PDA

View Full Version : Extractor Tension / Issue?

jmp45
07-30-09, 18:22
Please be patient guys.. I'm just learning how to walk.. Anyhow, I was trying to test the extractor by pulling it away from the bolt. It's suppose to snap back.. I could not get it to budge. I didn't use any tools, but I was unable to lift it away from the bolt. This is on a new m&p, never fired. I'm just trying to get it ready to take to the range.

Is this normal?

Mac5.56
07-30-09, 18:30
Just take the gun to the range and shoot it.

Col_Crocs
07-30-09, 18:32
I dont know the specs on M&P15s but that probably has to do with the stiffer spring/inset they have in there.
Id be more worried if it were soft and easy to lift.

jmp45
07-30-09, 19:05
thanks guys... I was going through the assembly guide v2, and it suggests to test the extractor tension. Pull it out, should snap back. Since I couldn't I thought their may be an issue. I guess the stiffer the extractor the better. I should have a sight next week.

RogerinTPA
07-30-09, 20:14
Have you fired the gun yet? Are you having extractor issues? If not, lube the "bolt carrier group" until it looks wet to the touch, then go shot the crap out of it. A good breaking in will "Proof" the weapon as reliable, IF, nothing goes "Tango Uniform" during the process. If it can go through 1000 rounds in a few days (in a weekend preferred), reliably, it should be GTG for a carbine class. If not a lot of ammo or time, I broke in 2 ARs, shooting 250 rounds every weekend for a month, periodically breaking it down and inspecting it for defects (Not cleaning it), a function check, re-lube, then back to the range until I reach 1K. YMMV.

jmp45
07-31-09, 08:50
Thanks Mr Harris.. I haven't shot it yet, waiting on sights. I put a light coat of tetra grease on the charge handle, bolt and carrier bearing surfaces and rem oil so it should be ready to go. Thanks again..

eng208
07-31-09, 15:55
Can I ask where you are putting the Rem oil? I personally think it evaporates leaving no lubrication. Might be ok on the external surfaces, but that is the only place I would consider using it.
Have fun shooting it.

jmp45
07-31-09, 16:06
I put tetra on the bolt, gas rings and added a little rem oil inside. tetra grease on the bearing surfaces of the carrier group. I'll probably pick up break free this weekend. So.. rem oil is not recommended for an AR?

C4IGrant
07-31-09, 16:40
Please be patient guys.. I'm just learning how to walk.. Anyhow, I was trying to test the extractor by pulling it away from the bolt. It's suppose to snap back.. I could not get it to budge. I didn't use any tools, but I was unable to lift it away from the bolt. This is on a new m&p, never fired. I'm just trying to get it ready to take to the range.

Is this normal?

Normal. If you can move it easily with your finger then it needs a new spring and insert.

C4

jmp45
07-31-09, 17:04
Thanks C4. The S&W manual had an inset that displays a test for extractor tension. I called S&W support, the tech said it is normal, he said he nearly broke a fingernail testing a new bolt. About the same here.. Thanks again, I guess this is a closed issue now..;)

Captains1911
07-31-09, 18:43
I put tetra on the bolt, gas rings and added a little rem oil inside. tetra grease on the bearing surfaces of the carrier group. I'll probably pick up break free this weekend. So.. rem oil is not recommended for an AR?

no, rem oil is not recommended, at least not on the BCG.

C4IGrant
07-31-09, 19:11

Not only is rem oil a bad idea, so is CLP/BF.

C4

Captains1911
07-31-09, 19:32
Not only is rem oil a bad idea, so is CLP/BF.

C4

CLP a bad idea? Please explain.

C4IGrant
07-31-09, 19:37
CLP a bad idea? Please explain.

Yes. Do you know the history behind CLP?

Simple question to ask yourself, how can something clean and lube at the same time. When you clean something, you remove the oil correct?

C4

eng208
07-31-09, 19:45
Yes. Do you know the history behind CLP?

Simple question to ask yourself, how can something clean an lube at the same time. When yo clean something, you remove the oil correct?

C4

In other words, use a cleaner for cleaning, and a lube (of substantial quality) to lube.

Not that hard to use both products, and works better.

Captains1911
07-31-09, 20:11
In other words, use a cleaner for cleaning, and a lube (of substantial quality) to lube.

Not that hard to use both products, and works better.

yeah, but tons of people, including the US military, have been using CLP for years, and it works, perhaps not as well as other products, but saying it's "a bad idea" is ridiculous.

eng208
07-31-09, 20:15
I think this is turning into another lube thread all of a sudden. CLP will work. Just, if you are not at WAR, and have time to clean, it is better to use a product dedicated for the individual tasks.:D Of course, I could start a MOBIL 1 tangent:p

C4IGrant
07-31-09, 21:06
yeah, but tons of people, including the US military, have been using CLP for years, and it works, perhaps not as well as other products, but saying it's "a bad idea" is ridiculous.

Do you know why and what CLP was designed for??

As it was designed, it works well and is a "good idea."

Just because other people (that might not know any better) use a product does not make it a good choice.

C4

jepp2
07-31-09, 21:59
If I remember correctly, my M&P came with the O-ring on the extractor spring. So I wouldn't expect you to be able to get any movement on the extractor. It was a BEAR to get the pin back in. Next time I take it apart, the O-ring is coming off.

jmp45
08-01-09, 09:29
Thanks guys, so since Break Free is CLP, I shouldn't use that? Should I be looking for Slip2000? Seems to be quite a few differing opinions on this.

Thanks Jepp for the heads up on the extractor..

C4IGrant
08-01-09, 10:10
Thanks guys, so since Break Free is CLP, I shouldn't use that? Should I be looking for Slip2000? Seems to be quite a few differing opinions on this.

You can use whatever you like. There are better lubes and cleaners out there than CLP/BF.

My personal choice for lube is WeaponShield and Machine Gunners Lube.

C4

jmp45
08-01-09, 10:21
Thanks C4, I may have to stop out there, I'm about 5 - 10 miles away from Mineral City.. Small world..

C4IGrant
08-01-09, 10:31
Thanks C4, I may have to stop out there, I'm about 5 - 10 miles away from Mineral City.. Small world..

LOL, for sure. There people on this forum that would kill to only be that far from us.

C4

spamsammich
08-01-09, 12:33

Break Free also makes a "LP" which is better suited for this application. It stays in place and is a bit more viscous than CLP.

Captains1911
08-01-09, 13:16

I don't want to get into a pissing match over which lube is better than others, but Breakfree CLP will work just fine, regardless of what some may say, and much better than remoil. Personally, I prefer Slip 2000 EWL, but if I ran out of that I'd have no problem using BF. I've heard good things about machine gunners lube too, and have quite a bit of it on hand (thanx LaRue), but have yet to try it.

Bottom line is any lube is better than no lube, try and few and see what you like best.

Quib
08-01-09, 14:04
Break Free also makes a "LP" which is better suited for this application. It stays in place and is a bit more viscous than CLP.

I use BF LP exclusively on my bolts and carriers. BF CLP is reserved as a general lube for the rest of the weapon.

jmp45
08-01-09, 19:27
C4, I'll stop out soon.. I picked up Break Free LP and Carbon Cutter today.. I'll start with that and stick to it if there are no issues. Thanks guys....

colek50
08-14-09, 22:41
bro, how do you install a new extractor spring? thanks

Quib
08-14-09, 22:52

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Metroliner/extractor.jpg

Iraqgunz
08-14-09, 22:53
You simply remove the old one and place the new spring and insert (fat part of the spring) goes into the hole. I then use a set of pliers and give it a quick press into place.