PDA

View Full Version : Range Noise Reduction Product: Phonstop

Wayne Dobbs
07-30-09, 14:28
Guys,

My old department, from which I retired, has been in the middle of serious problems with a newly constructed range. They likely tried to shortcut some things that have now come back on them and they have ventilation issues and noise reduction issues, which have resulted in the shutdown of the facility until the problems are handled. I'm not going to deal with the ventilation, but an acoustic consultant they've hired has recommended the installation of a product called "Phonstop" to alleviate the noise issues.

Do any of you have experience with this product on your ranges or know of anybody who has? If you do, please advise, either in a post or if you want, PM or email me.

Thanks,

Wayne

Carne Frio
07-30-09, 19:52
Go here: http://www.illbruck-sonex.com/products_phonstop.php
:D

Wayne Dobbs
07-31-09, 10:01
I've looked at the website and while they have a nice display, I want to see if somebody in the real world has some experience/knowledge of the product in actual use. I'm also concerned that range use seems to be an afterthought in their presentation.

dhrith
07-31-09, 20:53
We use similar stuff in my line of work/company for some of our automotive testing. Acoustic foam is generally insanely effective. Issues I'd be leery of though are lead dust accumulation and durability of knuckleheads on the range for whatever reason (brass pickup, sweeping, etc) brushing against it on a daily or weekly basis. If the company rep can address these issues in and honest and trustworthy sounding response I'd definitely recommend it.

OH, I just thought of one thing, I don't know what the cost of this stuff is now a days but if it's come down enough you could contemplate a full replacement every other year or so, that might take care of any worries from the two issues I mentioned.

edit #2, ;p I just re-read the detail that this was newly conctructed. Presuming competent ventilation design I'd imagine the lead dust issue might be minimal. Just leaving you with needing to know how effective it is, which as I mentioned, extremely.

Pelican82
08-01-09, 04:28
My concern wouldn't be with lead dust, but with unspent powder collecting on the walls creating a potential fire hazard.

Would not be a problem though provided the walls are a good distance from the end lanes.

Wayne Dobbs
08-01-09, 10:19
That is exactly the kind of feedback I'm seeking. Thanks guys!

WD