PDA

View Full Version : ACRONYMS and ABBREVIATIONS

OldNavyGuy
07-29-09, 10:05
why are there so damn many ACRONYMS and ABBREVIATIONS showing up in nearly every post in all forums here lately, are people too damn lazy to type out the part, company or product name ?? come on folks we all are not mind readers, i know there are folks new to this "hobby" for most of us, who are too embarrassed to ask what this or that means.

Admin./Mods.., would it be possible for an ACRONYMS and/or ABBREVIATIONS expert to post these A&A's (ACRONYMS and/or ABBREVIATIONS) and put them up as a, "Sticky" = "a permanent post for pertinent & useful information"

thank you all for the following SAB&P's :D ;)

meisterhau
07-29-09, 12:18
When I worked offshore (oil/gas), we actually generated the BBA (called "the Bubba"), which was the Book of Buzzwords and Acronyms.

It was really useful.

While it did contain things like BOP - blow out preventor, it also contained things like HHH - hard hat hair.

ZDL
07-29-09, 12:19

Boomer10
07-29-09, 12:46
why are there so damn many ACRONYMS and ABBREVIATIONS showing up in nearly every post in all forums here lately, are people too damn lazy to type out the part, company or product name ?? come on folks we all are not mind readers, i know there are folks new to this "hobby" for most of us, who are too embarrassed to ask what this or that means.

Admin./Mods.., would it be possible for an ACRONYMS and/or ABBREVIATIONS expert to post these A&A's (ACRONYMS and/or ABBREVIATIONS) and put them up as a, "Sticky" = "a permanent post for pertinent & useful information"

thank you all for the following SAB&P's :D ;)

I agree. WTF can't ppl spell things out these days?!?

Sorry ONG, I couldn't resist! ;)

Seriously, I really do agree. It doesn't take but a couple of extra movements in the fingers to spell things out properly.

LOKNLOD
07-29-09, 13:56
Here's a start. I tried to stick to relevant stuff, not random internet lingo and text-speak. Unfortunately it doesn't format well in the forum text box...

A4gery Semi-Auto AR pattern rifle configured to resemble an issued M16A4 Rifle
AAR After Action Report
ACOG Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight
AK Generic for any Kalashnikov pattern rifle
AR Generic for a rifle in the M-16/AR-15 family of weapons
BBL Barrel
BC Ballistic Coefficient
BCG Bolt Carrier Group
BCM Bravo Company Manufacturing
BFG Blue Force Gear
BOB Bug Out Bag, OR Bail Out Bag
BOV Bug Out Vehicle
BUIS Back Up Iron Sight
CDD Charles Daley Defense
CH Charging Handle
CHF Cold Hammer Forged
CMT Continental Machine Tool
CQB Close Quarters Battle
CQC Close Quarters Combat
DD Daniel Defense
DI Direct Impingement
DMR Designated Marksman Rifle
FA Full Auto, OR Forward Assist
FCG Fire Control Group
FH Flash Hider
FOW Family of Weapons
FS Flash Suppressor, OR For Sale
FSB Front Sight Base
GB Gas Block
GP General Purpose, OR Gas Piston
HG Handguards
KAC Knight's Armament Company
LMT Lewis Machine and Tool
LNIB Like new in Box
LPK Lower Parts Kit
LT Larue Tactical
M4C M4Carbine.net (not a new rifle variant!)
M4gery Semi-Auto AR pattern rifle configured to resemble an issued M4 Carbine
Mag Magazine, OR Magnification (related to optics)
MG Machine Gun
MIM Metal Injection Molding
NIB New in Box
OAL Overall Length
PG Pistol Grip
QD Quick Detach
RDS Red Dot Sight
RRA Rock River Arms
SBR Short Barreled Rifle
SBS Short Barreled Shotgun
SDM Squad Designated Marksman
SME Subject Matter Expert
SPR Special Purpose Rifle
TD TangoDown
TOS The Other Site, referring to AR15.com
VCAS Vickers Combat Applications Sling (Larry Vickers' sling design as manufactured by Blue Force Gear)
VFG Vertical Forward Grip
VTAC Viking Tactics (Kyle Lamb's company)
WTB Want to Buy
WTF What the F*ck?
WTS Want to Sell
WTT Want to Trade

PRGGodfather
07-29-09, 13:57
FWIW, IDK why, but acronyms sure can be a PITA. It makes me LOL, but it's a sure sign of the TEOTWAWKI.

TTFN,
PRG

LOKNLOD
07-29-09, 14:02
FWIW, IDK why, but acronyms sure can be a PITA. It makes me LOL, but it's a sure sign of the TEOTWAWKI.

TTFN,
PRG

OMG ROTFLMAO
PRG FTW!

Translation:
Alas! I find that to be quite humorous and am displaying my amusement in a rather animated fashion. This commentary has been most successful in delighting my sense of humor.

JimmyB62
07-29-09, 14:34
What really drives me nuts is when someone uses an acronymn but make a typo. Then I have no idea what they're trying to say and I can't help but try to guess for the next five minutes. Ahhhhhhhh...................:p

hpower1
07-29-09, 14:39