, as previously mentioned, a small padlock is enough to keep these types away.

Just my $.02

QuietShootr
08-07-09, 15:40

Logo = BLECH.

Agreed. I sent an email requesting an unmarked version. I'd like to see it in a darker non-black/non-OD, but non-gay color...something like a subdued navy blue (i.e. not Dillon blue, like the sneaky pack...talk about a visual identifier that's easy to pick out from a distance!) or a forest green of some type.

My wife has a really nice sewing machine that can do embroidery. I'm thinking I might have her use the design software and do a few velcro North Face logos or something, just for stuff like this.

I have a 10.3" that would just be dandy in this pack, but like others, I sometimes want to fly under my fellow good-guys radar too.

jaycee
08-07-09, 15:58
+1 on the Forest Green
+1 on Dark Navy.

militarymoron
08-07-09, 17:03
there's nothing wrong with black. it's so common it's no longer a 'tactical' colour. every civvie backpack or bag manufacturer makes black bags and packs. if it's made in black, it's not going to stand out any more than forest green, burgundy etc.

jaycee
08-07-09, 18:29
there's nothing wrong with black. it's so common it's no longer a 'tactical' colour. every civvie backpack or bag manufacturer makes black bags and packs. if it's made in black, it's not going to stand out any more than forest green, burgundy etc.

I would suggest that this may be more of a personal perception thing, however, I find that an all-black bag stands out just as much, if not more, than an OD or CB bag.

Black combined with other colors, OK, but an all-black bag stands out. Try this simple exercise when school is back in: look at a group of kids walking down the street to or from school, and one of them is carrying an all-black bag, I'm willing to bet a couple pictures of Ulysses S. Grant that the all-black bag is the first one you'll que-in on, and from a farther distance as well.

Irish
08-07-09, 18:47
Try this simple exercise when school is back in: look at a group of kids walking down the street to or from school, and one of them is carrying an all-black bag, I'm willing to bet a couple pictures of Ulysses S. Grant that the all-black bag is the first one you'll que-in on, and from a farther distance as well.
Try this simple exercise: Walk through an airport and look at the color of the bags most adults are carrying. Answer: Black ;)

jaycee
08-07-09, 18:55
Try this simple exercise: Walk through an airport and look at the color of the bags most adults are carrying. Answer: Black ;)

Black luggage, yes, I'll give you that, but not backpacks.

I guess I'm showing my age - by "kids" I wasn't referring to grade school, I was thinking more of the university-age "kids".

Carry an AR low profile in many airports, do we ? :)

Irish
08-07-09, 19:01
I'm not telling ;) But I do travel alot in airports and see lots & lots of computer backpacks that people carry and typically they are black. Targus comes to mind along with Samsonite and Swiss Army and most are black... difference of opinion on our part and no big deal. Have a good weekend, mine's starting soon :D

scottryan
08-07-09, 19:40

You are wrong. The poster about the black backpacks is correct.

They are easy to spot.

scottryan
08-07-09, 19:43
Forest Green
Navy Blue
Two Tone Gray

Should be the colors.

Irish
08-07-09, 20:14
You are wrong. The poster about the black backpacks is correct.

They are easy to spot.

Find something better to do.

ST911
08-07-09, 20:38
I travel quite a bit. I've spent a lot of time in airports, as well as on the campus of a major metro university with tens of thousands of students. I've watched a number of folks, deliberately, to see and contemplate what they wear and carry. Example: jeans vs. khaki cargos, bag types and colors, and combinations of stuff. It was a lot more interesting and informative than you'd think, and it helped kill a lot of time.

Pertinent to the topic here: All-black bags: Seen on laptop cases, briefcases, and the rolling carry-ons. Not seen much on backpacks, except with .mil and .gov-looking types.

Black as an included color in other stuff is reasonably common. It is also more distinct than other colors, with the possible exceptions of certain fluorescing colors and pastels.

The most obviously "civilian" bags were decidedly non-mil colors, greens (esp brighter, forest greens and limes), reds, whites, oranges, light blues, etc.

It isn't called "target indicator black" for nothing.

If it's all-black, add a logo patch or something like it. Be able to change it for the venue of use.

