PDA

View Full Version : My backyard RA45T-Enhanced tests

WS6
07-28-09, 22:52
Here is just some of my testing with the new-gen RA45T-Enhanced. LOTS nastier than the older stuff! I tested it in water jugs and soaked phone-books as noted in the pictures. I did not soak the phone-books properly, only gave them 1 hour to soak. I was impatient. Anyways, the projectiles performed stellar, imho.
http://i30.tinypic.com/4fxtao.jpg
http://i26.tinypic.com/2w7pd36.jpg
^2 different bullets, very similar. I scanned them on my scanner (reason for poor depth) and positioned them so.
Best bullet measured 1.041" x 1.035" x 1.025" tip-to-tip and .434" high per my Midway calipers.

DocGKR
07-28-09, 23:00
The following thread may be helpful in correctly recording parameters of recovered projectiles: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=26028

WS6
07-28-09, 23:04
The following thread may be helpful in correctly recording parameters of recovered projectiles: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=26028

THANKS! And I will ship the ammo tomorrow, barring fate. That way we can get some REAL results!

.542" x 1.041" is the large/small diameter. Averaged, this is: 0.7915" Still rather robust! Winchester says on their product info sheet that it penetrates around 11.3-11.9" in gel (IWBA and bare). I don't have any idea about penetration, but my expansion numbers are within a few hundredths of theirs, so I figure a .75-.8" RD avg. penetrating almost 12" is rather effective!

Assuming 11.3" penetration and .7915" avg. dia. , do I understand that this round has crushed 18.6cm^3 (I subtracted 2" of penetration from the equation as I assumed the bullet was not fully expanded by then, also, I did not factor that 2" at .451 either. I just eliminated it. I know, not the most accurate, but @20cm^3 crushed tissue sound right for these numbers?

Wayne Dobbs
07-29-09, 09:46
Where did you obtain the new RA45T ammo?

WS6
07-29-09, 12:08
Where did you obtain the new RA45T ammo?

OMB express. Bought 2 cases :)

Terminal Effect
07-29-09, 14:39
WS6,

thank you for your pictures. They speak for themselves, although they are not BG tests.

Please tell me if this is a completely new projectile and if an enhanced version of the 147grain RA9T exists yet?

Could you also be so kind to add a lot number of the enhanced round/s?

Thank you.

PS no, my sig line is not an indicator of my opinion of terminal ballistics/ammo selection nuances . ;)

WS6
07-29-09, 15:43
WS6,

thank you for your pictures. They speak for themselves, although they are not BG tests.

Please tell me if this is a completely new projectile and if an enhanced version of the 147grain RA9T exists yet?

Could you also be so kind to add a lot number of the enhanced round/s?

Thank you.

PS no, my sig line is not an indicator of my opinion of terminal ballistics/ammo selection nuances . ;)

RA9T is the only round that was not revised. Lot numbers remain the same as before. The disguishing characteristic is that instead of the box reading "Ranger SXT" it reads "T-Series".

urbankaos04
07-30-09, 00:21
RA9T is the only round that was not revised. Lot numbers remain the same as before. The disguishing characteristic is that instead of the box reading "Ranger SXT" it reads "T-Series".

And from what I understand they didn't change RA9T because the current design is good to go as is. :D

Terminal Effect
07-30-09, 07:33
OK, that's kind of what I thought.
Does Doc concur?

WS6
07-30-09, 10:52
And from what I understand they didn't change RA9T because the current design is good to go as is. :D

Or sales don't warrent it. I dunno. I would defer to an insider in the Olin corporation for info like that.

Rampant Colt
07-30-09, 22:54
I thought the jury was still out on this ammo due to unresolved underpenetration issues..??

WS6
07-30-09, 23:57
I thought the jury was still out on this ammo due to unresolved underpenetration issues..??

According to Winchester, it penetrates 11.3-11.9" Not the magic 12", but good enough for me.