PDA

View Full Version : Wounded Blackwater contractor needs your support and prayers

Iraq Ninja
07-31-09, 14:43
Most of you probably didn't see it in the news, but a few weeks ago a BW helo went down here in Iraq. Though there were casualties, one guy is fighting for his life right now. I received the following email requesting cards and letters to help cheer him up a bit.

He is a former Marine who was working in support of the State Department. They want to get the word out to other contractors and anyone else who is interested.

Hey all,
For those that haven't heard, we had a helicopter accident a couple of weeks ago that left one of my friends dead, and another severely injured. Below is our latest update from Nick's father. I know most of you don't know Nick, but he is a really great young guy that will need a ton of support in the coming months. Like his father, I would like to flood his room with cards, toys, pictures, flags, whatever you can think of to send. He is recovering from severe burns on 70% of his body, so don't send flowers as they could cause an infection which is his biggest worry. Tell your friends at work, church, neighbors, the guy at the liquor store( Nick likes vodka), cops, crackheads, everyone in your email list, and anyone that can spare a few minutes and a card telling Nick to get well. He is a Marine that served over here with the 5th Marine Regiment before he started contracting, so if you know any Marines, tell them too. At the bottom of the page is his hospital address.
Thanks,
Todd G

=======

Nick had surgery today. I spoke to him beforehand and he looked strong.. I was with him 9 hours later and he took it like a Marine. They took the burnt skin off his back then flipped him over gave him a traceodomy(sp) then removed his right leg between the angle and knee. Then his left arm between his elbow between his elbow and wrist (closer to the wrist), Then removed his fingers and thumb from his right hand. They think that the thumb muscle in that right hand is dead and may remove his right hand Thursday. I don't know how many of you guys are good at praying but it would be sooooooo good if his thumb muscle and partial right hand can be salvaged. That is based on mondern prosetics technology. I know this is sad news but the other option is death. If he makes it, he will be able to walk, talk, see, drive, f*ck, have a wife and kids.

Assuming Nick makes it there are things we will need rolling forward. Near term: lets get the cards rolling,lets fill his room up as I am taping them to his wall, irrevrent is fine if not preferred. Once he is brought out of the heavy drug phase which should be within in 2 weeks, visits from his boys would be good.

Thank you. Stay alert and safe.

Ed Leotti

Nick Leotti
Tampa General Hospital Burn ICU
Room 606
1 Tampa General Circle
Tampa, FL 33606

N4LtRecce
07-31-09, 15:38
I'll send him something, thanks for sharing.

SeriousStudent
07-31-09, 17:53
Prayers sent. I'll get some cards going, too.

I was in the same regiment a long time ago, back when I carried a musket and cutlass. I'll pass the word to some other Misguided Children, and see what we can do for get-well letters.

I'll add him to the prayer chain at our church as well.

Mr.Goodtimes
07-31-09, 19:39
holy shit, tampa is only about 15min from my house. I actually go running down bayshore sometimes. hes in my prayers!

RogerinTPA
07-31-09, 21:20
Prayers sent.

Omega_556
07-31-09, 21:26
My family has prayed for him, and will pray for him often.

I also filled out a pray request for my church.

Vendetta
07-31-09, 21:34
Prayers out, will keep him in mind daily. Thanks for posting.

JackOSU
07-31-09, 22:34
A card will be going out this weekend. I have also sent to anyone I know that will hopefully do the same for him. Prayers also sent!

pleaforwar
07-31-09, 22:48
Prayers inbound.

militarymoron
07-31-09, 23:21
i wish and hope for the best.

thedog
07-31-09, 23:31
Keep your heart in the right place, and God bless, warrior.

dog

Cardiac Nurse
08-01-09, 07:08
praying in SC.please update if you can.

30 cal slut
08-01-09, 07:16
prayers on the way.

M4arc
08-01-09, 08:33
Do you think they'd let me bring vodka into the hospital?

I guess what they don't know won't hurt them...

SeriousStudent
08-01-09, 12:28
Do you think they'd let me bring vodka into the hospital?

I guess what they don't know won't hurt them...

"Oh hi, doctor! I brought some, uh, uh, hand sanitizer! Yeah, that's what this is. You can never be too careful, you know!"

I put a card in the mail this morning, and will have friends send some Monday from work.

Safetyhit
08-01-09, 17:35
Very best of luck to the man. Prayer sent.

13F3OL7
08-01-09, 19:47
Would a letter work? My local PX is pretty short on irreverent get well cards. May he have a speedy recovery.