Gray is a great color for blending. Flat, neutral, non-contrasting with others in play, and readily adaptable. (I'm particularly fond of the gray hue of my Eagle E&E and LE Courier bags.)

Anything with PALS sticks out like a sore thumb. This isn't a big deal for the general population, but even your lowest common denominator mil member, cop, security guard, or TSA employee can key in on it for association.

I don't have an opinion on metal pull tabs vs. paracord.

Not everyone will give this stuff that much thought. Most don't. Some need to, to avoid getting caught. Some need to, to do the catching.

Not many manufacturers truly give it much thought either. (No swipe at Noveske, just a general observation.)

edmorseiii
08-07-09, 20:45
Find something better to do.

haha, I was thinking the same thing. :rolleyes:

militarymoron
08-07-09, 20:48
I would suggest that this may be more of a personal perception thing, however, I find that an all-black bag stands out just as much, if not more, than an OD or CB bag.

Black combined with other colors, OK, but an all-black bag stands out. Try this simple exercise when school is back in: look at a group of kids walking down the street to or from school, and one of them is carrying an all-black bag, I'm willing to bet a couple pictures of Ulysses S. Grant that the all-black bag is the first one you'll que-in on, and from a farther distance as well.

might be personal perception, but i'll have to disagree about the all-black bag standing out more than an OD or CB bag in public. remember that the 'standing-out' i'm referring to is not how well the colour blends with a background, but how common it is in public. OD and CB are not common civvie colours - black is. do a quick search of civilian backpack manufacturers and OD is uncommon, and CB is even more so.

i see a lot of black backpacks being used by high-school and older kids. not so much OD. never CB. go to a sporting good store - you'll always find something in basic black.
an all-black pack might be less common on middle school kids who want bright colours, but not amongst adults.

jaycee
08-07-09, 21:25
might be personal perception, but i'll have to disagree about the all-black bag standing out more than an OD or CB bag in public. remember that the 'standing-out' i'm referring to is not how well the colour blends with a background, but how common it is in public. OD and CB are not common civvie colours - black is. do a quick search of civilian backpack manufacturers and OD is uncommon, and CB is even more so.

i see a lot of black backpacks being used by high-school and older kids. not so much OD. never CB. go to a sporting good store - you'll always find something in basic black.
an all-black pack might be less common on middle school kids who want bright colours, but not amongst adults.

The "standing out" I refer to is not how many people use a certain color - it's how the eye is drawn to certain colors.... and well...., black just stands out.

My idea of "low profile" is something that you don't give a second thought to. Even better yet, something that doesn't make you look at it in the first place. Like others have said and I have alluded to, black combined with other colors is great -all black stands out like a sore thumb.

militarymoron
08-07-09, 21:44
i do agree about what the idea of 'low profile' is. we'll just agree to disagree about black backpacks for adults.

k_cheerangie
08-07-09, 23:59
If anyone on this forum or any other of the type can spot one of these packs, then guess what it ain't f*****g low profile people.:D

scottryan
08-08-09, 11:51

We never said we wanted OD and CB. We don't want those colors. And we also never said it stood out more than OD and CB. I don't know how you inferred that from out posts.

We also don't want all black. Most students to not have all black backpacks.

militarymoron
08-08-09, 14:32
i never said that you wanted CB or OD for the noveske bag. how did you infer that from my posts? i was replying to this comment - does it not infer that black stands out more than OD or CB? how would you interpret it?

I find that an all-black bag stands out just as much, if not more, than an OD or CB bag.

i understand you don't want an OD or CB noveske pack - neither would i. all i'm saying is that black as the main colour for a noveske pack isn't a bad thing as it's a very common colour for packs. i wouldn't avoid a black noveske pack for fear of it standing out as something unusual.

observer
08-08-09, 15:16
If anyone on this forum or any other of the type can spot one of these packs, then guess what it ain't f*****g low profile people.:D

Watch those who do the catching. Bags are an indicator, any bag. Especially combined with a persons behavior. Behavior is more important than what you carry. Doesn't matter what you carry your toys in, just carry things discreetly by your actions (and "discreet cases" really don't count).

