PDA

View Full Version : Terror Suspects

DragonDoc
07-29-09, 07:01
While looking at the story LittleBobowski posted I noticed this on CNN's site.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/07/28/north.carolina.terrorism.charges/index.html?iref=werecommend

There wasn't much information given about this story but some of the things that CNN emphasized make me a little worried. A person could interpret this story to read military-like training + firearms training=Jihad/terror training. I hope that the Federal government isn't heading in this direction. How do you all interpret this story?

larry0071
07-29-09, 07:13
The defendants, with a substantial cache of weapons, had "practiced military tactics and use of weapons on private property in Caswell County, North Carolina, in June and July 2009," the indictment said.

If that is part of what makes up a bad guy, many folks in the USA are bad. Owning firearms and employing them in practical self defense training on private property is something that a great deal of good Americans do frequently.

O.O :eek:

John_Wayne777
07-29-09, 08:13
While looking at the story LittleBobowski posted I noticed this on CNN's site.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/07/28/north.carolina.terrorism.charges/index.html?iref=werecommend

There wasn't much information given about this story but some of the things that CNN emphasized make me a little worried. A person could interpret this story to read military-like training + firearms training=Jihad/terror training. I hope that the Federal government isn't heading in this direction. How do you all interpret this story?

At some point I fully expect an attempt to ban firearms training because of "terrorism" concerns.

Safetyhit
07-29-09, 09:07
At some point I fully expect an attempt to ban firearms training because of "terrorism" concerns.

These guys are hard core scum and drew attention to themselves. Maybe not in their immediate community, but certainly legally with their anti-semitic behavior and travel abroad to train and fight. Same with the guys from here that wanted to hit Ft Dix to an extent. I'm glad the government found these maniacs.

I am as worried about the far left as any here, but do we not want people like this rounded up regardless?

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-29-09, 09:16
I noticed it with that attempt for the pizza delivery guys to attack the base in NJ(?). The office supply store guy saw the videos of them running and jumping, shooting guns, and workng drills. I joked with my buddies that we were an "Allah Akbar" way from them. Now obviously, there was a lot more there, but that was enough to trigger an investigation. There are more than a few people here, especially taken out of context, that might look a bit dangerous, to the media.

You can have guns, you just can't train with them to shoot people is what I guess it will come to. Long live Zombie training!

Ash Hess
07-29-09, 09:46
I am sure some of us have been looked at and not even know it. It's more of a question of what your intentions are. I don't think the "black helicopters" are going to drop in on a Vicker's class. Unless, of course, the guys in that class have made it known they are against the normal flow of things. But I have learned that if you train like a "terrorist", talk like a "terrorist" the chances are you Are a "terrorist"
And someday someone will get whats known to the Army as PID, and smoke you

LOKNLOD
07-29-09, 09:50
No surprise at all....
There is a large segment of the public that can't understand why we want any guns, and especially those "assault weapons" that are "just good for killing people". I definitely don't expect them to have a clue why I'd want to pay $500 to spend a weekend and $1000 worth of ammo developing skills in what really boils down to shooting (bad) people as efficiently as possible.

These people already can't discriminate good from bad except on the basis of how scary an inanimate object happens to look. The concepts of training, mindset, etc. as we talk about on this board are so far outside their worldview that it might as well be in Klingon. They can't see anything but "scary folks with scary guns doing scary things".

Heck, even some fellow gun owners, who would rabidly defend the 2nd amendment in most all circumstances, will look at you like there's a 3rd arm growing out of your forehead when you describe a typical carbine class.

A coworker and gun owner who wants me to take him to the range, flat out told me "you guys need to be locked up", only half jokingly, when i showed him some AOTTCI clips on my Iphone. I set him straight pretty quickly, I think.

John_Wayne777
07-29-09, 10:02
I am as worried about the far left as any here, but do we not want people like this rounded up regardless?

The general pattern in American history works like this:

A couple of bad people do or plan to do something nefarious using X or Y. They are caught.

X or Y begin to draw suspicion and then ultimately stringent regulation.

It happened in 1934.
It happened in 1968.
It happened in 1994.

Firearms training is no different. Even today there are some POLICE DEPARTMENTS where you are seen as some sort of Tackleberry/Rambo wannabe if you attend training on your own dime or on your own time...and the police are supposed to kill people.

Our government is frequently suspicious of the wrong people. Remember back to the Clinton era when knowledgeable, hard-working people in agencies like the FBI were screaming about the dangers of Islamic terrorism while Clinton appointees focused their time and attention on other groups who didn't turn out to be nearly as dangerous as the Islamic terrorists.

At some point I fully expect there to be attempts to regulate access to firearms training and to regulate the content of firearms training. These attempts will *not* be motivated by legitimate concerns about terrorism, but will be *sold* as measures meant to prevent terrorist attacks.

Safetyhit
07-29-09, 10:25
The general pattern in American history works like this:

A couple of bad people do or plan to do something nefarious using X or Y. They are caught.

X or Y begin to draw suspicion and then ultimately stringent regulation.

...At some point I fully expect there to be attempts to regulate access to firearms training and to regulate the content of firearms training. These attempts will *not* be motivated by legitimate concerns about terrorism, but will be *sold* as measures meant to prevent terrorist attacks.

I agree. I also agree that absolutely nothing good can come of this from that logical perspective.

Of course, the exact same logic could be used when some loser shoots up a neighborhood with an "assault rifle". A bad man uses one for something bad, so they all need to go.

We are really already fighting this battle, just on another front.