10MMGary
08-01-09, 23:46
Thanks for posting this IN.
My Wife is a nurse at TGH, she has been for nearly 25 years. She worked a stink in burn unit, that Marine is in good hands. I will be sure and get some mail headed his way, and we pray for him and his family.

K.L. Davis
08-02-09, 00:49
May the Lord provide healing and comfort to him and his family.

Mail outbound on Monday.

Iraq Ninja
08-02-09, 11:26
Someone PMed me about his medical bills.

His care is covered under the Defense Base Act (DBA) along with a monthly check for the rest of his life in required.

Thanks for all the positive responses!

Iraqgunz
08-02-09, 13:23
I-Ninja,

Thanks for that post. I will get a card or something in the mail to him. Take care and stay safe.

usaffarmer
08-02-09, 22:25
Prayers will be said for him and his family from mine. A card will be in the mail monday morning!

Brother Rat
08-02-09, 22:35
Prayers out.

Get well soon warrior.

ranger3five
08-02-09, 23:32
sending prayers and praise for the job you guys do it goes to often unrecognized as a fellow security professional it is often a thankless job but my prayers and thoughts are with you brother . Get well soon .

Terminal Effect
08-03-09, 06:47
All the best, Nick. I wish you lots of strength and a speedy recovery.

Cardiac Nurse
08-03-09, 07:11
note sent from South Carolina...praying still

HAMMERDROP
08-04-09, 13:45
I have a good friend who lives in Tampa I'll see if his church can do something ...
God Bless You Nick

Michael

MSP "Sarge"
08-08-09, 22:53
I picked up a card tonight while out shopping. Will get it out tomorrow after church. Praying for ya Nick.

HAMMERDROP
08-10-09, 12:21
Hey Earl, here is the info!

Nick Leotti
Tampa General Hospital Burn ICU
Room 606
1 Tampa General Circle
Tampa, FL 33606

Thanks for the follow up, I heard this guy has been through a very tough time! See you soon!
Tebo

----- Original Message -----
To:
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 11:39 AM
Subject: Burn Patient

David, information on the burn patient at TGH was referred to me so I could visit if they permit visitors. I still don’t have his name, do you know? Please let me know and I will be going there tomorrow.

A good friend of mine in the Tampa Bay added Nick to a prayer chain -per request.
He will be getting a visitor tomorrow, or at least Nicks' father will be who I am sure is at his side. Gob Bless You Nick ...

Doing what I can from Missouri

Michael

believeraz
08-11-09, 22:23
I'll be in that AO on vacation shortly. I'll try to stop in and see Nick.

SWATcop556
08-12-09, 02:08
Prayers are out-bound from the Lone Star State. Added to the churches prayer lt s well. I'll see if I can find an irreverant card or two to send his way.

God Bless!!

Cardiac Nurse
08-26-09, 11:22
any updates???

Iraq Ninja
08-26-09, 11:57
No updates. I am home on leave, but I will try and send an email and find out.

Cardiac Nurse
08-26-09, 12:02
No updates. I am home on leave, but I will try and send an email and find out.
thanks...

COJAM
08-26-09, 21:06
May the LORD bring his healing touch to Nick and his family.

Iraq Ninja
08-27-09, 16:09
Update!

Just got this email...

To all.

I spoke with Nick's father this morning. He and his family are extremely grateful for all the support they have received. He gave me the latest update on Nick but has now opened a website so that you can keep up with his progress (as posted below). Continue your prayers and support as he will need them through the up coming months.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/nickleotti

JackOSU
08-27-09, 20:54
Thanks for the update on this. I just got done reading every single page and message on the website. Nick has a great support group with his family and friends. I look forward to his recovery. I sent out another email to a group of my familiy and friends to make sure they send a card with support if they hadn't done so in my original. Keep up the good fight Nick and we thank you for your service!

HAMMERDROP
12-06-09, 22:51
I signed his guestbook tonight ...let us not forget. It appears from a few of the other letters I read he may be doing much better. Let's pray for his speedy recovery which wont be typical but let's pray for the best.
I am on my out to my garden to do that now.

Michael

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/nickleotti/guestbook

the link it wouldn't fire up for me?

MSP "Sarge"
12-08-09, 22:59
Praying for him and his family tonight. Signed his book also.

HAMMERDROP
02-09-10, 11:18
I received a sad email this morning ...