"Geardos" of all types wear lots of labeled crud, (hats, t's, polos, bags) to be easily identified by other "geardos" who will know the name or item. This covers computer geeks, golf geeks, car geeks, gadget geeks, knife geeks & and the watch and small tech geeks that wear their gear on their belts or on their wrists. Most people will overlook those things, the geardo groups will home in on it (think multiple cell phones, Rolexs, net books, Omegas, Perrin bracelets, Ti rings, certain neck items, body piercing, types of tech bags etc.) .

Incidentally, all my winter sports gear has some sort of black or OD green on it.... started with snow boarding a few years ago, and hit mountain biking a while back as well. I have also seen versions of sporterized old school urban, winter, digital, and multicam on peoples gear as accent to or accented with base colors of white, tan, black and even pink...... any one think others are worrying about minutia yet?

jaycee
08-08-09, 19:20
i never said that you wanted CB or OD for the noveske bag. how did you infer that from my posts? i was replying to this comment - does it not infer that black stands out more than OD or CB? how would you interpret it?

i understand you don't want an OD or CB noveske pack - neither would i. all i'm saying is that black as the main colour for a noveske pack isn't a bad thing as it's a very common colour for packs. i wouldn't avoid a black noveske pack for fear of it standing out as something unusual.

I don't see where anyone has inferred that black as a main colour for a Neveske pack is a bad thing - I've been saying all along that black as the ONLY colour of a low-profile pack or bag is a bad idea, because in my experience, all-black packs draw the eye to them. And a colour that naturally draws one's attention, is in my opinion, a bad thing when one is trying to be low profile. Now that someone's attention has been drawn to the pack, other things may start to register, and it goes downhill from there. Packs that have black as ONE of their colours are very common, however, all-black packs (unlike laptop cases or luggage) are more seldom seen. And yes, several manufacturers offer all-black packs, however, they are generally a small percentage of their line.

militarymoron
08-08-09, 20:04
"I don't see where anyone has inferred that black as a main colour for a Neveske pack is a bad thing".

you got to read the posts more carefully. my inital comment on black was in response to this comment:

I'd like to see it in a darker non-black/non-OD, but non-gay color...

"And yes, several manufacturers offer all-black packs, however, they are generally a small percentage of their line."
ano ONE colour is generally going to be a small percentage of the line, not the majority. that goes without saying.

jaycee
08-09-09, 15:57
"I don't see where anyone has inferred that black as a main colour for a Neveske pack is a bad thing".

you got to read the posts more carefully. my inital comment on black was in response to this comment:

Fair enough. However, your other posts come across as referring to mono-coloured black packs.

"And yes, several manufacturers offer all-black packs, however, they are generally a small percentage of their line."
ano ONE colour is generally going to be a small percentage of the line, not the majority. that goes without saying.

Agreed, and it also goes without saying that all-black, or mono-coloured black packs are far outnumbered by packs that are other colours or are combined with black, which tends not to draw the eye near as much as the mono-coloured version.

ST911
08-09-09, 17:25
Useful exercise:

Go to a venue with decent crowds and foot traffic. Take photos of groups as they stand or pass. Look at them carefully later, noting what distinctions are immediately and less apparent.

Repeat the examination, using folks who aren't geardos or otherwise predisposed to look for the things you're looking for.

militarymoron
08-09-09, 18:03
Agreed, and it also goes without saying that all-black, or mono-coloured black packs are far outnumbered by packs that are other colours or are combined with black, which tends not to draw the eye near as much as the mono-coloured version.

the same logic applies to any other colour. therefore, it seems that no ONE choice will outnumber the rest - but will it? by the way, no where in my posts do i reference all-black or mono-coloured back packs. you just assumed that.

most manufacturers will offer black as the base colour as an option, more than any other one colour. if you look for one common backpack colour that's offered by most companies, it'll most often be black.
for example, if i google 'oakley pack', on google images - take a look at the first page results. i'm not even including the word 'black'. 18 out of the 20 images are of black-based packs.
googling 'jansport backpack' - 5 out of 20 photos include black packpacks. only blue comes close with 4 images.
google 'northface backpack' and which colour shows up in the images more than any other one? black. four of them are all-black packs.
googling the word 'backpack' returns 10 out of 20 images with black packs in them.
no other single colour shows up in the searches in the frequency that black does. why not? because it's a common, universal colour.
again, it's just my personal opinion that black is one of the most COMMON colour for packs to be offered in (mono or combined), and that it's no higher profile than any other other colour in an urban environment. if you feel differently, that's fine. we're all entitled to our opinions.

jwinch2
08-10-09, 17:18
Was thinking the exact same thing.

