PDA

View Full Version : Quick draw gun magnets

ZDL
07-30-09, 16:33

PlatoCATM
07-30-09, 17:02
I saw something similar at a gun show once that were coated with a thin rubber coat to prevent marring the finish of the gun. This offering does not seem to have a rubber coat, but I wonder if that finish is also non-marring. I was thinking at the time that it might be good for beside the bed or in a kitchen cabinet if you want to keep it out of sight but easily accessible provided, of course, you don't have kids that would snoop around and find it and you didn't actually store it there.

Tom_Jones
07-30-09, 17:21
deleted

PlatoCATM
07-30-09, 17:46
Thanks. I was too afraid of a gimmicky pitch over a magnet that I didn't watch it. It would be nice if they just listed the specs.

CleverNickname
07-30-09, 18:38
That looks like a good way to get something accidentally caught in the uncovered trigger guard and have an ND.

m4fun
07-30-09, 20:02
Interesting concept, but I recall a story a few years ago about an LEO escourting a bad guy into a room where he was getting an MRI(or cat scan, not sure) and WAP - LEO's 1911(I think) magnetically out of holster and right to the MRI machine, and an AD occured. Now that was a truly weird one, but...

I also wonder about magetizing your slide, etc - having this stuck to you slide for a long enough time some of the magnetism would of transfered to it. Not sure how long it would take. I am in no way saying firing steel case ammo would not allow for extraction due to magnetism or any crap like that. Just wondering...

kmrtnsn
07-31-09, 02:18
Most autos now equal; Stainless slide, stainless barrel, aluminium alloy or polymer frame. What is the magnet supposed to stick to?

Outrider
07-31-09, 03:33
Most autos now equal; Stainless slide, stainless barrel, aluminium alloy or polymer frame. What is the magnet supposed to stick to?

No offense, but you don't know much about stainless steel and magnets. Stainless steel covers a range of different alloys to make the steel rust resistant. Not all stainless steel is the same. Some stainless steel alloys are magnetic i.e. the alloy used in S&W revolvers.

markm
07-31-09, 09:52
Interesting concept, but I recall a story a few years ago about an LEO escourting a bad guy into a room where he was getting an MRI(or cat scan, not sure) and WAP - LEO's 1911(I think) magnetically out of holster and right to the MRI machine, and an AD occured. Now that was a truly weird one, but...

It was actually a cop going to get an MRI. His gun pulled to the magnet and discharged the round in the chamber even though the pistol was cocked and locked.

That was a significantly more powerful magnet than this gizmo though.

ZDL
07-31-09, 13:59
It was actually a cop going to get an MRI. His gun pulled to the magnet and discharged the round in the chamber even though the pistol was cocked and locked.

That was a significantly more powerful magnet than this gizmo though.

My wife is RT/CT/MR. Those things are nuts. Take a wooden clip board in there with the machine on and the metal clamp will bend open an impressive distance from the machine. Let go of it and........ well. It's funny, but only once.