It is with deep regret and with a sadness I have never known that I have to inform everyone that Nick passed away last night shortly before 8pm. He went peacefully with me and his two brothers by his side. We all had a hand on him as he took his last Earthly breath. Though Nick was not conscious I told him and his brothers earlier that" I was there when he was born and that I am here beside him at his death and it was an honor both times. " It is not possible to describe the amount of pride I have for how Nick lived his life and how courageous he has been these last torturous seven months.

After Nick's final breath I kissed his forehead and told him that I loved him and he gasped one last time as if to say "Love you too Dad" like he always did when I said goodbye.

It is our intention to place Nick in Arlington National Cemetery and we are working on the details now. I will post the funeral date as soon I know. It would do my heart good to have a full crowd to honor the honorable. I am so thankful for the support and prayers you all have offered on Nick behalf. For those that personally knew Nick please know that time will wear away the layers of sorrow that we now feel and what will remain will be a polished memory of Nick and all the positive experiences we shared.

Ed L

Michael

Iraq Ninja
02-09-10, 11:45
Very sad news. I thought he was on the road to recovery.

Safetyhit
02-09-10, 11:53
Made me sick to read that.

God Bless.

BiggLee71
02-09-10, 12:02
I shed a tear for my brother Marine (and as a father of 2 sons) as I read this today. R.I.P Warrior.

USAFR
02-09-10, 12:33
to expresss my sadness.

Vic303
02-09-10, 12:49
I offer up my prayer and sympathy to his family and friends.

1Cor. 15:51-58
(KJV)

civilian
02-09-10, 12:59
Damn. RIP brother. Seeing the photos on his memorial site of the helo setting down on LZW brings back great memories. Sad to see his story end this way.

believeraz
02-09-10, 13:51
I visited Nick in the hospital last August. He was sedated, but responded a bit to me, and I talked to him and prayed over him.

I spent some time talking with the Burn ICU nursing staff. They knew he was an unusual case, because normally with a severe injury such as Nick's, friends and coworkers flock in. Nick's friends and coworkers were more than six thousand miles away. What boggled them was that they'd never seen any patient in their ICU have so much mail before. Nick's dad would read the cards and letters to him all the time, but they said he could never get ahead of the constantly growing piles of mail. The entire front desk of the nurses' station was covered in patient flowers (as they couldn't be in the rooms.) They were all Nick's flowers.

The nurses were incredibly impressed with Nick's heart and fortitude, and he'd made quite an impression on them, despite being sedated for most of his time there (at that time).

It was a blessing to have had Nick's overwatch above. We are diminished.

believeraz
02-09-10, 13:59
Very sad news. I thought he was on the road to recovery.

Infection claims most folks with burns as severe as his were. The longterm survival rates for burns that severe are single digits.

SPARTAN HOPLITE ARMS
02-09-10, 14:08
God rest his soul.

GermanSynergy
02-09-10, 14:29
RIP Brave Warrior.....

AirTrafficControl
02-09-10, 17:46
Sad. RIP Marine

VooDoo6Actual
02-09-10, 17:47
RIP Warrior...

SeriousStudent
02-09-10, 17:58
Fair winds and following seas, Nick. Rest with your fellow warriors in Arlington, where our heroes sleep.

May you be in a place where you are fit and strong, where the only painkiller you need is a friend's smile.

May your friends and family receive peace and strength during this time of trial.

Cardiac Nurse
02-09-10, 20:06
Prayers will continue for Nick's family and friends. May God comfort those who mourn....

MSP "Sarge"
02-09-10, 20:18
Yea I read the sad news today also. Really brought a tear to my eyes as I watched my two boys wrestle around in the living room. What a fight Nick endored. I am praying for his family and friends.

Iraqgunz
02-10-10, 05:01
Damn it. Rest in Peace, Nick.

Detmongo
02-10-10, 10:05
R I P Sir

JackOSU
02-10-10, 14:25
Very sad news. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. I did not know the man, but I kept up with his website for months after and sent cards and made all of my friends and family send them as well. To me it's very humbling to know of folks like Nick that risk it all and ask for nothing in return. They are the true heroes walking among us. Those that have been laid to rest have made the ultimate sacrifice that many tend to forget. R.I.P. Nick. I know I will never forget your story.

militarymoron
02-10-10, 14:39
RIP nick, and my condolences to his family.

b6b
02-10-10, 15:18
The funeral location should be posted soon, [url]http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/nickleotti[/ur

m24shooter
02-10-10, 20:48
Just damn.