Eagle sells their own "discrete" pack that comes in gray and I'm sure can be had in all manner of HEY LOOK AT ME color patterns.

Rob,

Which pack are you referring to? I was on the eagle website and didn't really see much that could pass as discrete with the exception of this one...

http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php?productid=16257&cat=60&page=1

The only other one that i could find was not listed on the Eagle page anymore which makes me think it might have been discontinued.

http://www.bluelinegear.com/p-419-eagle-discreet-short-barrel-rifle-backpack.aspx

Cheers,

Irish
08-10-09, 17:44
Here ya go http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php?productid=16249&cat=72&page=1

jwinch2
08-10-09, 17:57
Here ya go http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php?productid=16249&cat=72&page=1

Thanks. That brings up a question, is it legal?

In Virginia a CCW is called a "concealed handgun permit" which would, at least based on the name, preclude the carrying of a SBR or other carbine in concealed fashion.

JSantoro
08-10-09, 22:24
There are mitigating factors regarding what is considered concealed carry, like having a cased weapon when going to or coming from a range facility.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm#APermitisNotNecessaryintheFollowingCircumstances

# Any regularly enrolled member of a target shooting organization who is at, or going to or from, an established shooting range, provided that the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

# Any regularly enrolled member of a weapons collecting organization who is at, or going to or from, a bona fide weapons exhibition, provided that the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

# Any person carrying such weapons between his place of abode and a place of purchase or repair, provided the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

Certainly, the above is open to interpretation. I interpret it to mean that having it in my man-purse is okay, being securely wrapped in such a way that I can't readily get to it, with the ammo in another closed container.

Otherwise...Virginia is an open-carry commonwealth. You buys your ticket, you takes your chances.

Noveske
08-11-09, 11:30
The backpack is only going to be available in two versions for now.

Black and red as pictured on the website with the name and logo,

Grey and Red with no logo or name, but with the velcro patch to mark it as you wish.

These are 5 weeks out, and $225 retail, Mil/LE a little less.

If anyone wants to get on the list, please email me your name and phone number. Over a third of the production is spoken for at this time.

Thanks,

----John

ST911
08-11-09, 12:55
The backpack is only going to be available in two versions for now.

Black and red as pictured on the website with the name and logo,

Grey and Red with no logo or name, but with the velcro patch to mark it as you wish.

These are 5 weeks out, and $225 retail, Mil/LE a little less.

If anyone wants to get on the list, please email me your name and phone number. Over a third of the production is spoken for at this time.

Thanks,

----John

John- Can you post a pic of the gray and red bag?

If you're using the same hue of gray that Eagle includes in their SBR, E&E, and LE Courier bags, I can't think of anything but: WIN

I'm anxious to see and use this pack.

Example of the gray I'm talking about...

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/Skintop911/Eagle%20EE%20Bag/IMG_5497.jpg

ST911
09-30-09, 13:48
Bump for update?

Agile53
11-02-09, 22:07
Like Skintop stated 30+ days ago, bump for an update

ST911
11-06-09, 13:47
ALCON- A couple of other group members and I have heard from Noveske. They are waiting on Eagle. "Any day" is the word. "Any day" was the word last month, but here's hoping.

Unfortunate delays, but comms from Noveske have been excellent as usual. Good stuff is worth waiting for.

Spade
11-06-09, 14:26
ALCON- A couple of other group members and I have heard from Noveske. They are waiting on Eagle. "Any day" is the word. "Any day" was the word last month, but here's hoping.

Unfortunate delays, but comms from Noveske have been excellent as usual. Good stuff is worth waiting for.

Thanks for the update.

Pk14
11-06-09, 17:33
Thanks for the info update, Skintop - between this and the soon to arrive 10.5 railed Switchblock N4, the SBR kit is looking good! (Noveske's Website graphic "She can wait" is not what CinCHouse needs to see right before Christmas...but oh so true!)

Pk

dbrowne1
11-07-09, 10:41
Thanks. That brings up a question, is it legal?

In Virginia a CCW is called a "concealed handgun permit" which would, at least based on the name, preclude the carrying of a SBR or other carbine in concealed fashion.

You may be right, though it's not as obvious an answer as you might think in Virginia.

You'd be allowed to carry it openly, certainly, though you'd get a lot of unwanted attention and people seldom do this outside of hunting, in the middle of nowhere.

The Code says you can't carry concealed "any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material ..."

So if read literally, it would be illegal to carry any firearm of any kind concealed. The permit, as you say, applies only to handguns, which are defined as follows:

"Handgun" means any pistol or revolver or other firearm, except a machine gun, originally designed, made and intended to fire a projectile by means of an explosion of a combustible material from one or more barrels when held in one hand.

Agile53
11-23-09, 14:20
The Nov/Eagle BPs are in stock, listed on their site & ready to ship.
Two choices here, marked or unmarked but either way FS @ $195.
Glad they are in & even better at the lower price point of $195.

usmcvet
11-23-09, 20:11
The Nov/Eagle BPs are in stock, listed on their site & ready to ship.
Two choices here, marked or unmarked but either way FS @ $195.
Glad they are in & even better at the lower price point of $195.

Thanks for the Recon, I think I checked yesterday and might have missed out!

SeriousStudent
11-23-09, 20:30
Mine's on it's way, I ordered a unmarked one.

I got on the pre-order list, and even received a heads-up call from John Noveske himself! Such service! :)

If you read this thread, thanks very much. I ordered a pair of mugs as well - they will make nice stocking stuffers for those who appreciate the nicer things in life.

That go bang. :D

I'll take and post some pics when it comes in, with different carbines and gear stuffed into it.

usmcvet
11-24-09, 13:22
They are out of stock again. I ordered one last night will post pictures with my rifle asap.

SeriousStudent
12-02-09, 18:39
I got my unmarked one tonight. Two thumbs up. I'll post more, with photos, in a bit.

It shows the typical high standards of a Eagle build. Nicely made, well-sewn, very solid.

I like the muzzle cover, and the retaining system is very nice. It's not a velcro band, like I was expecting. It's a system of bungee elastic cords, with a pair of Fastex type connectors. I have not seen these before, but already like it.

I have a pretty bulky carbine broken down in it now, and it fits very well.

Well-thought out, well made, and the money is in there. Not a cheap bag, but I'm not going to put a $3,500 carbine in a potato sack, either.

Heading over to a friend's house to shoot some photos. I'll fling it around a bit as well.

Many thanks to John and Sheri! :D

Jason_R
12-02-09, 19:15
What we need is a bag with two compartments so I can open it and get my regular stuff without anyone seeing a rifle...

Good idea, and without a giant Noveske logo.

usmcvet
12-03-09, 16:00
I got my unmarked one tonight. Two thumbs up. I'll post more, with photos, in a bit.

It shows the typical high standards of a Eagle build. Nicely made, well-sewn, very solid.

I like the muzzle cover, and the retaining system is very nice. It's not a velcro band, like I was expecting. It's a system of bungee elastic cords, with a pair of Fastex type connectors. I have not seen these before, but already like it.

I have a pretty bulky carbine broken down in it now, and it fits very well.

Well-thought out, well made, and the money is in there. Not a cheap bag, but I'm not going to put a $3,500 carbine in a potato sack, either.

Heading over to a friend's house to shoot some photos. I'll fling it around a bit as well.

Many thanks to John and Sheri! :D

The pack is made very well.

Have you tried an SBR in it? My SBR with an LMT 10.5" upper, commercial tube and CTR will not fit? I just wanted to know if there was a trick to it.

SeriousStudent
12-03-09, 19:37

Have you tried an SBR in it? My SBR with an LMT 10.5" upper, commercial tube and CTR will not fit? I just wanted to know if there was a trick to it.

I have not tried an SBR in it, as I do not own one yet.

That's interesting to note that yours will not fit. I am putting together the cash for a 12.5" Noveske Crusader upper with a Switchblock. I was hoping to be able to place it in this case assembled. But I am thinking the Crusader will be a skoosh too long.

I just did some measurements, and it looks like the height of the backpack main compartment is right at 26 inches. So I would think yours would be a tight squeeze, depending on what FH/comp/brake you were using.

It's not a huge deal for me. I'm an old fossil, and will not be leaping off the back ramp of a C-130 with it. :p I'm more concerned with concealment and protection of the carbine inside, than its speed of use.

Are you using a long Surefire or AAC mount? I have a 6920 upper with a PWS FSC556 comp that just fits inside.

ETA: I'm no expert, but I thought a commercial receiver extension had the same length, but a different external diameter than a military RE. But I could be totally wrong, and frequently am, in the words of my children. ;)

usmcvet
12-03-09, 20:08
I have not tried an SBR in it, as I do not own one yet.

That's interesting to note that yours will not fit. I am putting together the cash for a 12.5" Noveske Crusader upper with a Switchblock. I was hoping to be able to place it in this case assembled. But I am thinking the Crusader will be a skoosh too long.

I just did some measurements, and it looks like the height of the backpack main compartment is right at 26 inches. So I would think yours would be a tight squeeze, depending on what FH/comp/brake you were using.

It's not a huge deal for me. I'm an old fossil, and will not be leaping off the back ramp of a C-130 with it. :p I'm more concerned with concealment and protection of the carbine inside, than its speed of use.

Are you using a long Surefire or AAC mount? I have a 6920 upper with a PWS FSC556 comp that just fits inside.

ETA: I'm no expert, but I thought a commercial receiver extension had the same length, but a different external diameter than a military RE. But I could be totally wrong, and frequently am, in the words of my children. ;)

I'm using an A2 flash hider. The add said: "The Concealed Carry Backpack is designed to hold a completely assembled and loaded rifle 27" or shorter." and shorter but looks like you said it's only 26" Hmm. I'm sure I will figure it out.

SeriousStudent
12-03-09, 20:39
Hmmmm.

A pretty unscientific measurement on my part. I just stuffed a tape measure in there, and ran from seam to seam. I am betting you could squeeze another inch in there.

I measured the length of my 6920 upper, with the FSC556 on it, and it's 24.75 inches long.

All in all, I am really pleased with it. It's really solid, and I was actually throwing it around the room today, to see if I could make it shift inside. Held up just fine.

usmcvet
12-03-09, 23:18
My gun is 27" and a fat 1/8" Looks like it will fit if I take the rubber butt pad off my CTR. The pack is just as advertised! Just checked Magpul's web site

Most commercial tubes are longer than
standard mil-spec tubes, and often have a
slanted back. All Commercial CTR stocks come
with a spacer buttpad installed, as this is
required for use with most commercial tubes.

Well here is another reason to go "Mil-Spec"

SeriousStudent
12-04-09, 00:34
Kewl! And thanks for teaching me about receiver extensions. Hehehe! :)

I've been using mil-spec ones on all my builds, and now I know why I was so enlightened! (snicker)

So how long did it take a pair of jarheads to figure this out? All night? :p

usmcvet
12-04-09, 00:41
It can be Painfull @ times! The tape measure did not lie!

userids
05-27-11, 06:16
The noveske backpack is available now!

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=backpack&cat=151&page=1&search&since&status

fourXfour
07-20-11, 11:14
Will these be going back into production anytime soon?

fourXfour
08-11-11, 20:31
It looks like they are back in stock and I now have one! They no longer have the Noveske emblem on the front. So far a really nice bag. My castle rock bag tactical bag is great for my ARs. Holds six mags and is perfect for breaking down a 16 inch AR. I can squeeze all my ammo and range gear in it.

The Noveske is a little more adaptable to different weapon systems. My partner at work is issued an MP5 and was eyeing the bag. Which makes sense, if he was to use the the castle rock, he would have to possibly take off his Aimpoint. The bag looks to be perfect for an SBR with an optic. I have a KSG on order and that would probably fit in it pretty nicely.

compared to castle rock
http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/edmateo50/IMG_0096.jpg

broken down M&P 15-22 (sorry, everything else is at work)
http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/edmateo50/IMG_0099.jpg

I was surprised to see that the front pocket was kind of small.
http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/edmateo50/IMG_0097.jpg